PDA

View Full Version : I can understand why some of you feel the race card is played out.

sword_
12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
I was listening to the Warren Balentine show on radio yesterday and he stopped his show to talk to this man and bring attention to a missing woman in the Atlanta area. This woman happened to be black.

Warren said something along the lines, "You hear all stations helping these missing white omen!" and then later he said "This is NOT about race!" What the hell? It was never about race in the first place.

I did feel sorry for the father on the phone though but he said something stupid like "The police are just treating this case as another black woman missing." Now I know there is media bias (re: Missing White Woman Syndrome) but I just felt the way that Warren interjected race into the lack of immediate help from the police force as distasteful.

dabbmw2002
12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
There is "missing white women syndrome" to and extent, however the hate crimes usually are one sided for minorites. Either way, I think most people are reasonable, it's figures in the media the distort reality to give a certain impression.

As for as the father, he is probablylashing out a bit. I have a family member who works with the families of murder victims and often times they say and do thing because of their emotions. Also, if you were to look at a report showing all the missing people in the US, I'm sure you would find tons of white women who received no media attention at alll. Again, the media has a strong hand in shaping perception.

jafomofo
12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
i dont think that it is a missing white woman syndrome as much as it is a missing cute woman syndrome. There are fatties that go MIA and get 0 press coverage because they don't strike a chord with general public due to being unattractive. I think that racial stuff plays into that same mindset.

If a black girl who looks like Halle Berry goes missing she would be more of a media sensation than a woman who looks like queen latifah.

I would also say that this cuts both ways as is evidenced by that girl that killed her baby and then went out clubbing the next night. Nancy Grace is all over that **** and she still gets on the morning news shows from time to time, I think she gets extra attention because of the demographic she attracts.

StartTheMachine
12-04-2008, 09:33 AM
That and the runaway bride thing. She was white, too. Most of the crazy ****'s gonna happen with white people, anyway. Whites are 70% of the country.