PDA

View Full Version : is milk that bad?

GCervantez
12-27-2008, 12:16 AM
i was told to not drink milk because 1 ill be drinking my calories and 2 it has sugar and carbs fat etc.. i drink milk everyday but that consists of my morning breakfast which i a bowl of cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats) and sometimes a fruit.. i messure what i take and it's usually 1 cup of cereal with 3/4ths cup of 2% milk..

mpipes
12-27-2008, 12:29 AM
No milk is NOT bad. It's a good source of protein and calcium, both of which you need. it's also got a lot of potassium which is good.

The only reason not to have milk is if you have an allergy or lactose intolerance.

Other than that, 2-3 servings per day will do you quite well.

masterjb
12-27-2008, 12:31 AM
It is high on the insulin index though I believe, so may be good to avoid it more during dieting.

Nose_tackle_66
12-27-2008, 01:20 AM
just dont drink a gallon of it a day
i did good losing weight and i drank 2 servings a day 8oz of low fat milk

Hotmoltenlava
12-27-2008, 01:42 AM
You need to change your source for nutritional information, OP.

torn8o
12-27-2008, 02:06 AM
Milk is most likely the most perfect food on earth. Protein, carbs, nutrition for days. Great source of casein. If I couldn't have my glass of skim milk before bed, I don't know what I'd do. Think of it this way ... every baby and young animal in the WORLD experiences their highest growth rate and the healthiest period of their lives while drinking down gallon after gallon of milk. It's like anything else. Moderation=good ... overdoing=bad. It's true ... milk does a body good!

LoveANurse
12-27-2008, 02:10 AM
so what? the benefits of drinking milk FAR outway any so called cons. its a great source of protein and is ideal for replacing electrolytes after exercise and its high in calcium. you can get heaps of different varieties. the no fat and low fat versions are very low cal and can make a great addition to any meal like cereal or shakes and add a great protein and carb punch.
drink up. if you dont want to drink your cals then add junket to it, either way milk is great

MarkVI
12-27-2008, 03:06 AM
It is high on the insulin index though I believe, so may be good to avoid it more during dieting.

No no no no.....Just......no.

Insulin spike would not only promote protein synthesis but also deter LBM breakdown. But still -- it's irrelevant....you're in a calorie defecit!!!

izzylicious
12-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Milk is aweasome. I LOVE MILK. but drinking calories isnt good while dieting. as well as it have carbs and fats. keep it for when u start bulking.

Lemonzest
12-27-2008, 03:28 AM
Cow Juice is amazing, pity i cant drink it on keto :(

cawiau
12-27-2008, 04:18 AM
Milk is aweasome. I LOVE MILK. but drinking calories isnt good while dieting. as well as it have carbs and fats. keep it for when u start bulking.

I been drinking milk since before I started cutting and never stopped!
I get about 30-45 oz a day!
And I still managed to lose 48.5 lbs so far!

izzylicious
12-27-2008, 05:51 AM
sometimes it depends on ur body type or how far u wanna go. i mean , eat some beef with no carbs or drink some milk with carbs? i would go for the beef personally. but while bulkin i will go back to drinking milk EVERYDAY. i love milk so much XD

torn8o
12-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Why does it have to be give or take? I eat a little beef, drink a little milk, have a few carbs with every meal, etc. Spread the love when it comes to nutrition and give your body some variety. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you can work a lot of different foods into your diet and come away healthier for it --

belairdfence99
12-27-2008, 06:48 AM

....?

goodfella0729
12-27-2008, 07:52 AM
i drink 8 oz of fat free milk with my PWO shake everyday. hasnt hindered my results any

GCervantez
12-27-2008, 10:42 AM
You need to change your source for nutritional information, OP.

that's why im asking here because i know people here have had real results. Thnx to everybody that has answered! Yes i love milk and i love my morning cereal, but its not something i NEED to have and since i want to lose as much weight as i can as fast as i can im going to lower my intake just a little. Im not goin to say goodbye to it but maybe skip my cereal breakfast instead of everyday to every other day..

Primol
12-27-2008, 11:00 AM
you can eat and drink whatever you want man. have pizzas, cheeseburgers, gallons of milk and pastas everyday. use the thing called "google" and do a little research on milk. you will see the good and bad. make your own decision.

imo, i wouldnt drink it it on a cut. there are better options out there. i whole heartily believe in never drink your calories.

edit: i love the people on gear saying they drink a gallon of milk a day, when you know their metabolism is in hyper drive. "almost" everything they eat gets converted to muscle. good stuff.

masterjb
12-27-2008, 11:21 AM
No no no no.....Just......no.

Insulin spike would not only promote protein synthesis but also deter LBM breakdown. But still -- it's irrelevant....you're in a calorie defecit!!!

sure it promotes protein synthesis... and fat storage. Yes you are in a caloric deficit, but too many spikes in insulin will deter fat loss...Avoiding insulin is the main reason keto diets are so successful.

Why does it have to be give or take? I eat a little beef, drink a little milk, have a few carbs with every meal, etc. Spread the love when it comes to nutrition and give your body some variety. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you can work a lot of different foods into your diet and come away healthier for it --
true

Hotmoltenlava
12-27-2008, 11:27 AM
sure it promotes protein synthesis... and fat storage.

A calorie surplus promotes fat storage. Milk won't promote fat storage unless you are in a calorie surplus. Calories in versus calories out is the number one rule. Everything else is secondary.

masterjb
12-27-2008, 11:28 AM
A calorie surplus promotes fat storage. Milk won't promote fat storage unless you are in a calorie surplus. Calories in versus calories out is the number one rule. Everything else is secondary.

duh, that's not what I was implying. More insulin however does not promote fat loss.

SPC123
12-27-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't think drinking milk is bad per se, but if I am going to consume calories on dairy, I am doing it with yogurt, cottage cheese and maybe some shredded cheddar to add some flavor to a salad or broccoli. I only drink water. I mix my whey protein shakes with water. I don't even take fruit juice with my creatine, prefering instead to eat a high GI fruit 15-20 minutes before, and take the creatine with the protein shake.

Drinking calories is bad in my opinion, particularly when there are so many healthful and filling dairy products that will get you the same, if not more benefit than milk.

Hotmoltenlava
12-27-2008, 12:52 PM

sure it promotes protein synthesis... and fat storage.

duh, that's not what I was implying.

Yeah, you're right.....you never implied that you should avoid dairy or that dairy promotes fat storage. My mistake. Lol.

nesse
12-27-2008, 01:33 PM
i was told to not drink milk because 1 ill be drinking my calories and 2 it has sugar and carbs fat etc.. i drink milk everyday but that consists of my morning breakfast which i a bowl of cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats) and sometimes a fruit.. i messure what i take and it's usually 1 cup of cereal with 3/4ths cup of 2% milk..

nah its not bad
but it DOES have a good amount of sugar, so just keep it in moderation.

im sure the honey bunches of oats has about as much sugar as the milk too, so just make sure to be aware of how much you're taking in in total.

masterjb
12-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, you're right.....you never implied that you should avoid dairy or that dairy promotes fat storage. My mistake. Lol.

Lol... Silly hot molten lava...Don't misunderstand me ... I should have said in a caloric surplus to make things clear for you. And I would avoid dairy when dieting. The insulin response will hinder your fat loss. Yes you are in a caloric deficit and you will not store fat, but you will not lose it as easily as you would without the insulin spike from the milk. This is my point! Take what you need OP.

trance__dreamer
12-27-2008, 03:30 PM
i think i'm lactose intolerant, as every time i consume dairy, (had about 1L of 2%, a buncha mozza, & a buncha light cheddar on christmas day,) i seem to retain a shiiiiit loaaaad of water. i used to think that it caused me to gain fat. but 24 hrs is impossible to gain this much fat. so, i'm convinced that it's just bloat'ey crap & should be finished going down w/in the next few days...

GCervantez
12-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Lol... Silly hot molten lava...Don't misunderstand me ... I should have said in a caloric surplus to make things clear for you. And I would avoid dairy when dieting. The insulin response will hinder your fat loss. Yes you are in a caloric deficit and you will not store fat, but you will not lose it as easily as you would without the insulin spike from the milk. This is my point! Take what you need OP.

Yes i have read what ppl are saying here and since i want to lose the most weight i can i will lower my milk intake. I still love my cereal but im going to start eating Al Bran once every other day instead of everyday.. thnx for everybody's response :)

Murdok1741
12-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I've just gotta say WOW at most of the responses.

To the OP, milk is one of bodybuilders' best friends. It's protein, about 80% casein, 20% whey. It's one of the best bases for a protein shake. Milk, like eggs, is a complete protein source. Milk has calcium. Skim milk has 80 calories per cup. There's really no good reason to avoid milk unless lactose intolerant.

The insulin spike is almost irrelevant. If you're going to say that, and base it on the fact that there are carbs in the milk, you might as well say avoid all fruits.

Has anyone ever heard the phrase "Watch out! Skim milk will make you teh fatz!"

Neither have I. OP, drink milk, preferably skim milk.

masterjb
12-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I've just gotta say WOW at most of the responses.

To the OP, milk is one of bodybuilders' best friends. It's protein, about 80% casein, 20% whey. It's one of the best bases for a protein shake. Milk, like eggs, is a complete protein source. Milk has calcium. Skim milk has 80 calories per cup. There's really no good reason to avoid milk unless lactose intolerant.

The insulin spike is almost irrelevant. If you're going to say that, and base it on the fact that there are carbs in the milk, you might as well say avoid all fruits.

Has anyone ever heard the phrase "Watch out! Skim milk will make you teh fatz!"

Neither have I. OP, drink milk, preferably skim milk.

A lot of ppl do avoid fruits while dieting, at least ones lacking in fiber to counteract the insulin spike. Once again, why do you think keto is so successful... No carbs= minimal insulin.

Murdok1741
12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
A lot of ppl do avoid fruits while dieting, at least ones lacking in fiber to counteract the insulin spike. Once again, why do you think keto is so successful... No carbs= minimal insulin.

Keto is successful primarily because there is a caloric deficit, just like in any other diet. Keto does have the benefit of not releasing insulin, but insulin is also muscle sparing.

Secondly, I've tried keto. I felt like complete crap. Wasn't really worth it for me. I've found a much better way to lose fat effectively, retain muscle, and still keep my trusty milk with me. :)

Again, this is not to say keto doesn't work, because it does, I just personally think there are better ways to lose fat that don't require carb elimination or any extreme like that. But with regards to milk, there is nothing wrong with drinking it, regardless of whether the person is in a cutting or bulking phase. It will not halt progress.

masterjb
12-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Keto is successful primarily because there is a caloric deficit, just like in any other diet. Keto does have the benefit of not releasing insulin, but insulin is also muscle sparing.

Secondly, I've tried keto. I felt like complete crap. Wasn't really worth it for me. I've found a much better way to lose fat effectively, retain muscle, and still keep my trusty milk with me. :)

Again, this is not to say keto doesn't work, because it does, I just personally think there are better ways to lose fat that don't require carb elimination or any extreme like that. But with regards to milk, there is nothing wrong with drinking it, regardless of whether the person is in a cutting or bulking phase. It will not halt progress.

Yes, caloric deficit, but insulin the second most important factor. Yes insulin is muscle sparing, but it is also fat sparing... This is why you keep aminos high in the diet so you don't catabolize your muscle. Try it again. Once you get past the initial crash (Which some ppl just can't ever handle, but to each his own) it is smooth sailing. Yea, I'm sure your method works fine, but study after study prove keto diets are more effective than traditional low fat or low carb diets.
And you are right, nothing wrong with keeping milk in, you will get results being in a caloric deficit... t is just more effective to take it out.

Hotmoltenlava
12-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Leaving out that little nugget of information kinda changes everything you wrote in this thread....lol.

Insulin reponse from milk on a deficit is negligable at most. Most people don't like the bad breath and loose stools that come with keto. The results are just as good with a 500 cal deficit on a medium carb diet.

masterjb
12-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Leaving out that little nugget of information kinda changes everything you wrote in this thread....lol.

Insulin reponse from milk on a deficit is negligable at most. Most people don't like the bad breath and loose stools that come with keto. The results are just as good with a 500 cal deficit on a medium carb diet.

ok... I still disagree about milk during dieting. Veggies, nuts, and a fiber supp will keep u regular on keto. I personally haven't had bad breath either, but as far as effectiveness goes, keto dominates all other diets. No room for debate, it has been proven repeatedly.

gautam85
12-28-2008, 12:27 AM
i use glyco maze to get insulin and get proteins from zero carb isopure so u dont need milk as such for your proteins and calcium because it has everything u need as milk

Hotmoltenlava
12-28-2008, 11:49 AM
keto dominates all other diets. No room for debate, it has been proven repeatedly.

In the short term, I'd agree, but keto is a miserable existence and not practical in the long term. Many people lose a lot of weight on keto and then gain it all back once they go back to eating "normally". I'd always recommend lower carb for those that are carb intolerant and something similar to 40\40\20 maintenance minus 500 for those that aren't.

Fact is that skim milk is one of the cheapest sources of protein and is good for you. Can't dispute that.

Have a good one.