PDA

View Full Version : Joining the military and OBAMA

WyldStallionabr
11-26-2008, 04:55 PM
SO I was always thinking that the Marines would be a good idea for me and that i would prolly join after a couple years of college so I could someday be an officer. But, honestly, because Senator Obama was elected to President I would not even THINK of joining now. He plans to cut military spending by 25% (you cant argue that. plz dont try, he has been quoted many times) and has always spoken harshly of the troops.

any one agree? ur thots?

Hiroshawn_ftw
11-26-2008, 05:03 PM
im joining the army then trying for special forces.

KRANE
11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
He plans to cut military spending by 25% (you cant argue that. plz dont try,
any one agree? ur thots?LOL, well do you want an answer or not? :)

and has always spoken harshly of the troops.For example?

One more thing, lets start cleaning up that grammar. You'll never graduate OCS like that

http://www.37signals.com/svn/images/sic.jpg

cman1787
11-26-2008, 05:11 PM
im joining the army then trying for special forces.

why dont' u get an option 40 or 18x contract????

Hiroshawn_ftw
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM
why dont' u get an option 40 or 18x contract????

I don't know what that is. What is that?

Weight_Lifter
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
option 40 is a Ranger contract and 18x is Special Forces.

cman1787
11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I don't know what that is. What is that?

just look it up.

WyldStallionabr
11-26-2008, 05:17 PM
LOL, well do you want an answer or not? :)

For example?

One more thing, lets start cleaning up that grammar. You'll never graduate OCS like that

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/477171039_40441118d0.jpg

Dam, did u just kick my @ss over the internet? Dam x2.

I guess I just wanted to voice my opinion and see if anyone had any thoughts on it. I just didn't want kids coming in here and saying "oh exactly when and where did he say he is cutting military funding? Hmmm?!".

KRANE
11-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Dam, did u just kick my @ss over the internet? Dam x2.

I guess I just wanted to voice my opinion and see if anyone had any thoughts on it. I just didn't want kids coming in here and saying "oh exactly when and where did he say he is cutting military funding? Hmmm?!".There will ALWAYS be a military. And always space for good soldiers. Anyway, he may not be president by the time you graduate.

enkaroxch
11-26-2008, 05:28 PM
What do his plans for military spending have to do with whether or not you join?

nutsy54
11-26-2008, 05:30 PM
any one agree? ur thots?You join the military (especially the Marine Corps) because that, deep down, is what you want to do. If you start playing politics with your decision, then you'll be miserable every four years when a new President is potentially elected, and even every two years when the balance in Congress could change.

Regardless of who is sitting in the Oval Office, or who controls Congress, politics shouldn't be part of your decision to join the military.

(I've been in for 18 years, so you do the math on how many and which types of Presidents & Congresses I've served & re-enlisted under).

Geno
11-26-2008, 05:32 PM
The military has it's ups and it's downs just like any other thing - private companies, business ownership, etc.

It is also backed by the most powerful entity in the world - the United States of America so it will be around a very long time.

I lived through the Reagan years (up) and the Clinton years (down). If you want to do it - do it, if you don't, then don't.

dark24
11-26-2008, 05:32 PM
so fellas im thinkiin bout joining the military am i military material.......

nutsy54
11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
For example?Here you go. Apparently we're just a bunch of rampaging murderers over there. . .

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

HANOVER, N.H. - Presidential hopeful Barack Obama was warned by a friendly voter Monday to avoid public spats with his Democratic rivals ? but remarks he made later could add fuel to the criticism against him.

Asked whether he would move U.S. troops out of Iraq to better fight terrorism elsewhere, he brought up Afghanistan and said, "We've got to get the job done there and that requires us to have enough troops so that we're not just air-raiding villages and killing civilians, which is causing enormous pressure over there."http://sweetness-light.com/archive/obama-us-troops-must-do-more-than-kill-civilians

If nothing else, it certainly showed one hell of a lack of knowledge on his part regarding actual military operations in Afghanistan, Rules of Engagement, etc.

Hiroshawn_ftw
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Here you go. Apparently we're just a bunch of rampaging murderers over there. . .
http://sweetness-light.com/archive/obama-us-troops-must-do-more-than-kill-civilians

If nothing else, it certainly showed one hell of a lack of knowledge on his part regarding actual military operations in Afghanistan, Rules of Engagement, etc.

that was taken out of context. They snipped that little part out and left the other lol.

KRANE
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Here you go. Apparently we're just a bunch of rampaging murderers over there. . .
http://sweetness-light.com/archive/obama-us-troops-must-do-more-than-kill-civilians

If nothing else, it certainly showed one hell of a lack of knowledge on his part regarding actual military operations in Afghanistan, Rules of Engagement, etc.As I'm sure you know the chasm between a good military leader and a good political one is enormous. I can't think of any president that has ever gotten these two of these perfect.

nutsy54
11-26-2008, 06:19 PM
As I'm sure you know the chasm between a good military leader and a good political one is enormous. I can't think of any president that has ever gotten these two of these perfect.This isn't about detailed, perfect knowledge of specific tactical situations - His quote showed a general disdain towards the military he wishes to Command, and his perspective that our guys are just over there randomly killing civilians whenever it's convenient.

I would hope like Hell that any man who aspired to become Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces, and who, by the way, was also a member of the Senate Committees on Foreign Affairs and Veterans' Affairs, would have a better grasp of those Armed Forces, and how they routinely operate in foreign lands.

KRANE
11-26-2008, 06:23 PM
This isn't about detailed, perfect knowledge of specific tactical situations - His quote showed a general disdain towards the military he wishes to Command, and his perspective that our guys are just over there randomly killing civilians whenever it's convenient.

I would hope like Hell that any man who aspired to become Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces, and who, by the way, was also a member of the Senate Committees on Foreign Affairs and Veterans' Affairs, would have a better grasp of those Armed Forces, and how they routinely operate in foreign lands.Let's just give him a chance first shall we? Besides, I don't think Bush had a whole lot of experience in military leadership when he started either. Still, though he may make the final decision, it's not just the president, but who is on his cabinet that we have to worry about.

jmonty
11-26-2008, 06:52 PM
so fellas im thinkiin bout joining the military am i military material.......
all you need is to be qualified to join and have the dedication.