PDA

View Full Version : Mythology becomes Religion

Easygainer
03-30-2003, 09:35 AM
What is the difference between the Greek Gods and Greek mythology and Christianity in principle? Obviously one is polytheistic etc but why is one fiction and the other taken as fact?

Think about it, Greek philosophers used reason, rationalised things and were humanitarians - they invented much of the world and philosophies that we still use.

Then, Christianity - murderous popes, years of persecution, until the Renaissance (which revived ancient Greek traditions) there was a dark age in scientific discovery.

Think about it...

Frank Grimes
03-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Good points Easygainer, and I am thinking about it.

stone fox
03-30-2003, 10:04 AM
dont tell me what to think about you facist pope

Fred Phelps
03-30-2003, 10:26 AM
The Greek Gods were not real. Our God is real and if you do not accept him he will forcefully powerbomb you into Hell while you cry out for a sip of soda!!

Capricio
03-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Fred Phelps
The Greek Gods were not real. Our God is real and if you do not accept him he will forcefully powerbomb you into Hell while you cry out for a sip of soda!! .

yep greek gods were ****ing statue's .. made by people..mwuahahahaha that's so ****ing ridiculous, it's like i make tuna with salad and call it god..

Also they called themselves God and let people pray to them. If God was really a human, then he rely's of something he created : space and time...well lemme tell u something my friend, god is beyond time and space - he doesnt need stuff he created to live.

stone fox
03-30-2003, 10:34 AM
The Greek Gods were not real. Our God is real and if you do not accept him he will forcefully powerbomb you into Hell while you cry out for a sip of soda!!

are you for real?????? as john mcenroe would say "you gotta be kiddin me"

Easygainer
03-30-2003, 11:06 AM

Why is your God real?

I think you should remember the words of Helen Keller when speaking in an aggressive didactic tone "Tolerance is the highest result of education".

Secondly, those "devout" Christians who force beliefs upon others throughout history and continue to do so today are in no position to call others facists.

Finally, I'm going to write a book to at least sort this out in my own head. It is difficult to be an atheist - it isn't comforting. There is no promise of an afterlife but there is something more, a sense of awareness and I value that more.

thewrestler14
03-30-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Easygainer
Why is your God real?

I think you should remember the words of Helen Keller when speaking in an aggressive didactic tone "Tolerance is the highest result of education".

Secondly, those "devout" Christians who force beliefs upon others throughout history and continue to do so today are in no position to call others facists.

Finally, I'm going to write a book to at least sort this out in my own head. It is difficult to be an atheist - it isn't comforting. There is no promise of an afterlife but there is something more, a sense of awareness and I value that more. um bro, he was joking haha.

Capricio
03-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Why is your God real?

Finally, I'm going to write a book to at least sort this out in my own head. It is difficult to be an atheist - it isn't comforting. There is no promise of an afterlife but there is something more, a sense of awareness and I value that more.

Easygainer and all other atheist people, i encourage u to read this article (it's about the fall of atheism)

http://www.harunyahya.com/70the_fall_of_atheism_sci34.php

please, i repeat, PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE and tell me honestly what u think.

van dickson
03-30-2003, 11:18 AM
athiests suck. athiests are usually boring ass people who try to act smart when in fact, they suck in life

Capricio
03-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by van dickson
athiests suck. athiests are usually boring ass people who try to act smart when in fact, they suck in life

atheists are very wrong, they dont (not can't) think logic, for example:

- The speed of the first expansion of the universe (the force of the Big Bang explosion) was exactly the velocity that it had to be. According to scientists’ calculations, if the expansion rate had differed from its actual value by more than one part in a billion billion, then the universe would either have recollapsed before it ever reached its present size or else have splattered in every direction in a way never to unite again. To put it another way, even at the first moment of the universe’s existence there was a fine calculation of the accuracy of a billion billionth.

- The four physical forces in the universe (gravitational force, weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force, and electromagnetic force) are all at the necessary levels for an ordered universe to emerge and for life to exist. Even the tiniest variations in these forces (for example, one in 1039, or one in 1028; that is—crudely calculated—one in a billion billion billion billion), the universe would either be composed only of radiation or of no other element besides hydrogen.

- There are many other delicate adjustments that make the earth ideal for human life: the size of the sun, its distance from the earth, the unique physical and chemical properties of water, the wavelength of the sun’s rays, the way that the earth’s atmosphere contains the gases necessary to allow respiration, or the Earth’s magnetic field being ideally suited to human life.

For more of this article, read:

Easygainer
03-30-2003, 11:29 AM
The article, while well written, is largely a misinterpretation of factual data. Philosophers were also quoted, but many philosophers would disagree. This was a major failing of the article. It had no concessions. I would post Richard Dawkins, but it would be plagiarism. I am willing to accept evidence and other points of view but I have my own mind and will not go along with a crowd for the sake of it. Here, I am referring to atheism in general. I actually disagree with some of the viewpoints held by the typical atheist in that article - in fact the article presents atheism as a religion in itself when in fact it should merely be a collective of individual thinkers. Atheism isn't what I believe, it's where I've been led by reason.

Easygainer
03-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Capricio

- The speed of the first expansion of the universe (the force of the Big Bang explosion) was exactly the velocity that it had to be. According to scientists’ calculations, if the expansion rate had differed from its actual value by more than one part in a billion billion, then the universe would either have recollapsed before it ever reached its present size or else have splattered in every direction in a way never to unite again. To put it another way, even at the first moment of the universe’s existence there was a fine calculation of the accuracy of a billion billionth.

- The four physical forces in the universe (gravitational force, weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force, and electromagnetic force) are all at the necessary levels for an ordered universe to emerge and for life to exist. Even the tiniest variations in these forces (for example, one in 1039, or one in 1028; that is—crudely calculated—one in a billion billion billion billion), the universe would either be composed only of radiation or of no other element besides hydrogen.

- There are many other delicate adjustments that make the earth ideal for human life: the size of the sun, its distance from the earth, the unique physical and chemical properties of water, the wavelength of the sun’s rays, the way that the earth’s atmosphere contains the gases necessary to allow respiration, or the Earth’s magnetic field being ideally suited to human life.

Atheists don't think logically? Strange considering I studied logic and got a medal of honour for logic in my beliefs from that test posted in another forum. Firstly, humans aren't the only living things, examine the method of survival of the most simple creatures - microbial life.

Secondly, are these coincidental numbers or are they what happened because they worked? If they are coincidental, there might be (have been?) a lot of other universes that didn't succeed. The fact that you are here is a 1 in 200 million chance - did God create you? No - a lucky sperm did.

I won't get into it but the logic of that article is awful.

BPP
03-30-2003, 11:35 AM
easy's right
theres no more proof of a God as there was to Greek Gods

and everything being just right still isnt a proof he exists
simply circumstantial evidence that can easily be large-scale coincidence

btw I do believe in God

but thats why its faith

theres no proof
never will be til you die or armageddon comes

stone fox
03-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by bigpoppaproppy
easy's right
theres no more proof of a God as there was to Greek Gods

and everything being just right still isnt a proof he exists
simply circumstantial evidence that can easily be large-scale coincidence

btw I do believe in God

but thats why its faith

theres no proof
never will be til you die or armageddon comes

bump i totally agree with this viewpoint

and easygainer you go on about zealots trying to force religion on ppl when you make a thread telling ppl to think about the probability that god does not exist?
seems hypocritical to me
why can t you accept that ppl are gonna believe in god just like i accept that you dont believe in god.....im not gonna try and "bring you back into the flock"

faith (or lack thereof) is pobably the most personal thing a person has and i think it should be kept that way

peace

Bizarre
03-30-2003, 12:10 PM
Easygainer and all other atheist people, i encourage u to read this article (it's about the fall of atheism)

http://www.harunyahya.com/70the_fal...heism_sci34.php

please, i repeat, PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE and tell me honestly what u think.

you'r muslim right? try this little article out :

http://www.geocities.com/freethoughtmecca/limitedallah.html

Fall of atheism eh? :rolleyes: your article relies on the classic design argument as usual, Try those out:

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs.html

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism/arguments.html

and come To this Board http://www.iidb.org To Learn some Real Things other than this easily refuted cheap harun yahya propaganda Crap, only By looking on his comments on Evolution Is enough for knowing that He isnt worth wasting my time on...evolution is ALMOST a FACT you dumbass.

Good site for explaining basics of Evolution for ignorant kids like you and its evidence:

http://www.becominghuman.org

BigKazWSM747
03-30-2003, 08:20 PM
What is the difference between the Greek Gods and Greek mythology and Christianity in principle? Obviously one is polytheistic etc but why is one fiction and the other taken as fact?

Think about it, Greek philosophers used reason, rationalised things and were humanitarians - they invented much of the world and philosophies that we still use.

Then, Christianity - murderous popes, years of persecution, until the Renaissance (which revived ancient Greek traditions) there was a dark age in scientific discovery.

Think about it...

The Greek religion was entertaining literature but not a strong story in terms of morals. The Greeks themselves did not even take their religion very seriously and it was moreso entertainment, and everyone just agreed to go along with it. Greek philosophers did not gain these traits from their religion (assuming they followed the greek religion at all). I am unsure of your point about Christianity...if you mean the rise of christianity contributed to the fall of the Roman Empire, then you are correct. Otherwise, i'm unsure of your point.

ElShaddai4EvR
03-30-2003, 09:38 PM
you'r muslim right? try this little article out :

http://www.geocities.com/freethough...mitedallah.html

Fall of atheism eh? your article relies on the classic design argument as usual, Try those out:

http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs.html

http://www.infidels.org/library/mod.../arguments.html

and come To this Board http://www.iidb.org To Learn some Real Things other than this easily refuted cheap harun yahya propaganda Crap, only By looking on his comments on Evolution Is enough for knowing that He isnt worth wasting my time on...evolution is ALMOST a FACT you dumbass.

Good site for explaining basics of Evolution for ignorant kids like you and its evidence:

http://www.becominghuman.org

Could you squeeze in any more ad hominem attacks? Usually, those who have to rely on ad hominem's, lack substance.

Atheism isn't what I believe, it's where I've been led by reason.

This is also a common misconception, although only a minority, in my experience, of atheists will admit to it. We all have assumptions about certian things. For instance, you can't prove empiricism through empiricism, or idealism through idealism, you just have to assume some basic things at the ontological level. And that is where the God question lies, at the ontological level. To say that you have been led to atheism through a strict reasoning process would be fallacious, if but any reason that things we consider as true at a basic level, or really just assumptions.

And that is fine by me, except the kicker is that, despite what many will say, you aren't omniscient and you have to have faith that atheism is true. It might be a beginner's apologetic argument, but it really can't get any more simpler. You can't know that God doesn't exist unless you yourself were God. We can really just argue evidences here, but, per se, nobody is led anywhere through strict rationality. That's a reductionist way of thinking.

That's the best thing to come out of Greece, logic! Just remember though, if Christianity wasn't logical, it never would've flourished under a Greek-influenced and educated civilization. The early disciples convinced Greek-educated scholars and laypeople why they believed what they believed.

Good luck on the book! I may disagree with your views, but at least you are in an attempt to find truth. If you don't believe that atheism isn't a comforting philosophy (and personally I disagree with most Christians who claim it isn't), at least be comforted in the fact that yearn for truth.

BTW, I'm a devout Christian and I believe in evolution!

stone fox
03-31-2003, 03:25 AM
you d have to be a dunce not to believe in evolution

Easygainer
03-31-2003, 06:03 AM
I'm not forcing my views on anyone I asked people to think about it. The Christian church has done some horrific things down the years, many in the name of God. Surely these should be noted by the Church - the Pope's apology failed to mention anything specific.

BigKazWSM747
03-31-2003, 07:11 PM
I'm not forcing my views on anyone I asked people to think about it. The Christian church has done some horrific things down the years, many in the name of God. Surely these should be noted by the Church - the Pope's apology failed to mention anything specific.

It is not the religion that causes such events. It is the twisting of words by people that causes religious conflicts. Nearly, all religions have done horrible things in the past.

JakeSTSM
03-31-2003, 09:37 PM

All the statements you made in reference to the "Christian church" have in actuallity been the Catholic church. Which, I would argue, is a perversion of the Christian faith. Official Catholic doctrine dictates that one must follow the RC church to receive salvation. Much of Catholic dogma was invented over the years in order to obtain wealth and power.

Christianity is following the teachings of Jesus Christ.

MartialArtist
03-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Mythology: A body or collection of myths belonging to a people and addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes

Religion: Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Difference - Mythology is debunked easily with history. Religion can't due to its very nature of a supernatural being. Compare the Illiad versus the Torah.

MartialArtist
03-31-2003, 10:43 PM
And STFU n00bs

belfast-biker
04-01-2003, 03:53 AM
Think about it...

They're both broadly the same, as far as I can see, in terms of whether they're a myth or a religion or something else.

Easygainer
04-01-2003, 05:41 AM
All events in the Christian calendar are ripped off from paganism - Christmas replaced the winter solstace etc, Easter fills in pretty nicely with the pagan celebration of life (hence the ressurection story), they are all related to the pagan calendar, but what's worse is what pagan means - something ****ty anyway I'll post it later if it matters, and that's the words the Christians gave to pagans when converting them.

If all religions have the same God, or same set of Gods, as has been mentioned in other threads, why doesn't He stop the fighting among his own worshippers?

TrudyV
04-19-2004, 04:57 PM
All "scriptures" are myths. It comes down to what you choose to believe and what you dismiss.

I like all myths but I can't stand close-minded, dogmatic, fundamentalist, hypocritical, ignorant, preachy, wacko freaks!

They take the fun out of religion. :)

newlifter87
04-19-2004, 05:31 PM
look up, yea.... you see that? thats the religion and politics forum. (No hard feelings but if its there you might as well use it.)

Dorian
04-19-2004, 05:37 PM

but can you prove this statement with out using the bible? can you convince me this is the truth?

ooopps I just noticed the dates of the posts... :)

The.Giant
04-19-2004, 05:37 PM
Can we have this ****ing post moved please?

newlifter87
04-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Dorian
but can you prove this statement with out using the bible? can you convince me this is the truth?

ooopps I just noticed the dates of the posts... :) wow. haha, didnt notice that....

JonZ
04-20-2004, 08:12 AM
Ive said this a million times.....all religion is Mythology

Greek,Norse, Christian,Sumarian - its doesnt matter.

BIONIC MAN
04-20-2004, 04:54 PM

Think about it... st.patrick is cool, when apostle paul preached he entered a pagan town they worshipped everything .they even had a monument to the unknown god becuase they were afraid they would miss a god. he said this was the god that he was preaching about a god that they had worshipped and he was explaining this god to them. see they were so supertitous they worshipped everything and anything and all religions had lots of blood on there hands christianity took alot of detours but god allowed it to exist even though the devil constantly interfered with it.

supergarr
04-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Capricio

- The speed of the first expansion of the universe (the force of the Big Bang explosion) was exactly the velocity that it had to be. According to scientists? calculations, if the expansion rate had differed from its actual value by more than one part in a billion billion, then the universe would either have recollapsed before it ever reached its present size or else have splattered in every direction in a way never to unite again. To put it another way, even at the first moment of the universe?s existence there was a fine calculation of the accuracy of a billion billionth.

- The four physical forces in the universe (gravitational force, weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force, and electromagnetic force) are all at the necessary levels for an ordered universe to emerge and for life to exist. Even the tiniest variations in these forces (for example, one in 1039, or one in 1028; that is?crudely calculated?one in a billion billion billion billion), the universe would either be composed only of radiation or of no other element besides hydrogen.

- There are many other delicate adjustments that make the earth ideal for human life: the size of the sun, its distance from the earth, the unique physical and chemical properties of water, the wavelength of the sun?s rays, the way that the earth?s atmosphere contains the gases necessary to allow respiration, or the Earth?s magnetic field being ideally suited to human life.

why make all that shiat just for humans?