PDA

View Full Version : PWO carbs question

hockeyplaya13
12-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Do the carbs have to be taken PWO? Could I sip like a big gatorade (1qt) throughout my workout, and then chug the rest when I finish, and then have a protein shake? I'm not into mixing the carbs with my protein shake, so I usually just drink a gatorade and a shake, but that leaves me stuffed and sloshy. I can't think of why sipping on the gatorade would be a problem, but then again I don't know much about this stuff.

thanks

Quinn77
12-28-2008, 08:11 PM
There is a really good sticky that will answer your question :D

Fenis
12-28-2008, 08:19 PM
That would be fine. A lot of guys sip on sugary carbs during their workout to keep blood glucose up which is great for long, high intensity workouts. So if you can do that without feeling sick while lifting then go ahead. :)

Murdok1741
12-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Do the carbs have to be taken PWO? Could I sip like a big gatorade (1qt) throughout my workout, and then chug the rest when I finish, and then have a protein shake? I'm not into mixing the carbs with my protein shake, so I usually just drink a gatorade and a shake, but that leaves me stuffed and sloshy. I can't think of why sipping on the gatorade would be a problem, but then again I don't know much about this stuff.

thanks

Gatorade would be fine throughout the workout. Be sure to mix it with a protein powder to get the best possible effect. The hormone cortisol, is released during a workout, which breaks down amino acids. Consumption of a high glycemic carb such as a gatorade, will cause a release in another hormone called insulin (one of the most anabolic hormones in the body). When pairing this form of carbohydrate with protein, it essentially serves as energy for your muscle. Furthermore, the release of insulin as a result of this carbohydrate, will inhibit cortisol.

You would probably do well to drink gatorade throughout the workout, and then gatorade+protein as soon as possible after the workout. This will in effect, limit the muscle break down. The carbs from gatorade will be protein sparing.

Blindead
12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Alan Aragon's sticky in the forum will answer your question very well. In short, no, it doesn't matter when you have them. It doesn't matter if they're dextrose or oatmeal or sweet potatoes or whatever.