PDA

View Full Version : bulking up on a shoe string budget

AgentGraves
12-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey !

i am new to all of this the most I have in experience in lifting was back in gym class back in 99...

So now after some missteps I want to get back on the wagon and bulk up seeing how I've accidently bulked down.

though the problem is that I am on an extremely tight budget and would like to know what sort of diet I can get on or what sorts of exercises I can get on with such a small amount of money to work with....I am looking to gain about 20 to 25 pounds of "good weight"...I am somewhere in the late 160's to early 170's

If anyone can help it would be great!

I hope to get back into a healthy weight class than what I have and am falling into...

codyl
12-09-2008, 10:52 PM
the first thing you need to do is make sure that you are eating a lot of protein to put on muscle. Just go to the grocery store and stock up on cheap sources of protein such as chicken breast, tuna, eggs, lean beef as well as a good carb source such as rice as well as vegetables and your set.

determined4000
12-09-2008, 11:01 PM
BUY IN BULK
Chicken breasts, tuna, sweet potatoes, frozen veggies (cheaper) nuts, PB, oats, eggs, rice, and milk are your cheapest/cleanest options
Browse online grocery circulars for good deals (especially on meats) or get a Sams/Costco membership (it will save you $ in the long run)

netiad
12-09-2008, 11:16 PM
eggs, potatoes, $4.99 rotisserie chicken chicken from walmart, pork chops

Buffstateballer
12-09-2008, 11:47 PM
cottage cheese

user25564
12-09-2008, 11:50 PM
If you can avoid eating out, you can save extra money to buy more grocery items for the food that you need to buy. Trying looking at other things that you can cut costs if there are any.

youngkokid
12-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Really cheap things....

Oats and Peanut Butter. Use them, they will become your best friend. Especially on a budget.

What's the old adage that is often thrown around here "$2 dollars for a pound of oats" or some ridiculous amount of money like that?!?!?!?

AgentGraves
12-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Good good.

Thanks for the info...and again because I am very new to this packing on weight thing...is there any sort of 'best' exercis I should be doing other than the standard curls, push-ups and crunches? - should I be cutting out the yogurts and various other fruit drinks in exchange for more dairy?

KappaRaiders
12-11-2008, 07:20 PM
oats
eggs
tuna
cheap chicken (look for deals)

Ted Nugent
12-11-2008, 07:27 PM
peanut butter- $5 worth will last you at least a week
tuna- $1 a can
eggs- $3.25 for 18 eggs
chicken breast- $1.25 a pound (always on sale)
beef chuck steaks- $4.00 gets you a steak roughly the size of dinner plate
pasta/rice/carbs- dirt cheap

its VERY EASY to eat on a diet man, im in college and i live on whats listed above.

KJR246
12-11-2008, 08:08 PM
As far as the lifting part, go check out the workouts forum. One sticky has a whole bunch of good ones. Beginner ones too to get you started.

RandyJH
12-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Its kind of funny if you think about it. Cutting or bulking I eat the same foods, in just differnt amounts really.

Seriously oatmeal and eggs and pb and all the foods listed above work fantastic for cutting as well.

AgentGraves
12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Good deal...

quick question though...the milk...whole? Rice, brown or white or does it really matter? rice is rice sorta thing..?

anything I should really avoid doing or anything I should really be doing

determined4000
12-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Good deal...

quick question though...the milk...whole? Rice, brown or white or does it really matter? rice is rice sorta thing..?

anything I should really avoid doing or anything I should really be doing

Despite what people may say on this sire you only should get 7% of calories from saturated fat, so I go with low fat dairy and eat more healthy fats (flax, omegas, EVOO, pB) and brown rice generally has more nutrients but not that much different.

Julian_H
12-12-2008, 11:06 PM
bananas
brown rice
frozen blueberries in big bags
frozen sweet peas
frozen corn
milk

grocery shop 2-3 times a week for fresh food. keep an eye out for sales in the meat section.