PDA

View Full Version : Recession began in Dec 2007: NBER

skinny buckeye
12-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Its official.

http://www.nber.org/cycles/dec2008.html

5x10
12-01-2008, 09:26 AM
doesnt nutsy owe u something?(i might be wrong)

FranchiseKid
12-01-2008, 09:48 AM
***FK thinks back to last year....***

There is no way we are in a recession no way no how the GDP number is still positive, look at Q2 and look at this and look at that blah blah blah.....

skinny buckeye
12-01-2008, 09:51 AM
doesnt nutsy owe u something?(i might be wrong)

yes a tub of musclemilk!

although I'm willing to accept an equivalent donation to Ron Paul as payment : )

Nutsy is one stubborn optimist : )

BumP_Therapy
12-01-2008, 09:52 AM
we ARE in a recession......those numbers dont acoount for devaluation of the dollar or inflation.............and we WILL stay in a recession.......possibly a depression depending on how obama handles thsi situation when he is in office

hublife
12-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Well no **** we've been in a recession since last year. The government is f*cking retarded.

Mtguy8787
12-01-2008, 10:07 AM
we ARE in a recession......those numbers dont acoount for devaluation of the dollar or inflation.............and we WILL stay in a recession.......possibly a depression depending on how obama handles thsi situation when he is in office

There's no *depending on what the government does*. The current situation and underlying factors are worse than those during the similar phase of the great depression. Way more debt, way more inflation, much bigger bubbles, and a government that is just as stupid, and a people that is still stupid, but not as stupid.

The only thing that could prevent a huge depression is if a significant percentage of the population (enough to draw the majority of people in their direction) woke up and said, hey theres a big problem and we need to dump the fed dollar and start looking to a sound economy.

cjh156
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
You can't be in an official recession until you have two concurrent quarters with negative growth numbers. We won't have our second until the end of this quarter.

FranchiseKid
12-01-2008, 10:31 AM
It's funny that there is nothing stronger than the USD right now.... my Swiss Franc's are collapsing in front of my eyes.

5x10
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
It's funny that there is nothing stronger than the USD right now.... my Swiss Franc's are collapsing in front of my eyes.

gold is down $40 too
i dont get it

FranchiseKid
12-01-2008, 10:35 AM
The USD is king. Look at the fixed income markets, look at the yield curve!! What a mess!!!

Gold was up 14% last month and will be very volatile as funds move in and out of the metal, we also have year end redemptions coming up and tax lot selling... December should be crazy...

Get ready for a dismal jobs number on Friday, and I mean bad.

ObedEdom
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Get ready for a dismal jobs number on Friday, and I mean bad.

triple facepalm

skinny buckeye
12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
You can't be in an official recession until you have two concurrent quarters with negative growth numbers. We won't have our second until the end of this quarter.

common misconception. but not true.

if you scroll to the lower part of the link i pasted you see a discussion of that misconception by the NBER. the NBEr is the official arbiter of recession dating. its peak -to- trough dating.

Morbid_Mind
12-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Well no **** we've been in a recession since last year. The government is f*cking retarded.

http://site.despair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/governmentdemotivator.jpg

nutsy54
12-01-2008, 04:37 PM
yes a tub of musclemilk!

although I'm willing to accept an equivalent donation to Ron Paul as payment : )

Nutsy is one stubborn optimist : )Rather than bitch and moan that we still haven't hit the official definition of "Recession" (even Lou Dobbs on CNN just admitted that, literally as I type this), let me know your choice.

Tub 'o musclemilk (does bb.com do "gift certificates"?), or donation to Ron (in your name?)

FranchiseKid
12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Here we go with definitions again.....

Dirk Diggler
12-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Rather than bitch and moan that we still haven't hit the official definition of "Recession" (even Lou Dobbs on CNN just admitted that, literally as I type this), let me know your choice.

Tub 'o musclemilk (does bb.com do "gift certificates"?), or donation to Ron (in your name?)

A guy from the National Bureau of Economic Research was on CNBC explaining how we are in a recession.

"A recession is a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in production, employment, real income, and other indicators," the members said in a statement. "A recession begins when the economy reaches a peak of activity and ends when the economy reaches its trough."

Do they not have a firm grasp of the definition of a recession?

Chicago911
12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
A guy from the National Bureau of Economic Research was on CNBC explaining how we are in a recession.

"A recession is a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in production, employment, real income, and other indicators," the members said in a statement. "A recession begins when the economy reaches a peak of activity and ends when the economy reaches its trough."

Do they not have a firm grasp of the definition of a recession?

Dude, just get off my nutsy.

gotDOMS
12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Dude, just get off my nutsy.

lol
http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/img/user_images/growable/2008/11/23/39348/profilepic/2869022.jpg (http://www.vbulletin.com)