View Full Version : Serialized Ammunition, soon to come to a state near you

Stizzel
12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

Its not a ban on guns!

turtle_soup
12-03-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm looking at this going - huh?
so, serializing the projectile?.... and that means - the lead?
What?

no biggie for those that make their own ammo.. haha

drmmrRT
12-03-2008, 08:42 AM
seriously wtf is this ****. didnt watch video but im guessing its suppose to slow the crime rate?

Steak_n_Taters
12-03-2008, 08:45 AM
What?

According to the way many would have it (Brady campaign and the like), if you wanted to reload ammo you would have to find a way to serialize it and enter it into the database. None-serialized ammunition would have to be destroyed by some set date. Speculation is if the laws were passed it would be something like 2011.

Stizzel
12-03-2008, 08:48 AM
What?

I'm pretty sure that if you make non serialized ammo, that ammo will be illegal to own.

tenthirtytwo
12-03-2008, 08:48 AM
What's the problem with this?

drmmrRT
12-03-2008, 08:51 AM
this is a nice idea i guess but in tx you dont **** with rednecks guns. i dont know how it is elsewhere in the us

Stizzel
12-03-2008, 08:51 AM

Ammo costs will become rediculous, most of the smaller suppliers will go out of business, its incredibly intrusive and will do nothing to cut down on crime.

tenthirtytwo
12-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Ammo costs will become rediculous, most of the smaller suppliers will go out of business, its incredibly intrusive and will do nothing to cut down on crime.

How "rediculous" will they get?

Stizzel
12-03-2008, 08:54 AM

Can you imagine having to go to the trouble of serializing into a national database every single bullet produced? You'll be paying a dollar for a bullet that should cost a penny.

tenthirtytwo
12-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Can you imagine having to go to the trouble of serializing into a national database every single bullet produced? You'll be paying a dollar for a bullet that should cost a penny.

Or maybe 100 dollars. Or even 1000 dollars. Perhaps even.....

drmmrRT
12-03-2008, 08:56 AM

everywhere that has strict gun laws(not the US kind of strict) has a lower crime rate than ours. i own two shotguns personally and cant think of the last time i actually fired on of them.

turtle_soup
12-03-2008, 08:58 AM
this is a nice idea i guess but in tx you dont **** with rednecks guns. i dont know how it is elsewhere in the us

I'm not from Texas.. but from another highly armed population that loves their guns.

Do you know how many rounds you can go through? TONS and tons.. and how are they going to track it when you go to a gun show to buy a few boxexs of it.

This is like putting a serial number on the bottom of a beer bottle.

nonAtlas
12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm pretty sure that if you make non serialized ammo, that ammo will be illegal to own.

Let them try to collect it. :)

nonAtlas
12-03-2008, 09:02 AM

The same as making ink, paper, printing presses, digital media, web space or any other means of reproducing and publishing ideas would be a "problem" to the First Amendment. If you ban or make prohibitive the exercise of any Constitutional right, you violate the Constitution. Thus such a law would be strictly illegal.

:)

Brently
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Can't wait until someone breaks into my place, steals my coded ammo, and then kills someone.

drmmrRT
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm not from Texas.. but from another highly armed population that loves their guns.

Do you know how many rounds you can go through? TONS and tons.. and how are they going to track it when you go to a gun show to buy a few boxexs of it.

This is like putting a serial number on the bottom of a beer bottle.

lol at the beer bottle comparison. its true tho. im not in favor of guns just because i think we have to many shootings and ppl here go for the gun first without thinkin. yes, the 2nd amendment gives you the right. also when it was written we had just gotten out of a massive war with a power hungry tyrant

Steak_n_Taters
12-03-2008, 09:10 AM
lol at the beer bottle comparison. its true tho. im not in favor of guns just because i think we have to many shootings and ppl here go for the gun first without thinkin. yes, the 2nd amendment gives you the right. also when it was written we had just gotten out of a massive war with a power hungry tyrant

What evidence do you have that banning guns in America reduces shootings or overall crime in general?

ElMariachi
12-03-2008, 09:17 AM
everywhere that has strict gun laws (not the US kind of strict) has a lower crime rate than ours. i own two shotguns personally and cant think of the last time i actually fired on of them.

Its so funny when people peddle ridiculously and blatantly false bull****. You begin to wonder if they believe their own stupidity.

F%6k the facts, if it sounds good, IT must be true. Forget the soaring British and Australian crime rates. Or the fact that the most gun-stringest locales in the US are usually the most crime-ridden.

NuggzTheNinja
12-03-2008, 09:36 AM

It raises the cost of ammunition significantly, and the price is already at an all-time high. Basically it makes shooting unaffordable. It's a back door ban on guns.

You aren't just seralizing the ammo, you also have to package ammo according to serial #. In other words, this bill totally screws up the way that ammunition manufacturers typically manufacture and package ammunition. The end result is significantly more expensive ammunition, we're talking over double the price.

What if manufacturers mess up? First time it's $1,000, second time $5,000, and every time after that it's $10,000. Ammunition manufacturers make millions of rounds a day. They would also need to hire extensive quality control staff to make sure that the bullets were all going in the right boxes. All several million of them. My guess is that the first day, nearly every ammunition manufacturer is going to be charged several hundred thousand dollars for violating the act.

Mtguy8787
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Its so funny when people peddle ridiculously and blatantly false bull****. You begin to wonder if they believe their own stupidity.

F%6k the facts, if it sounds good, IT must be true. Forget the soaring British and Australian crime rates. Or the fact that the most gun-stringest locales in the US are usually the most crime-ridden.

Remember, high violent crime rates are fine, just as long as high percentage of them arent done with legally purchased guns.

nonAtlas
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
everywhere that has strict gun laws(not the US kind of strict) has a lower crime rate than ours.

First of all that is not true. Second you can't turn "crime rate" into "number of gun crimes". The two just don't equate. But in England and Australia, immediately after those countries seized all the guns that law-abiding folks foolishly registered per new government demands, the rates of crime went up. That includes crimes committed by criminals carrying guns, because what resistance remained against them? None among those now-weak ordinary folks.

Legislating against gun freedom inevitably and without variation causes a surge in crime, as the numbers from such ****ty places as NYC, DC, ChitTown and Detroit keep affirming.

:rolleyes:

ryan250
12-03-2008, 09:40 AM
God damnit this pisses me off. Serial numbers on bullets, are you kidding me??? Are there people that actually buy into this? Also, where was the meetings held that passed this legislation? I was unaware.

Stizzel
12-03-2008, 09:42 AM
First of all that is not true. Second you can't turn "crime rate" into "number of gun crimes". The two just don't equate. But in England and Australia, immediately after those countries seized all the guns that law-abiding folks foolishly registered per new government demands, the rates of crime went up. That includes crimes committed by criminals carrying guns, because what resistance remained against them? None among those now-weak ordinary folks.

Legislating against gun freedom inevitably and without variation causes a surge in crime, as the numbers from such ****ty places as NYC, DC, ChitTown and Detroit keep affirming.

One of my friends' neighbors put a 'Gun free zone' sign in their front lawn. Guess what happened shortly afterwards?

Steak_n_Taters
12-03-2008, 09:43 AM
God damnit this pisses me off.

Buy your ammo now, with cash.

nonAtlas
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
One of my friends' neighbors put a 'Gun free zone' sign in their front lawn. Guess what happened shortly afterwards?

She fell down the basement stairs on her way to fetch a jar of canned peaches? :(

Steak_n_Taters
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM

You can't be serious

Mtguy8787
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
This won't create a huge black market for non-serialized ammo......

Stizzel
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
You can't be serious

Rabidly anti gun people do occasionally put their money where their mouth is.

ryan250
12-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm emailing them right now at ACT@ammunitionaccountability.com

Let them have a piece of my mind.

2.0Tsunami
12-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Can't wait until someone breaks into my place, steals my coded ammo, and then kills someone.

yep...also, bullets become more valuable...these serialized bullets could be resold to anonymous buyers at a premium

Steak_n_Taters
12-03-2008, 09:48 AM
yep...also, bullets become more valuable...these serialized bullets could be resold to anonymous buyers at a premium

Either that or there will be a black market created for non-serialized ammo. I can see the home-reloading setup becoming analogous to the home-grown pot setup.

J-Bol
12-03-2008, 09:49 AM

It is neither feasible nor practical.

RedSoxfan1978
12-03-2008, 09:49 AM

THIS...

You would be paying $200 for a box of ammo. It will do NOTHING about crime. If you want to stop crime, keep REPEAT felons LOCKED UP. Simple as that. Its back door disarmament. Plain and simple. Lets face it, they KNOW they wont get the guns from people in America. It wont ever happen. So they take away the ammo and you have a very expensive albeit a poor club. ;)

Ask yourself why some are so intent on disarming the decent people of any good country. Here is a hint everyone... History has MANY lessons as to why... none of them good for the little guy.

turtle_soup
12-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Either that or there will be a black market created for non-serialized ammo. I can see the home-reloading setup becoming analogous to the home-grown pot setup.

Yep.. and its easy and quick to reload. :)

J-Bol
12-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Yep.. and its easy and quick to reload. :)

They would have restrictions on reloading, too. Probably something along the lines of having to register your equipment and the like.

darkblood
12-03-2008, 10:00 AM
THIS...

So they take away the ammo and you have a very expensive albeit a poor club. ;)

Who needs a club, when you have a sword. Seriously, we have a plethora of battle-ready swords as we're performers and patrons of renaissance faires.

ryan250
12-03-2008, 10:01 AM
"Each person selling encoded ammunition at retail in this State shall collect from retail customers a fee of $0.05 for each round that is sold and delivered in this State.

Legislators are also calling for the elimination of ammunition hand-loaders and re-loaders."

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=178&issue=005

RedSoxfan1978
12-03-2008, 12:50 PM
"Each person selling encoded ammunition at retail in this State shall collect from retail customers a fee of $0.05 for each round that is sold and delivered in this State.

Legislators are also calling for the elimination of ammunition hand-loaders and re-loaders."

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=178&issue=005

Yeah but once you LET them level a tax on something there is NOTHING to stop them from increasing that tax whenever they see fit. They will CLAIM .5cents per round, but I can assure you that figure will climb very quickly.

Bottom line is that they KNOW this and other gun controls does NOTHING to combat crime. If crime control is their issue then they need to keep scumbags locked up where they belong. Simple as that. Dont think for a minute that gun control is about crime, "the children", "common sense" or any other nonsense they want to feed you. Gun control is about CONTROL.

ViceStan
12-03-2008, 12:59 PM

This man knows his ****.

ViceStan
12-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Besides, in reality people who commit crime don't usually go out and buy the guns legally, therefore what will stop them from buying illegal ammunition from the same sources as their weapons?. Basically people will manufacture the ammunition illegally so it's untraceable.

StartTheMachine
12-03-2008, 01:04 PM
This was diculous before, but now it is again.

Skettch
12-03-2008, 01:05 PM
hmm I am actually against this as I doubt it will do anything.

BumP_Therapy
12-03-2008, 01:06 PM
good luck to the government with that idea! LMFAO.................that will be a hoot to watch...........they will start a second american revolution

ViceStan
12-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Yeah but once you LET them level a tax on something there is NOTHING to stop them from increasing that tax whenever they see fit. They will CLAIM .5cents per round, but I can assure you that figure will climb very quickly.

Bottom line is that they KNOW this and other gun controls does NOTHING to combat crime. If crime control is their issue then they need to keep scumbags locked up where they belong. Simple as that. Dont think for a minute that gun control is about crime, "the children", "common sense" or any other nonsense they want to feed you. Gun control is about CONTROL.

It's not really about control, its about balance, historically its extremely hard to control a population against their will, it's easier to implement a balancing system that will neutralize the problem area, in this case they need to relax gun rules and allow average people to own and use weapons in self defense or civil defense, there is a reason why we don't have John Wayne's running around Texas.

Morbid_Mind
12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
It is neither feasible nor practical.

Why should that matter? It's never stopped the gun grabber demagogues before and it won't this time.

They're finally getting what they always wanted, banning guns without having to ban guns. They'll be so expensive to own nobody will.

RedSoxfan1978
12-03-2008, 01:17 PM
It's not really about control, its about balance, historically its extremely hard to control a population against their will, it's easier to implement a balancing system that will neutralize the problem area, in this case they need to relax gun rules and allow average people to own and use weapons in self defense or civil defense, there is a reason why we don't have John Wayne's running around Texas.

I can see your point here. Your are partially right too. BUT they, some of them anyway, want to disarm the normal man, the ultimate reason IS control. It IS hard to control against their will, BUT if they have no means of defense or resisting what then? How many of the Jewish people would have got onto trains in Germany if they had a means of defending themselves? The Warsaw Ghetto uprising vividly illustrates what an armed people can do. The Nazi's had to literally burn the place down to stop it.

To ME Castro wouldnt still be in charge of Cuba if they had as many guns as we do. He took all the guns after taking power. Makes you wonder about things...

designer12
12-03-2008, 05:29 PM
So, um... How many digits are in these serial numbers? Dozens? Are they imprinted on the bullet or the cartridge case? How large is the type? If they are on the bullet, how are they going to survive the impact? What if they corrode? How is this different from ballistic forensics testing? What if someone steels your ammunition and uses it to kill someone?

****ing gheyest thing I've ever heard. The libs have been throwing a **** fit for 8 years over erosion of the constitution, and once they get their boy in office then they are all for it.

Astaldoath
12-03-2008, 05:51 PM

Im thinking this is their plan. They wont ban the guns but they will make ammo to expensive to afford. They know we wont let them take our guns

ironkite89
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
all people have to do is trade bullets enough so the system fails. Easy. maybe the whole point is to increase the costs of ammo

nutsy54
12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
seriously wtf is this ****. didnt watch video but im guessing its suppose to slow the crime rate?Nope. It's sole purpose is a back-door ban on guns. Standard gun-hater tactic. Ignore the Constitution, the laws, the courts, and the desires of the People. Do anything and everything possible to accomplish the Agenda.

In this case - impose a requirement that's economically impossible to meet. Drive ammo companies out of business, thereby rendering (legal) guns, using (legally purchased) ammunition, useless.