PDA

View Full Version : OU corner says Tebow falls below Big 12's best

batman15
01-04-2009, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3809361

some highlights from the article:

Oklahoma sophomore cornerback Dominique Franks said during interviews with the media Sunday morning at the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa that Tebow would have been no better than the fourth-best quarterback in the Big 12 this season.

"If you look at the three best quarterbacks in the country, they came from the Big 12," said Franks, referring to Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, Texas' Colt McCoy and Texas Tech's Graham Harrell.

Franks didn't stop there, either. He said the Heisman voters got it right this year in selecting Bradford for the coveted award, no doubt spicing up the prelude to Thursday's FedEx BCS National Championship Game.

"With us being in Florida and playing against Florida, everybody's going to think Tebow should have won the Heisman," Franks said. "But the right person won the Heisman, and we're going to go out there and show everybody the reason why he won it."

Franks said the best quarterbacks in the Big 12 were more difficult to prepare for than Tebow, who's passed for 22 touchdowns, rushed for 10 touchdowns and thrown just two interceptions during the Gators' nine-game winning streak.

"Going into a game and knowing a quarterback's going to throw the ball 40 times a game versus coming into a game and knowing he's probably only going to throw it about 15 or 20. ... It makes it a lot harder to prepare for those [Big 12] guys," Franks said.

The Sooners' second-team All-Big 12 cornerback also said he was unconcerned about giving Tebow any extra motivation. Historically, Tebow has played some of his best games after being called out by opposing players.

"No, he said he wanted to face a Big 12 defense," countered Franks, who had four interceptions this season. "It's been great listening to all the comments they've been making. On January 8, we're going to see. Everybody is saying our defense is suspect in the back end. Hopefully, he'll throw me the ball a couple of times, and I can get my hands on it."

DRob27
01-04-2009, 02:19 PM
always love a little bit of drama

i hope that kid gets destroyed on the 8th

Kn0Kn00dL3s
01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
You gotta remember Tebow is more of a "football player" than a prototypical QB.

His passing attempts are ridiculously low compared to almost all of the Big 12 QBs. Dom is talking about Tebow's ability as a passer.

Yes, occassionally he does make a decent throw, but his receivers are all fast and make great adjustment to make plays on the ball

gogators222
01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
always love a little bit of drama

i hope that kid gets destroyed on the 8th

LOL @ "kid"

more like manchild

GoldBlue
01-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't say 4th best...

Bradford > McCoy > Tebow

I think McCoy is a good version of Tebow.

hardgainer14
01-04-2009, 02:30 PM
is it the 8th yet?? argh

DRob27
01-04-2009, 02:37 PM
LOL @ "kid"

more like manchild

i refer to college football player as kids for some reason lol, even though most are older than me

Dennis71
01-04-2009, 02:48 PM
i dont like Tebow.. but there is one thing u cannot deny...

he is a winner, he will do anything for his team to win, and he honestly seems like a great teammate... no homo

rustov7
01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Tebow was going to play as hard as humanly possible anyway.. that guy was just making sure everyone knew what tebow said about their D..

In case anyone didn't already know.

Team Punishment
01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't say 4th best...

Bradford > McCoy > Tebow

I think McCoy is a good version of Tebow.

lol Big 12 homer much?

Sec Defense >>>>> Big 12 defense. Ask TT.

GoldBlue
01-04-2009, 04:04 PM
lol Big 12 homer much?

Sec Defense >>>>> Big 12 defense. Ask TT.

I didn't mention Harrell or TT, did I?

lol SEC Defense? How did Bama's D fare against Utah? Oh lawd. Utah beat TCU on a last ditch play, the TCU team which lost to OU by 25...

The_Albatross
01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
This coming from a corner who can't play defense.

And while I am not a fan of any of the top rated teams this year, I'd like to point out that Tebow would have won the heisman again if 150 or so voters didn't leave him off their ballots entirely. Not acknowledging him as one of the top 3 is ridiculous. It came down to a region bias, along with not wanting to make him the 2nd player to win 2 of them.

Theater Jock
01-04-2009, 04:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3809361

some highlights from the article:

Oklahoma sophomore cornerback Dominique Franks said during interviews with the media Sunday morning at the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort & Spa that Tebow would have been no better than the fourth-best quarterback in the Big 12 this season.

Franks didn't stop there, either. He said the Heisman voters got it right this year in selecting Bradford for the coveted award, no doubt spicing up the prelude to Thursday's FedEx BCS National Championship Game.

Franks said the best quarterbacks in the Big 12 were more difficult to prepare for than Tebow, who's passed for 22 touchdowns, rushed for 10 touchdowns and thrown just two interceptions during the Gators' nine-game winning streak.

The Sooners' second-team All-Big 12 cornerback also said he was unconcerned about giving Tebow any extra motivation. Historically, Tebow has played some of his best games after being called out by opposing players.

I dont know what to make of this.. Everythiong in me wants to call him a ****ing retard. BUt also theres a chance that what hes saying aint bull****.
However I think Tebow is as good as Those big 12 kids. And Bradford did deserv to win the Hesiman.

However.....

I'm not a sec homer. But I think this kid does'nt need to worry about tebow as much as the other threats on the team. You can ne prepared for tebow all you want. Percy Harvin And Chris rainey and that other dude whos name I cant seem to remeber. Thats a different matter.

cp3wfu
01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
umm.... its true, all 3 are better "quarterbacks" than tebow

SwagMorris
01-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I dont know what to make of this.. Everythiong in me wants to call him a ****ing retard. BUt also theres a chance that what hes saying aint bull****.
However I think Tebow is as good as Those big 12 kids. And Bradford did deserv to win the Hesiman.

However.....

I'm not a sec homer. But I think this kid does'nt need to worry about tebow as much as the other threats on the team. You can ne prepared for tebow all you want. Percy Harvin And Chris rainey and that other dude whos name I cant seem to remeber. Thats a different matter.

A+ spelling

Blowsox13
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Tebow may be the most overrated athlete i've ever seen.

See sig.

Team Punishment
01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I didn't mention Harrell or TT, did I?

lol SEC Defense? How did Bama's D fare against Utah? Oh lawd. Utah beat TCU on a last ditch play, the TCU team which lost to OU by 25...

Mccoy is a a good version of Tebow... how many national championships does Mccoy have?

And I guess no one is still going to give Utah any credit. Its easier to use NCAA FB math... TCU almost beats Utah, TCU loses big to Oklahoma, Oklahoma loses to Texas, Texas loses TT, TT loses to Ole Miss, Ole Miss loses to Alabama, want to keep going?

Freudenfahrer
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Mccoy is a a good version of Tebow... how many national championships does Mccoy have?

Same number Tebow has as a starter.

Burn_Notice
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Looking forward to Dominique Franks having to eat his words.

Team Punishment
01-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Same number Tebow has as a starter.

Played in 14 games and accounted for 13 TDs in a National Championship season. I think that certifies him.

Back to the drawing board for you.

rustov7
01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Played in 14 games and accounted for 13 TDs in a National Championship season. I think that certifies him.

Back to the drawing board for you.

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that Chris Leak had an outstanding final season and was damn near perfect in the national champ game needs to go back to that drawing board.

Tebow had maybe 5% to do with winning that national championship and in my books, he hasn't won one yet.

It's like sitting on the bench for the patriots as the 3rd string back-up QB saying you've won super bowls.... no you f*cking didn't.

Team Punishment
01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that Chris Leak had an outstanding final season and was damn near perfect in the national champ game needs to go back to that drawing board.

I agree he did...but would he have gotten there by himself? Obvious answer is no.

Tebow had maybe 5% to do with winning that national championship and in my books, he hasn't won one yet.

13 total TDs probably averages out to be more than 5%... I didnt do the math but...

It's like sitting on the bench for the patriots as the 3rd string back-up QB saying you've won super bowls.... no you f*cking didn't.

If you contribute 13 TDs and versatility in the rushing game and passing and come on the field and give your team a different look, you certainly did. Its called "contribution" on a "team sport".

johnny87
01-04-2009, 06:59 PM

lol what a hater. Led the team in rushing TD's is not the same thing as a 3rd string qb.

Team Punishment
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
lol what a hater. Led the team in rushing TD's is not the same thing as a 3rd string qb.

Yea, thats what Im saying too. I knew the Tebow haters would show up.

For the record, Im indifferent about Tebow and UF. As I think Pat White is a much better QB than Tebow, but you cant deny what hes done.

GoldBlue
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM

And I guess no one is still going to give Utah any credit. Its easier to use NCAA FB math... TCU almost beats Utah, TCU loses big to Oklahoma, Oklahoma loses to Texas, Texas loses TT, TT loses to Ole Miss, Ole Miss loses to Alabama, want to keep going?

Yes I want to keep going... Ole Miss beats Florida @ the swamp.

Watch both McCoy and Tebow play... McCoy is the lifeblood of that prolific UT offense. When you think of UT, you think of McCoy and his dual threat. McCoy can run, and he has a much better and more accurate arm than Tebow.

Oh and McCoy won a National Championship too, if you want to argue that. Texas did win it in 2005... fyi. :)

Team Punishment
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes I want to keep going... Ole Miss beats Florida @ the swamp.

Not such a bad loos now aye? After embarrassing a Big 12 school on TV, maybe Ole Miss isnt so bad after all.

Watch both McCoy and Tebow play... McCoy is the lifeblood of that prolific UT offense. When you think of UT, you think of McCoy and his dual threat. McCoy can run, and he has a much better and more accurate arm than Tebow.

Im actually a big Mccoy fan, Im a fan of him on and off the field, seems like a cool kid and def. a stud at the QB position, so I cant nor do I want to say anythign bad about him. BUT UTs offense is so prolific because of the absolutely terrible defense shown in the Big 12. I, unfortunately, am not impressed by a lot of the offense that goes on in the Big 12. Its a mere combination of solid offenses, AND poor defenses. Its common knowledge the Big 12 isnt concerned with defense. Ask Oklahoma the last couple of years in BCS games. Go Mountaineers!

Oh and McCoy won a National Championship too, if you want to argue that. Texas did win it in 2005... fyi. :)

He was reshirted and didnt see the field. Tebow on the other hand had 13 TDs and over 800 total yards. I was hoping youd fall into that trap :)

JHogg11
01-04-2009, 07:32 PM
I think that Oklahoma State losing to Oregon and Texas Tech losing to Ole Miss gives us some pretty good information about what's going to happen in a few days.

pumped12
i think bradford is better than tebow, however tebow seems to be a better leader imo. i dont like mccoy but as a huge sooner fan i have to respect his play b/c he can get you both ways. he seems to have a better arm than tebow. bradford can run he juss hasnt had to

batman15

comparing scores is not an accurate way of telling anything lol

See scores of OU/TX, TX/TTU, TTU/OU.....

scotyg
01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Although this season's Sooners have allowed more points than any previous defense in the Stoops era, they have shown a knack for producing big plays, ranking first nationally in turnover margin, third in sacks and eighth in tackles for losses.

didnt know that about OU

batman15
01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I think that Oklahoma State losing to Oregon and Texas Tech losing to Ole Miss gives us some pretty good information about what's going to happen in a few days.

oh yeah, and THIS ^^^^^^^^

scotyg
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

tech was overrated, people get fooled by the gimmick offense. they have no running game and from what i saw, harrel played bad.

Oklahoma state and Oregon was a close game, unlike Ole Miss' blowout of tech, Oklahoma State was leading but allowed Oregon to rally and according to the score, prove they were a slightly better team. a close loss shouldnt say something that negative about a conference to the extent that you can say that it proves they suck.

batman15
01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
tech was overrated, people get fooled by the gimmick offense. they have no running game and from what i saw, harrel played bad.

the same gimmick offense that beat Texas? lol GTFO

Oklahoma state and Oregon was a close game, unlike Ole Miss' blowout of tech, Oklahoma State was leading but allowed Oregon to rally and according to the score, prove they were a slightly better team..

according to the score???? well what else would we go by? lol again, GTFO

a close loss shouldnt say something that negative about a conference to the extent that you can say that it proves they suck.

Everybody on this board said that the Pac 10 sucked, and what did they do? go out and win all 5 bowl games and they beat 4 Top 25 in the process.

JHogg11
01-04-2009, 07:43 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16343161/

This is the list of conference bowl records. When you have the LSUs of the world crushing the Ga Techs of the world, you have to realize that people aren't joking when they say that the SEC is the best conference.

batman15
01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
When you have the LSUs of the world crushing the Ga Techs of the world, you have to realize that people aren't joking when they say that the SEC is the best conference.

please dont use SEC vs ACC as an example...

kthxbye

GoldBlue
01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Not such a bad loos now aye? After embarrassing a Big 12 school on TV, maybe Ole Miss isnt so bad after all.

Im actually a big Mccoy fan, Im a fan of him on and off the field, seems like a cool kid and def. a stud at the QB position, so I cant nor do I want to say anythign bad about him. BUT UTs offense is so prolific because of the absolutely terrible defense shown in the Big 12. I, unfortunately, am not impressed by a lot of the offense that goes on in the Big 12. Its a mere combination of solid offenses, AND poor defenses. Its common knowledge the Big 12 isnt concerned with defense. Ask Oklahoma the last couple of years in BCS games. Go Mountaineers!

He was reshirted and didnt see the field. Tebow on the other hand had 13 TDs and over 800 total yards. I was hoping youd fall into that trap :)

A National Championship is a National Championship. Past stats really don't matter at this point. McCoy's season > Tebows, and the Heisman results support that.

If you want to look outside of the Big 12, look how OU did against TCU, who's defense is much better than Florida's. And what about that great secondary of Cincinnati?

JHogg11
01-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Oklahoma state and Oregon was a close game, unlike Ole Miss' blowout of tech, Oklahoma State was leading but allowed Oregon to rally and according to the score, prove they were a slightly better team. a close loss shouldnt say something that negative about a conference to the extent that you can say that it proves they suck.

I only saw bits and pieces of the Ole Miss/Tech game but from what I saw, Ole Miss' defense did a good job shutting down TT, something that most Big XII teams couldn't do all year. It's just one example that justifies the idea that Big XII defenses are weak.

scotyg
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Everybody on this board said that the Pac 10 sucked, and what did they do? go out and win all 5 bowl games and they beat 4 Top 25 in the process.

that not what i said, my quote was somebody implying the big 12 sucked because of a close loss and a blowout of an overrated team.

and im not gonna lie, i fell asleep during halftime of the Texas- Texas Tech game, i had been hunting since 630 that morning and i was tired.

Team Punishment
01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
A National Championship is a National Championship. Past stats really don't matter at this point. McCoy's season > Tebows, and the Heisman results support that.

Haha, what? No it isnt? Tebow actually contributed to the season, Mccoy didnt even play? I hope you were just messing around with that one.

Yea, Hesiman results are ALWAYS given to the player who has the best season.

I totally overestimated your CFB knowledge apparently.

If you want to look outside of the Big 12, look how OU did against TCU, who's defense is much better than Florida's. And what about that great secondary of Cincinnati?

TCUs D is better than UFs? They play in the MWC lol

Wow dude, just wow.

Im done with this argument, that was absolutely no fun at all.

scotyg
01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I only saw bits and pieces of the Ole Miss/Tech game but from what I saw, Ole Miss' defense did a good job shutting down TT, something that most Big XII teams couldn't do all year. It's just one example that justifies the idea that Big XII defenses are weak.

besides OU

JHogg11
01-04-2009, 07:50 PM
please dont use SEC vs ACC as an example...

kthxbye

Look I went to an ACC school. Both conferences had the same record out of conference, 37-11. The ACC is tied for 3rd most in total bowl wins. You can't punish them for putting extra teams in bowls that didn't win, not to mention that NC State lost their star QB before halftime and Clemson played without an offensive or defensive coordinator.

I'm not really trying to justify the ACC. I was just using that one game as an example of an SEC team that is looked at as weak beating a team that was looked at as pretty strong.

scotyg
01-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Look I went to an ACC school. Both conferences had the same record out of conference, 37-11. The ACC is tied for 3rd most in total bowl wins. You can't punish them for putting extra teams in bowls that didn't win, not to mention that NC State lost their star QB before halftime and Clemson played without an offensive or defensive coordinator.

I'm not really trying to justify the ACC. I was just using that one game as an example of an SEC team that is looked at as weak beating a team that was looked at as pretty strong.

Clemson still lost to nebraska, and nebraska is not very good.

JHogg11
01-04-2009, 07:51 PM
besides OU

Who lost to Texas who lost to TT. I'm just talking about conferences and schedule strength here.

GoldBlue
01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Haha, what? No it isnt? Tebow actually contributed to the season, Mccoy didnt even play? I hope you were just messing around with that one.

Yea, Hesiman results are ALWAYS given to the player who has the best season.

I totally overestimated your CFB knowledge apparently.

TCUs D is better than UFs? They play in the MWC lol

Wow dude, just wow.

Im done with this argument, that was absolutely no fun at all.

Heisman = Best play in CFB

LULZ, How did the SEC do against the MWC in the Sugar Bowl. I was hoping you'd fall into that tarp. :)

batman15
01-04-2009, 07:53 PM
If you want to look outside of the Big 12, look how OU did against TCU, who's defense is much better than Florida's

Florida plays the #19 toughest schedule, UF is 3-1 vs. Top 30 and 1-0 vs. Top 10

TCU plays the #76 toughest schedule, TCU is 1-2 vs. Top 30 and 0-2 vs. Top 10

BIG 12 LOGIC FAILS

Umm yeah, Tebow has one brah

johnny87
01-04-2009, 07:53 PM

clemson was the 9th ranked team in the ACC i believe.

Team Punishment
01-04-2009, 07:55 PM

As voted on by?? lol the Heisman is rarely a representation of the best player in college football.

LULZ, How did the SEC do against the MWC in the Sugar Bowl. I was hoping you'd fall into that tarp. :)

So you have Bama & TCU and what about the rest of the MWC? A lot of high powered offenses for TCU to defend against? Oh boy.

JHogg11
01-04-2009, 07:55 PM

I mean Clemson was like the 7th best team in the ACC and Nebraska is probably the 6th best team in the Big XII. Whoopdy ****. My only point is that Clemson played without either coordinator and still should have won.