PDA

View Full Version : Cutting: Weight vs Reps

ForceFan27
12-27-2008, 02:47 PM
In the past year, I have gained about 15-20 pounds. I was about 150 and today I'm at 168. I have added a good deal of mass and am ready to start cutting the fat. WHen I started a year ago, I could bench press 115 pounds - one time. Last week I did 4 sets of 10 with 70lb DBs...good for me isuppose.

Currently, my routine lookes like this:
1. One muscle group per day
2. 6 different exercises, 4 sets each, 8-10 reps per set...for a total of 24 sets

My question is this...do I lower the weight and up the reps, or lower the reps and up the weight. I want to keep as much muscle as possible as well as continue to increase my strength gains.

Thanks in advance...

DarinK
12-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't change my routine when I cut, only the calories. That's just me though, maybe others do differently.

BiGGz28
12-27-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't change my routine when I cut, only the calories. That's just me though, maybe others do differently.

i fell pretty much the same way,
i lift the same, but i up the cardio and decrease the cals

in10city
12-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Radical changes are generally not necessary. [I'm not much of a fan of 1 muscle group per day high volume routines but I digress]

If heavy training gives you the best growth results, it will also help retain muscle while dieting. Switching to "higher reps" (define it) or lower reps for that matter for the sake of it will probably result in some muscle loss.

So if you get results from heavy training, stick with it but with more intensity techniques. Same with higher reps. And let your diet and cardio take care of the body fat for the most part. But don't be afraid to include some higher rep work in order to stimulate and activate other muscle fibers and adaption mechanisms.

While heavy training is good for maintaining muscle mass while dieting, it doesn't have a large impact on factors such as hormones involved in lipolysis and muscle glycogen depletion. Depletion/metabolic training (weights or cardio) expends more energy, generates a lipolysis hormonal response and depletes muscle glycogen. A combination of the two makes sense from my experience.

mpipes
12-27-2008, 08:04 PM
My question is this...do I lower the weight and up the reps, or lower the reps and up the weight. I want to keep as much muscle as possible as well as continue to increase my strength gains.

Thanks in advance...

Lower reps/sets/volume and more weight. Your reps are actually good but depending how hard you cut you may need to back off volume to only 1-2 exercises per part and only 2-3 sets per exercise because of reduced recovery ability from eating less calories.

izzylicious
12-28-2008, 12:41 AM
if u are not doing it heavy , ur muscles are allmost doing nothing , u need to put heavy weight , and not THAT heavy , something u can get 8~15 rep. with

MarkVI
12-28-2008, 11:40 AM
As long as you're going very intense and the end results is forced adaptation for your muscles than it doesn't matter....I usually lower reps and volume and up the weight because it makes it easier to do that because I have less energy to do high volume.

in10city
12-28-2008, 12:15 PM
As long as you're going very intense and the end results is forced adaptation for your muscles than it doesn't matter....I usually lower reps and volume and up the weight because it makes it easier to do that because I have less energy to do high volume.
Yessir. Keeping the in10city high is key :)

IrishPilot
12-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Agreed. Seems like most of the articles and literature Ive read suggest sticking to compound lifts and lower reps and volume...but increase intensity (short rest periods). Keep a routine you feel good about, but it seems that often the general consensus is drop down to something in the 5 rep arena to focus on keeping strength during the cut as hypertrophy will allegedly cease. In my little experience, Ive found better progress going back to a 5x5 style compound program during cuts. YMMV as they say.

Im sure you have read others mention that 90% of a cut is diet. Thats solid advice as well of course.

izzylicious
12-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Heavy weight, with good numbers of rep is what u need. otherwise u wont stimulate ur muscle to make new muscle tissue ..