PDA

View Full Version : How can i burn more without losing mass?

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Hello, I browsed the forums but didnt see anything close to what I was looking for exactly.

My question is how can I keep (or better yet keep gaining mass) but add in either more routines or cardio to strip off more fat?
Im 5'5 currently 189 lbs ( down from 220)
I was down to 139 lbs in the navy a few years ago (roughly 3% body fat) but i never want to be that small little man again.

Ive been working my upper body out roughly 2x a week for an hour, and lower body 1-2x a week for an hour for quite some time now maybe 6+ months to a year I lost track.

My diet isnt going to really change that much because I dont want to cut out my random meals out to eat with the wife, id rather just spend more time in the gym :-).. I eat alot of protein a day from whole foods and whey, after workout meal is nailed down pat with whey and l-glutamine. First thing I eat in the morning is eggs or whey and I have casein before I go to bed. fish oil x3 a day, mutli vitamin all that fun stuff..

I am losing 1-2 lbs a week while gaining strength by doing this, but Im curious if thats enough or if I should be losing more? I work a desk job so i dont get the normal amount of walking most people get I imagine so adding in just walking every day could help possibly.

Ive heard that doing cardio counters muscle mass gain, but how much is just enough to add some fat loss without hindering my strength gains? Or better yet, can i just do my same workout (2x a week chest 1x a week lower) and run on all the other days and stay the same mass?

If for some reason you guys need pics of my body to judge this let me know.

208-need-175
12-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Well that's a excellent question my friend. First off, you are doing excellent with loosing 1-2 lb's a week. To answer the other question, unfortunately you cannot gain muscle and loose fat at the same time, unless your on steroids or something. My advice to you is to keep eating clean as I assume you are doing right now and loose some weight with cardio and weight lifting mixed. I think you should go about 5 pounds under your desired weight then build back up to it with only lifting and cutting out all cardio. Best of luck my friend.

dathongthief
12-23-2008, 08:45 AM
nah bro ... any cardio you do will start to eat away at your muscles ..... however , wut you can do is after you lift u can hop on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes max and walk uphill....

since you depleted all of your carb reserves from your muscles working out ...your body then turns to your stored body fat and use it as energy for those 5-10 minutes ...you will lose a lot of body fat like that without losing strength...

you can also try cutting out some carbs from your diet like rice,bread,and sugar but you will lose a tiny bit of strength but you will see an incredible amount of body fat lost ...

just play around with your body .... its fun

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the reply! Yeah the weight I lose is random. I was just reading about keto it seems scary haha.

So how is it impossible to lose fat and gain mass? Is there a real reason why?

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 08:47 AM
nah bro ... any cardio you do will start to eat away at your muscles ..... however , wut you can do is after you lift u can hop on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes max and walk uphill....

since you depleted all of your carb reserves from your muscles working out ...your body then turns to your stored body fat and use it as energy for those 5-10 minutes ...you will lose a lot of body fat like that without losing strength...

you can also try cutting out some carbs from your diet like rice,bread,and sugar but you will lose a tiny bit of strength but you will see an incredible amount of body fat lost ...

just play around with your body .... its fun

My workouts are usually limited to 50min or so because of the reading Ive done about cortisol effects, my lower body day is the only day I could possibly walk more and stay under 50 minutes. I guess I could cut out some carbs though.

208-need-175
12-23-2008, 08:50 AM
My workouts are usually limited to 50min or so because of the reading Ive done about cortisol effects, my lower body day is the only day I could possibly walk more and stay under 50 minutes. I guess I could cut out some carbs though.

Well great to see you joined BB forums recently, great to have you in the family. Ill give you your first rep.

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Well great to see you joined BB forums recently, great to have you in the family. Ill give you your first rep.

heh, thanks.

dathongthief
12-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Well that's a excellent question my friend. First off, you are doing excellent with loosing 1-2 lb's a week. To answer the other question, unfortunately you cannot gain muscle and loose fat at the same time, unless your on steroids or something. My advice to you is to keep eating clean as I assume you are doing right now and loose some weight with cardio and weight lifting mixed. I think you should go about 5 pounds under your desired weight then build back up to it with only lifting and cutting out all cardio. Best of luck my friend.

of course you can gain muscle and lose fat ...... your metabolism increases when you build muscle which means your gonna lose fat ....

YES YOU CAN build muscle and lose fat at the same time !!!

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 08:54 AM
I guess technically I have been gaining muscle + losing fat at the same time, I just meant a greater speed of fat loss is what I was trying to achieve. Such an involved task it seems hehe.

dathongthief
12-23-2008, 09:04 AM
just cut the carbs for like 2 -3 weeks....it works

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Alrighty ill give that a try. Dont I need to eat some though for my workouts or should I just get some glucose for post workout and call it done?

dathongthief
12-23-2008, 09:09 AM
ok ...what you can do is cut the carbs for 6 days a week....and have a cheat day to replace the gycogen levels in your muscles amd give you a piece of mind .... this also shocks your body so it wont get used to it....keep the carbs under liek 100 grams a day and eat carbs after workouts or in the morning....eat carbs like oatmeal and fruits....or if you really wanna lose fat fast......eat zero carbs

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah that sounds like the keto diets I was looking at. I wonder if I just cut out carbs if its gonna make me do the keto diet by accident and mess something up though .

dathongthief
12-23-2008, 09:30 AM
just dont forget the cheat day !!!! that will balance things out a bit .... and replace gycogen levels.... remember eat plenty plenty of protein so your muscle stay big ...all your trying to do is lose body fat fast ... just do this for 2-3 weeks...

kirby210
12-23-2008, 09:30 AM
New member and first post here. Have been reading the site for a bit as I get more serious about working out and this thread caught my eye and prompted me to make my first request for advice.

I am 35 and after 15 years of doing nothing, getting fat and suddenly finding myself winded chasing my 7 year old I decided to get serious and do something. Am 6'1" and started last January weighing 276 lbs. Did Atkins religiously and dropped about 25 lbs then hit a wall over the summer. Was working out sporadically at a gym/club but wasn't making any progress. Decided to do it at home, bought a bench (with leg/lat) and weights on CL and have been working out solid for two and half months and am seeing results in the mirror but find that weight loss has slowed again after dropping a quick 10 lbs when I started. Here is my routine. All comments and suggestions are appreciated. Goal is not be to on stage anywhere, just to live healthier, look better, and set a good example for my kids.

3X a week I lift for about 40 mins then jog on a treadmill at a mild incline for 2 miles (roughly 25 mins but that time is coming down as speed/endurance improve).

Lifting routine is:
Day 1: Chest and Tris: 3 separate exercises each, 3 sets for each exercise, 10 reps each set maxxing out on last set.

Day 2: Back and Bicepts (same 3:3:10/max regimen)

Day 3: Legs (including squats) and Shoulders (same 3:3:10/max regimen)

I try to do M/W/F with the alternate days off but occasionally due to work schedules have to run two days back to back.

Diet is very low carb during the week but then more lax on the weekends. No supplements other than multi-vitamin.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 09:38 AM
not sure if you need a new thread or not but what are you looking to do, just get healthier?

This may seems ignornant but being I was in the navy it makes me think of bootcamp... fat kids put through hell doing non stop physical stuff for 2 months and bam skinnier kids.

You could probably double the amount of times you lift weights or better yet do your sets differently. Do supersets for extra calorie burning.

Do your entire upper body 2x a week and lower body 2x a week. If you do stuff like shoulder presses then dont work out your triceps after, you are still fatigueing them(the tris) and might as well finish them off.

I think personally doing shoulders with your lower body is a bad idea because they will still be sore come upper body day if you worked them out hardcore.

You are a bit heavier then me but I guess in the same situation cause im 5'5 and was at 220 (pretty big for that height regardless of bone structure lol)

jessiebrown_et
12-23-2008, 09:41 AM
not sure if you need a new thread or not but what are you looking to do, just get healthier?

This may seems ignornant but being I was in the navy it makes me think of bootcamp... fat kids put through hell doing non stop physical stuff for 2 months and bam skinnier kids.

You could probably double the amount of times you lift weights or better yet do your sets differently. Do supersets for extra calorie burning.

Do your entire upper body 2x a week and lower body 2x a week. If you do stuff like shoulder presses then dont work out your triceps after, you are still fatigueing them(the tris) and might as well finish them off.

I think personally doing shoulders with your lower body is a bad idea because they will still be sore come upper body day if you worked them out hardcore.

You are a bit heavier then me but I guess in the same situation cause im 5'5 and was at 220 (pretty big for that height regardless of bone structure lol)

As far as cardio after your workout, some things to consider. Take your Post workout stuff within 30 min of stopping ( im assuming weights). I never do cardio after I work out because of this. If you wanna spend 5$ a day you can get it AT the gym, or you can just drive home and eat there hehe. Do some cardio beforehand to warm up, it doesnt effect your workout that much unless you go balls out.

Now this might not effect you as much as me or my goals because im worried mostly about muscle gain. Not sure if any of this was helpful but hopefully it was.