PDA

View Full Version : Blends Post-Workout... do they have any merit?

Luke530
03-30-2003, 05:08 PM
There has been lots of debate on having low-gi carbs post-workout... but what about blends... like pro-complex. they contain whey isolate, egg protein, etc.. with a much broader amino acid profile, and all types of fast to med-slow digesting protein types. could it be possible that they are better than just whey hydroslate or isolate alone??

MushMouth
03-30-2003, 05:44 PM
They would be better than whey if you weren't eating another meal within 45 minutes or so.

bachovas
03-30-2003, 05:51 PM
As part of my post-w, besides my oatmeal I have 1 scoop of of whey and either 3 egg whites or 1/2 scoop of egg protein. Just whey it's like drinking water to me, it digest too fast.

Cardinal
03-30-2003, 10:09 PM
I like the idea. After reading several threads at the anabolicminds nutrition forum, I am convinced that low GI postworkout is certainly a viable option. I don't see any downsides to it really. And if that is the case, I agree that a blended protein would seem the optimal choice. That or like bachovas suggested just adding a couple of complete protein sources and whey.

From a practical standpoint, it makes a lot of sense as well. No need to worry about consuming two separate meals within an hour of lifting. Meal timing can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

Luke, if you have them could you post a few links/threads on the issue. I have only seen it a couple of times and would like to read more detailed info.

So far, all I have come up with on my own was Timbo's Amino Acid Index post here that has yet to receive a response
http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3275
And a 2 year old thread dealing with using milk postworkout here
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=5895&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

Interesting topic.

Richie
03-31-2003, 06:35 AM
i recently read a great thread about this & decided to try a new approach around training time.

30 minutes pre-workout i make a mix of gatorade powder,creatine & whey (300mg of r-ALA) & blend it up in a litre of water. i drink half before the workout and then finish the rest during the workout.

about 30-45 minutes after training i have whey, egg whites, raw oats blended in water.(i tried skim milk and it didn't sit in my stomach at all.)
i also add another serve of creatine, 300 mg of r-ALA & 1000mg of vit.C here as well.

feeling trimmer & vascularity has increased. (although i've heard the r-ALA can do this.)

it's only been a few days but i must say the pump i get during my workout is fantastic & the post workout shake keeps me full for ages before i begin to get hungry again.

Richie

jonathan reeves
03-31-2003, 06:46 AM
I think either will work out. a mix or what bachovas does. however i dont think the mix will stabalize insulin therefore still needing the meal an hour later.

Gareth
03-31-2003, 07:35 AM
Isn't the point of having high GI carbs post-workout 1.) to curb cortisol as fast as possible 2.) fill up glycogen as much as possible within the 2hr post-workout window

By settling for a LOW GI meal aren't we not doing the above 2.

bachovas
03-31-2003, 10:46 AM
I still have a P/C meal about 60-80 minutes after that.

300mg r-ALA, IMHO that's WAY to much. Equivalent to like 900 of the racemic form.

Raw oats, I don't think they're very good, I use to eat them like a cereal or in my shakes, but I started to feel them just going through me. Since I started cooking them (filling them with water, optimizing the soluble fiber, etc), I feel them much more comfortable.

Luke530
03-31-2003, 01:03 PM
I will see if I can find some articles as soon as I get around to it...

here is my post-workout routine... I have been doing this for a while and it has worked great...

immediately after my workout: 50g dextrose/maltodextrin (50/50 mix) along with 50g whey (nitro-tech at the moment... I get pro-complex and nitrotech for about $30 for the big tubs)

45-55min later: 50-75g of complex carbohydrates (moderate-low gi)... oatmeal, bran cereal, brown rice (white rice as well), potatoes (regular or sweet).

then I go back to my protein/fat meals... every meal before this is a protein/carb meal (pw shake is meal 4... meals 6-7 are p/f consisting of mixed nuts, & efas)

...on leg day I usually up each meal by 10g. of carbs and 10g of protein and then go back to my diet as usual

RippedUp
03-31-2003, 01:48 PM
I only use blends for my powdered protein needs. I have been extremely happy with the results.

No more pure whey for me.

Richie
03-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bachovas
I still have a P/C meal about 60-80 minutes after that.

300mg r-ALA, IMHO that's WAY to much. Equivalent to like 900 of the racemic form.

Raw oats, I don't think they're very good, I use to eat them like a cereal or in my shakes, but I started to feel them just going through me. Since I started cooking them (filling them with water, optimizing the soluble fiber, etc), I feel them much more comfortable.

bachovas, i know 300mg seems a lot but i had to use 1500mg of the racemic before i started seeing the results everyone was talking about.
i must say here that urine smell was terrible. i'm glad i don't get this from the r-ALA.
i'm thinking of dropping the r-ALA with the pre-workout shake and have it with breakfast. then have the shake 2 or 3 hours later as mentioned above.

good point about cooking the oats. i'll give it a try as i know when you're eating this much fiber you MUST keep the water intake up.

Richie

bigfina
03-31-2003, 07:55 PM
ripped up, what does you pre and post workout nutrition look like?

RippedUp
03-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by bigfina
ripped up, what does you pre and post workout nutrition look like?

bigfina,

Pre-workout is usually;

- chicken/turkey breast (40gprotein)
- oatmeal (quantity depends on daily calories)
- 20g of pro. powder in oatmeal

Post-workout is 2 options;

Either:

- chicken/turkey breast (40g protein)
- oatmeal (quantity depends on daily calories)
- 20g of pro. powder in oatmeal

or

- 300g cottage cheese
- 25g pro. powder
- Shredded Wheat (quantity depends on goals)
(all mixed together in a bowl)

Thanks.

jonathan reeves
04-01-2003, 07:04 AM
ripped: what is in your protein powder?? looks like a good pre/post its good to see that people are getting results from things other than 100%whey.

RippedUp
04-01-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by jonathan reeves
ripped: what is in your protein powder??

It is always a blend.

The last one I've used, was mixing together in one jug;
- some Scitec Scipro (20%)
- some VP2 (20%)
- Reflex ultrafiltrated milk protein (60%) (UK brand)

The next blend I will probably be using exlusively, is Cyberflex's NitroFlex. (I've designed it)