PDA

View Full Version : in support of brown rice

forklift
11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
guys i have seen the nutrition info and there is very little difference between white and brown on there. but...

i can say brown rice makes me feel really good, while white rice does not.

Phosphate bond
11-19-2008, 03:02 PM
There is a difference between brown rice and white rice but it is just so small when compared to something like this http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2626/2

10 oz package:

10 grams of carbs
8 grams of protein

Omega 3 392 mg
Omega 6 74mg

Vitamin A (beta carotene) 533% DV
Vitamin K 1715% DV

Folate 551 mcg

Magnesium 224 mg
Calcium 281 mg (impressive amount of calcium for a vegetable)
sodium 224 mg
Potassium 1585 mg (This is a lot of K+ for something that has only 10 grams of carbohydrates)

seattlems333
11-19-2008, 03:06 PM
If it helps you psychologically, then great, as long as you realize there isn't much of a difference.

adam247
11-19-2008, 03:08 PM
guys i have seen the nutrition info and there is very little difference between white and brown on there. but...

i can say brown rice makes me feel really good, while white rice does not.

wholegrain rice has a lower GI, more nutrients and digestive enzymes that help absorb/digest protein.

Phosphate bond
11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
If it helps you psychologically, then great, as long as you realize there isn't much of a difference.

Brown rice is better.

I just hope he realizes there are other ways to make up deficiencies in diet so the actual differences between brown rice and white rice aren't noticeable to his body.

Phosphate bond
11-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Speaking of nutritional comparisons look at the Nutritional data for Broccoli--->http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2

Now compare that to Spinach?

Am I missing something? Or do people just like how Broccoli tastes? (To me chopped spinach is just so much more appetizing. Maybe Popeye from the cartoons was on to something?)

Even the omega 3s are better in Spinach than Broccoli (not to mention the protein is also higher).

adam247
11-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Speaking of nutritional comparisons look at the Nutritional data for Broccoli--->http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2

Now compare that to Spinach?

Am I missing something? Or do people just like how Broccoli tastes? (To me chopped spinach is just so much more appetizing. Maybe Popeye from the cartoons was on to something?)

Even the omega 3s are better in Spinach than Broccoli (not to mention the protein is also higher).

bodybuilding nutrition is full or myths lol

Phosphate bond
11-19-2008, 04:07 PM
bodybuilding nutrition is full or myths lol

Yep I just found spinach two weeks ago while poking through Nutritiondata.com

That vegetable is really suprising to me to the point I wonder if there are descrepancies in nutrition data elsewhere. (Either that or that vegetable really pulls a lot of nutrients out of the soil in the process of growing it)

adam247
11-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Yep I just found spinach two weeks ago while poking through Nutritiondata.com

That vegetable is really suprising to me to the point I wonder if there are descrepancies in nutrition data elsewhere. (Either that or that vegetable really pulls a lot of nutrients out of the soil in the process of growing it)

Come on my friend popeye ate spinach ; )

Irish_Ben
11-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Its not the nutrient difference. . Its how your body processes it. . . You can drink a weight gainer shake with the exact same calorie, protein, and carb count and a steak and some veggies . . . but it acts very very different on your body. . .white rice is starchy and fast digesting. . . REAL brown rice is slow digestion. . .

adam247
11-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Its not the nutrient difference. . Its how your body processes it. . . You can drink a weight gainer shake with the exact same calorie, protein, and carb count and a steak and some veggies . . . but it acts very very different on your body. . .white rice is starchy and fast digesting. . . REAL brown rice is slow digestion. . .

That is the GI , it is both that and the nutrient content .

Holyspokes
11-19-2008, 04:46 PM
. . .white rice is starchy and fast digesting. . . REAL brown rice is slow digestion. . .

and still still starchy

hooked4life
11-19-2008, 04:47 PM

the GI of white and brown is pretty close. In fact I can find white that has lower GI than brown based on type/cooking method. Anyway, if you add some vegetables and protein the GI of the meal will be the same independant of the type of rice.

Moreover, before anyone starts talking about the type of carbs - 'white rice' IS 'brown rice' only with the layer of bran removed. I.E white = brown - some fiber/fat/nutrients (found in the husk). So white + some fiber/fat/nutrients = brown.

I hope my quasi math is legible...

Irish_Ben
11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
This is very true. If we were eating it all raw then it would matter. . .but once you cook it and throw in some veggies its all the same. But if you want to get to the science of it then it is different. . . But its not THAT different

hooked4life
11-19-2008, 04:57 PM
This is very true. If we were eating it all raw then it would matter. . .but once you cook it and throw in some veggies its all the same. But if you want to get to the science of it then it is different. . . But its not THAT different

agree, the rice husk offers some benefits. i'm just harping on this because brown rice often gets a reputation as some wonderful magical thing, while white rice gets portrayed as 'empty cals' akin to table sugar.