PDA

View Full Version : Atheists and Christmas

iliketodoit
11-27-2008, 06:43 AM
Well?

I celebrate it, there's no winter solstice holiday for me :(

Dragger
11-27-2008, 06:49 AM
What does a big fat man in a red suit breaking into your house putting presents under a tarted-up tree in the living room have to do with Christianity anyways?

Seriously, anyone?

drew101
11-27-2008, 07:10 AM
You mean X-mas?

Can't be Christmas with the X.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 08:04 AM
once again, atheists trying to be like us Christians.

Don't worry , I understand. =)

Black_Spit
11-27-2008, 08:11 AM

No, you don't understand... you're too young to.

But, yes, I'm an atheist who enjoys christmas. I like it when people say Merry Christmas. I buy presents for my kids, family and friends.

I am a lifelong atheist (literally never believed in any of it) and I always liked christmas.

Christmas is an old pagan tradition anyway lol, supposedly taken by the christians.

Tonking
11-27-2008, 08:13 AM
seems to me that cristmas has become more of a economy boosting season than a christian holiday and hey.. atheists want presents too..

slammedsl1
11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
seems to me that cristmas has become more of a economy boosting season than a christian holiday and hey.. atheists want presents too..

Ehh I don't. Holidays are not about buying material goods.

MantisShrimp
11-27-2008, 08:32 AM

strong ********
clean your room or you're grounded

Ben76
11-27-2008, 09:18 AM
our family just gives to charity instead of buying ****.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 09:19 AM
wow you're original......

anyways happy day Jesus Christ was born.... hahaha

bmy-
11-27-2008, 09:22 AM

spoon pic?

darkblood
11-27-2008, 09:24 AM

So then why isn't Christmas in the summer, cause that's actually when he was born.

Linebacker37
11-27-2008, 09:32 AM
What does a big fat man in a red suit breaking into your house putting presents under a tarted-up tree in the living room have to do with Christianity anyways?

Seriously, anyone?

wow your delusional

Devian
11-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Well?

I celebrate it, there's no winter solstice holiday for me :(

Become a Satanist ;)

JAGERBOY
11-27-2008, 09:35 AM
I don't celebrate it. If my friends/family want to hang out with me on that day, then Im fine with it. Thats about all I see it for, a set time of the year that families get together. With that said, the only family I have is my mom, so Christmas to me is even that less important because I see her all the time.

Fidelis
11-27-2008, 09:38 AM
wow your delusional
Uhhh no it sounded pretty spot-on to me.

Linebacker37
11-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Uhhh no it sounded pretty spot-on to me.

christmas isnt about presents. but society made it that way. it's to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. they made it during the winter because before they didn't have a winter holiday, and that's when the witches had all their holidays.

-click_here-
11-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Christians dont care about Jesus, if they did they would do what he said and live simply, without possessions, not spend thousands on useless junk while gorging on food and oinking like pigs.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 09:49 AM
So then why isn't Christmas in the summer, cause that's actually when he was born.

Why don't you believe in God, because their really is one.

My point:
That statement is argued and you supplied no evidence or truth to support your statement.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Christians dont care about Jesus, if they did they would do what he said and live simply, without possessions, not spend thousands on useless junk while gorging on food and oinking like pigs.

You're looking at the majority here

Linebacker37
11-27-2008, 09:51 AM

wow bet you feel smart

-click_here-
11-27-2008, 09:51 AM

My point:
That statement is argued and you supplied no evidence or truth to support your statement.

You are a racist.

AKR
11-27-2008, 09:54 AM

Seriously, anyone?

Way to burn the flame of ignorance big and bright, folks.

No historians think JC was born on December 25; they just chose that day because they wanted to take over a pagan holiday. Christmas is no more about Jesus than it is about Santa. Everyone's added their own meaning to it, and Christians are being incredibly ignorant if they think they were the first to put their flag on this holiday.

Dragger
11-27-2008, 10:12 AM

I didn't make a statement, it was a question.

I'm no christian so I wouldn't know in the 1st place, christians are the ones who go on about celebrating his b-day, not on his b-day, but on Dec 25 by having an obese man in a red suit breaking into your house putting presents under a tarted-up tree in the living room, not me.

Ultimately, I really don't give a shyt either way.

PhxKarma
11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Christmas is entierley about presents now, most poeple don't even know the religous significance behind it, even if that religious significance makes no sense., considering christ was borin in the summer, not in the winter.

Let's celebrate the birth of christ....six months late!

AKR
11-27-2008, 10:17 AM
I didn't make a statement, it was a question.

I'm no christian so I wouldn't know in the 1st place, christians are the ones who go on about celebrating his b-day, not on his b-day, but on Dec 25 by having an obese man in a red suit breaking into your house putting presents under a tarted-up tree in the living room, not me.

Ultimately, I really don't give a shyt either way.

My bad, I thought you were being one of those "Santa stole Jeebus' birthday!" folks.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 10:32 AM

No historians think JC was born on December 25; they just chose that day because they wanted to take over a pagan holiday. Christmas is no more about Jesus than it is about Santa. Everyone's added their own meaning to it, and Christians are being incredibly ignorant if they think they were the first to put their flag on this holiday.

thats why it's called CHRISTmas.... , but nvm i forgot that you were alive back then so of course whatever you say is right all the time.

AKR
11-27-2008, 10:37 AM
thats why it's called CHRISTmas.... , but nvm i forgot that you were alive back then so of course whatever you say is right all the time.

Tell me, cupcake, when did they start celebrating Christmas and who declared the holiday?

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Tell me, cupcake, when did they start celebrating Christmas and who declared the holiday?

better yet why dont you tell me?

incapable
11-27-2008, 10:44 AM

who the **** is trying to be like a christian you stubby ****ing slut

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 10:46 AM
wow your big and bad now.

incapable
11-27-2008, 10:48 AM
wow your big and bad now.

yeah just like you, get the **** off the internet you make no sense you 16 year old whore

AKR
11-27-2008, 10:50 AM
better yet why dont you tell me?

My point:

You were the one that came in and claimed the holiday for Christians, and then stated people must show evidence. Shouldn't you know it's history and follow the advice you just gave?

I mean, it's your holiday after all. Why don't you educate me.

Rune
11-27-2008, 10:52 AM

The earliest reference to the celebration of the nativity on December 25 is found in the Chronography of 354, an illuminated manuscript compiled in Rome in 354.[5][29] In the East, early Christians celebrated the birth of Christ as part of Epiphany (January 6), although this festival focused on the baptism of Jesus.[30]

Christmas was promoted in the Christian East as part of the revival of Catholicism following the death of the pro-Arian Emperor Valens at the Battle of Adrianople in 378. The feast was introduced to Constantinople in 379, and to Antioch in about 380. The feast disappeared after Gregory of Nazianzus resigned as bishop in 381, although it was reintroduced by John Chrysostom in about 400.[5]

The Twelve Days of Christmas end on January 5. December 26 is St. Stephen's Day and January 6 is Feast of Epiphany This period encompasses the major feasts surrounding the birth of Christ. In the Latin Rite, one week after Christmas Day, January 1, has traditionally been the celebration the Feast of the Naming and Circumcision of Christ, but since Vatican II, this feast has been celebrated as the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God.

Your just following a baseless tradition put forth by the Catholic Church. Congrats!

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 10:53 AM
yeah just like you, get the **** off the internet you make no sense you 16 year old whore

I don't come here cussing and dissing any one because I know I can't get touched. so how is it just like me?
And why would you call me whore?
Do you know me? so yea god bless you.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 10:56 AM
You were the one that came in and claimed the holiday for Christians, and then stated people must show evidence. Shouldn't you know it's history and follow the advice you just gave?

I mean, it's your holiday after all. Why don't you educate me.

It's not like it's hard to just type it in google. and find a good explanation. but yea I already know so why try to convince in general anything to you when you come up with some excuse for everything. WIPE THE DUST OFF MY FEET ... I've tried too much. It's your choice.
I'm here trying to help, you're there attacking.
GOD bless you too.

Epictetus IV
11-27-2008, 10:57 AM

My point:

LMFAO!!!!

My point:

Your statement is argued and you supplied no evidence or truth to support your belief in God.

incapable
11-27-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't come here cussing and dissing any one because I know I can't get touched. so how is it just like me?
drink bleach you smelly rotten ****

AKR
11-27-2008, 11:01 AM
It's not like it's hard to just type it in google. and find a good explanation. but yea I already know so why try to convince in general anything to you when you come up with some excuse for everything. WIPE THE DUST OFF MY FEET ... I've tried too much. It's your choice.
I'm here trying to help, you're there attacking.
GOD bless you too.

I'm attacking? How exactly have I attacked you? When someone disagrees with you, that's an attack? Then you're attacking me just as much as I'm attacking you. Stop crying like a little baby about being attacked. You made a statement, told others to back up their statements, and then said that you don't have to back up your own statements. Hypocrite much? You're here to help? Honey, you actually have to know things in order to help people.

Dude, she might not be the sharpest pencil in the drawer, but you're just being a total dick while contributing nothing. Go away.

Ben76
11-27-2008, 11:03 AM

STFU and get in the ****ing kitchen. I want to slap your parents for not teaching you that being a whore kitchen wife is the only logical thing for you to do.

AKR
11-27-2008, 11:12 AM
STFU and get in the ****ing kitchen. I want to slap your parents for not teaching you that being a whore kitchen wife is the only logical thing for you to do.

F*ck off. Just because she's ignorant and a hypocrite does not give you right to be a sexist a-hole.

Reported for douchery, along with the other guy.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm attacking? How exactly have I attacked you? When someone disagrees with you, that's an attack? Then you're attacking me just as much as I'm attacking you. Stop crying like a little baby about being attacked. You made a statement, told others to back up their statements, and then said that you don't have to back up your own statements. Hypocrite much? You're here to help? Honey, you actually have to know things in order to help people.

Dude, she might not be the sharpest pencil in the drawer, but you're just being a total dick while contributing nothing. Go away.

Like I havn't written like 20 others posts supporting my belief and what will make these guys differant?.... Im not just reffering to this thread, but the others i've posted in and if im not mistaken i've been cursed at and whatever.. and supported good facts but if God were to speak to this world himself, everybody will just start saying it was some guy in an airplane with a huge microphone. As to the other guy, that said whatever about proving point.... look at my posts if you want backup, it gets to a point that im not going to copy and paste an explanation and put it in every single thread.

stateless
11-27-2008, 11:15 AM
All people can celebrate whatever they want, whenever they want , for whatever reason they choose.

so stop arguing people.

/thread

injured44
11-27-2008, 11:15 AM
christmas for me is getting a new PC, new xbox360 games and eating some great food

LOL at religion

Photostic
11-27-2008, 11:22 AM

wish I could rep you again. lol

smokeater
11-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Christmas is like anything else in life, it is what you make of it. Some choose to delebrate the birth of Christ, others choose to make it a celebration of family, others commercialize it with expensive gifts, and others see it as just another day on the calendar. Obviously there would be no Christmas if it wasn't for the influence of the Christian faith on the world. I've never seen anything to lead me to believe the pre-existing pagan holiday would have had such influence or anything else would have.

Christmas used to be a pagan holiday, this is true. The Christian slaves used their only day off to celebrate the birth of their Lord and savior. Since the day was already a pagan holiday, does that mean nothing else can be celebrated on this day? What about other significant days in history (9/11, Pearl Harbor, Nov 11th, etc)? Would anybody here be prepared to say to their child, who had a b-day on Sept 11th, "sorry but we are not celebrating your birthday today because we are remembering a horrible even that offurred a few years ago that traumatized us". Of course not! But some people think this should be done with Christmas. It just seems very selective to me. Are there some similarities between modern Christmas and pagan holidays? Sure. I've never once deliberately celebrated anything pagan on December 25th, I celebrate the birth of Christ. Knowing full well that Christ's actual birthdayis probably sometime in April. Why do we celebrate Christmas in December, tradition. Why do all of us celebrate our birthdays on the actual anniversary of our birth, tradition. People in this world celebrate tradition just as much as they celebrate what those traditions actually stand for. I don't appreciate it when people tell me that I'm celebrating a pagan holiday, and tell me what I believe... especially since they probably wouldn't be equally appreciative if I offered my opinion about their lives in such a manner.

Early Christians chose to make Christmas important to them and to their faith. In a sense they redeemed that day for their own religion. If they could do it then there is nothing to suggest an athiest, agnostic, hindu, muslim, etc couldn't do it for themselves and make Dec 25th about something important to them.

I have always wondered about something. We always hear about "separation between church and state". Typically when faith begins to invade government. We don't hear much of that when it comes to religious holidays. When an athiest accepts the 24/25th off does that not indicate that they do not object to the separation of church and state in this matter? They wouldn't have that day off if it wasn't for the influence of religion. Isn't this an example of willingly joining church and state? Just an idea that I thought about.

AKR
11-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Like I havn't written like 20 others posts supporting my belief and what will make these guys differant?.... Im not just reffering to this thread, but the others i've posted in and if im not mistaken i've been cursed at and whatever.. and supported good facts but if God were to speak to this world himself, everybody will just start saying it was some guy in an airplane with a huge microphone. As to the other guy, that said whatever about proving point.... look at my posts if you want backup, it gets to a point that im not going to copy and paste an explanation and put it in every single thread.

I've never seen you support anything with evidence, and I highly doubt if I look back through your history, you'll have any posts showing your evidence for the roots of Xmas, or anything else. In fact, a quick look back through your entire post history shows that you only post Bible verses and have never talked about the origins of Xmas, so maybe you should stop lying and admit that you just don't know what the f*ck you're talking about and are a giant hypocrite.

And why is it that you can coast on your other supposed evidence-filled posts (which don't actually exist), but anyone who is conversing with you must support their case in every thread? Hmmmm?

You've been busted.

Photostic
11-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Christians, for the most part, do believe that Jesus is the reason for the season. But it's a federal Holiday. That means people get time off to do whatever they want. It's everyone's holiday, and everyone, including us atheists, can hang out with family, buy a pine tree, and give presents because we get time off.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I've never seen you support anything with evidence, and I highly doubt if I look back through your history, you'll have any posts showing your evidence for the roots of Xmas, or anything else. In fact, a quick look back through your entire post history shows that you only post Bible verses and have never talked about the origins of Xmas, so maybe you should stop lying and admit that you just don't know what the f*ck you're talking about and are a giant hypocrite.

And why is it that you can coast on your other supposed evidence-filled posts (which don't actually exist), but anyone who is conversing with you must support their case in every thread? Hmmmm?

You've been busted.

I never directly said i was speaking of christmas here... i was referring to my belief in God. and yes i in fact do have evidence filled posts, just not looking hard enough...... what if i say that I actually looked at that guys posts and found no such thing of him supporting that statement?? hmmm?

Rune
11-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I never directly said i was speaking of christmas here... i was referring to my belief in God. and yes i in fact do have evidence filled posts, just not looking hard enough...... what if i say that I actually looked at that guys posts and found no such thing of him supporting that statement?? hmmm?

Every post you make just makes you look dumber, suck up your ego, admit you were wrong and drop it ffs.

AKR
11-27-2008, 11:37 AM

wut? I think I'll stop talking to you now. This is beyond retarded. Girls aren't usually the ones with an ego problem, but clearly you have one.

incapable
11-27-2008, 11:40 AM

this kid has been trolling in every thread, she might be either really that dumb or not even really christian and just an atheist to make chrsitians look dumb. I have another user name and im always posting in here, so yeah I've read a lot of the dumb **** she types

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 11:42 AM
wrong about what?
ok ill admit this, i do celebrate christmas just for the thought about presents and family. But when it comes down to it, it IS CHRISTmas. crap...
I had just said a simple statement and it elapses to this.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 11:44 AM
this kid has been trolling in every thread, she might be either really that dumb or not even really christian and just an atheist to make chrsitians look dumb. I have another user name and im always posting in here, so yeah I've read a lot of the dumb **** she types

If quoting bible verses and being the sole christian in these forums is making christians look bad. then sorry.

Rune
11-27-2008, 11:46 AM
wrong about what?
ok ill admit this, i do celebrate christmas just for the thought about presents and family. But when it comes down to it, it IS CHRISTmas. crap...
I had just said a simple statement and it elapses to this.

Your first post.

You had implied that the December holiday somehow only belonged to Christians when it is clearly stolen from earlier traditions, and adopted to your beliefs (i.e lying about when Christ was born to fit the holiday)

injured44
11-27-2008, 11:52 AM
If quoting bible verses and being the sole christian in these forums is making christians look bad. then sorry.

get back in the kitchen bit<h if you been reading the bible you know teh womenz should be submissive to their men. you need that hot beef injection to set you @$$ straight hoe

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Your first post.

You had implied that the December holiday somehow only belonged to Christians when it is clearly stolen from earlier traditions, and adopted to your beliefs (i.e lying about when Christ was born to fit the holiday)

no i didn't lie. I just randomly typed christmas in google. and the first link was right there, the day Jesus was born.... id usually look more into it but i was multitasking by doing my homework. anyways I agree if thats what you want that whether christmas' root is irrevelant or not.... it still doesn't take away from the fact that it's called CHRISTmas and thats what atheist call it too.

slammedsl1
11-27-2008, 12:00 PM

You're 16, and you're embarassing yourself and what you believe in by spewing nonsense.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:02 PM
get back in the kitchen bit<h if you been reading the bible you know teh womenz should be submissive to their men. you need that hot beef injection to set you @$$ straight hoe

Im inferring that your changing the word husband to men so you sound smart but anyways ill let you slide...

Wives(women), be obedient to husbands(men), as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands(men), love your wives(women), and do not be harsh with them.? (Colossians 3:18).

The parenthesis for your case.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:04 PM
You're 16, and you're embarassing yourself and what you believe in by spewing nonsense.

Yea i seem differant right? black bird with white birds.....

just the way the earth was made of energy right?

incapable
11-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Im inferring that your changing the word husband to men so you sound smart but anyways ill let you slide...

Wives(women), be obedient to husbands(men), as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands(men), love your wives(women), and do not be harsh with them.? (Colossians 3:18).

The parenthesis for your case.
Did they make a computer on the kitchen oven or something? Other than that I believe you're supposed to be chained in the kitchen?!

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:06 PM

and you're 23?? you sure look 16 too.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Did they make a computer on the kitchen oven or something? Other than that I believe you're supposed to be chained in the kitchen?!

says?

StartTheMachine
11-27-2008, 12:08 PM
says?
Society. Sorry.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Society. Sorry.

evidence?

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:12 PM
and by the way is there a record for the most negs . wow how can someone not just peacefully defend their religion without getting a neg saying ... youre a dumb bitch and get back in the kitchen. i have a nice collection.

StartTheMachine
11-27-2008, 12:13 PM
evidence?
If you haven't noticed by now, there's no hope for you.

Also, verifiable FACT: 90% of American women are in their kitchens right now. The other 10% are at the store getting something they forgot.

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
If you haven't noticed by now, there's no hope for you.

Also, verifiable FACT: 90% of American women are in their kitchens right now. The other 10% are at the store getting something they forgot.

source?

Rune
11-27-2008, 12:17 PM
no i didn't lie.

Not you, the Catholic Church. Your just ignorant to the history of Christmas, I'm not holding that against you, we're all ignorant of something, but it's kind of dumb to argue about that which you are ignorant of. What some people call it is irreverent to me, a name is just that, the actual meaning/reason for the occasion is far more important(which I'm, sorry, isn't the birth of JC).

slammedsl1
11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
and you're 23?? you sure look 16 too.

Appearances can be deceiving.

StartTheMachine
11-27-2008, 12:22 PM
source?
Look out your window.

JAGERBOY
11-27-2008, 12:24 PM
ITT: I lol'd alot

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Look out your window.

some cars and a lake... what now?

StartTheMachine
11-27-2008, 12:33 PM
You must have missed it.

iliketodoit
11-27-2008, 12:36 PM

way to **** up my thread :(

JAGERBOY
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Are you really a 16 year old idiotic girl, or are you a 25 year old atheist troll? You can tell me the truth.

StartTheMachine
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM
way to **** up my thread :(
I'm partially to blame for that as well. :(

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 12:57 PM
if i hadn't posted, the thread would have ended with the letter X.

Be happy.

JAGERBOY
11-27-2008, 12:59 PM
if i hadn't posted, the thread would have ended with the word X.

Be happy.

Good so now that we've cleared that up, stop trollin.

slammedsl1
11-27-2008, 01:05 PM
if i hadn't posted, the thread would have ended with the letter X.

Be happy.

I think you meant the word christmas would have been spelled xmas?

PremierGirl
11-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I think you meant the word christmas would have been spelled xmas?

may you evauate what you just said. my 16 year old mind could not interpret what that had to do with your reply.

lancs_hotpot
11-27-2008, 01:16 PM
To me Christmas is and has always been about getting together with family, having a good time and gettin pressies. Since i left primary school i havent give a second thought to Jesus on Christmas day.

MantisShrimp
11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
and by the way is there a record for the most negs . wow how can someone not just peacefully defend their religion without getting a neg saying ... youre a dumb bitch and get back in the kitchen. i have a nice collection.

tol ya ye wer gonna git GROUNDED

rotlex
11-27-2008, 02:41 PM
You mean X-mas?

Can't be Christmas with the X.

You are correct. I love when someone attempts to degrade the name or meaning of Christmas by using Xmas. In most cases, they do not realize they are using a symbol/letter that has been used for centuries to represent Christ. I guess they never studied Greek. :)

StartTheMachine
11-27-2008, 02:44 PM
You are correct. I love when someone attempts to degrade the name or meaning of Christmas by using Xmas. In most cases, they do not realize they are using a symbol/letter that has been used for centuries to represent Christ. I guess they never studied Greek. :)
In my experience, people don't say "X-mas" to be derogatory. The "X" is isn't like a replacement for "Christ", rather it's kinda like a cross.

stealth_swimmer
11-27-2008, 03:59 PM

Technically, from what I know, it was never a Christian holiday. From what I understand, we're not supposed to mix religions and Christmas came about from traditions of different religions, including most notably a pagan holiday where the sun god was worshipped or something like that. Anyways, if I recall correctly, the Catholic church created Christmas as an excuse for people to get drunk and do stuff they weren't supposed to be doin.

StartTheMachine
11-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Technically, from what I know, it was never a Christian holiday. From what I understand, we're not supposed to mix religions and Christmas came about from traditions of different religions, including most notably a pagan holiday where the sun god was worshipped or something like that. Anyways, if I recall correctly, the Catholic church created Christmas as an excuse for people to get drunk and do stuff they weren't supposed to be doin.
The Church claims Christmas is celebrated on the 25th because it's the same date as a solstice-related pagan holiday, and they wanted their celebration to be less suspicious, for fear of being persecuted.

stealth_swimmer
11-27-2008, 04:13 PM
The Church claims Christmas is celebrated on the 25th because it's the same date as a solstice-related pagan holiday, and they wanted their celebration to be less suspicious, for fear of being persecuted.

"The Church" has done a lotta shady practices and tried covering their backs to no avail. This is just an extra thing that gives them a black eye (apparently they have tons of eyes as well :D)

StartTheMachine
11-27-2008, 04:17 PM
"The Church" has done a lotta shady practices and tried covering their backs to no avail. This is just an extra thing that gives them a black eye (apparently they have tons of eyes as well :D)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2307/1752963618_deaf2f296b.jpg
(Didn't see that coming, did you?)

Oh, it's harder to find an overall shadier organization than the Catholic Church. From unofficially helping the Nazis find Jews to their stance on slave trade...ugghh.

Oh, and the bringing trees indoors and putting candles on them thing? Entirely stolen from Yule, the holiday I was talking about. Christmas tree my ass.

stealth_swimmer
11-27-2008, 04:35 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2307/1752963618_deaf2f296b.jpg
(Didn't see that coming, did you?)

Oh, it's harder to find an overall shadier organization than the Catholic Church. From unofficially helping the Nazis find Jews to their stance on slave trade...ugghh.

Oh, and the bringing trees indoors and putting candles on them thing? Entirely stolen from Yule, the holiday I was talking about. Christmas tree my ass.

rofl, no I wasn't expectin that pic, though I did imagine somethin similar in my head :D

And yeah agreed with you on that stuff. Though the second paragraph, I didn't know about. Looks like I learned somethin new. :)

drew101
11-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Seriously, anyone?

Actually, the real Saint Nicholas was a Christian, (LOL).

guest89
11-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Most Christians know this, its still considered to be the birthday of Christ though, thus is celebrated as such.

Personally I don't see it as a 'bad' thing, whether you or a Christian or atheist. Its a time when you can buy gifts for the ones you love and get together with them and eat a nice meal. I actually really dislike the gift giving thing, not for any religious reasons but I personally am not big into it. Some years we skip it, some years we do something small and buy each other something, but let them pick out whatever they want. Usually when me and my family want something, we go buy it. (No we're not rich) Therefore we might each get something for each other just to let them know we are thinking about them. Usually something small though, we don't go all out.

Same as Easter and Thanksgiving, regardless of religion I see nothing wrong with taking a day off of work and gathering with family and friends.

drew101
11-27-2008, 05:09 PM
No, you don't understand... you're too young to.

But, yes, I'm an atheist who enjoys christmas. I like it when people say Merry Christmas. I buy presents for my kids, family and friends.

I am a lifelong atheist (literally never believed in any of it) and I always liked christmas.

Christmas is an old pagan tradition anyway lol, supposedly taken by the christians.

Did you tell your family yet about what you believe?

Black_Spit
11-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Did you tell your family yet about what you believe?

My wife has known since long before we married. :confused: And, it's not so much what 'I believe'... it's what I 'don't believe.' ;)