PDA

View Full Version : Uncooked Oatmeal digestion question

n0.0b
12-01-2008, 07:39 PM
hi, kinda new to nutrition and training, ive been making protein shakes since a couple months, and i started adding oat meal, figured would help me to gain weight.

i was wondering if i digest and absorb the nutriments at 100 % even if i dont cook it (says 15 minutes in boiling water).

thanks

yea, first post o.o

dinger8
12-01-2008, 08:02 PM
use to do that all the time, i cant say for 100% certanty but i think your body can digest just about anything you put in it, except some fiber, but also you wont absorb 100% off any nutrients you eat

slowdubbin68
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
i dont cook my oatmeal, i like it better un cooked, i doubt you need to cook it to get the full nutritional value. hopefully someone chimes in on this ...

Sim882
12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Of course u don't need to cook it.

Do you cook wheat cereals?

tonymar
12-02-2008, 12:02 AM
it depends on what kind of oats you're talking about. are you talking about something like the standard quaker oats type? if so it's fine. if you're talking about the steel cut kind like porridge then you have to either grind them in a coffee grinder into a fine powder or they'll need to be cooked. you wouldn't want to eat those raw right out of the can. that would be like eating small rocks.