PDA

View Full Version : Excess Tuna

elmaestro
11-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Right well I know that all these advice "faceplant" posts are starting to get annoying for all of you - and if this is one of them just don't answer - but I have a quite big issue (and i did use the search & couldn't find anything).

I'm in uni and the cantene food is sh*t - and currently i'm eating about 9 cans of tuna a day + 3 ON 100% whey servings (2 scoops per serving) + salads, pasta and veggies with the tuna - so technically the diet isn't bad except for the fact that my only meat source is tuna.

I was wondering whether this much tuna is healthy? ( I searched on google etc.. and i only got FDA bullsh*t that's for pregnant women and stuff & i was curious to get more BB related answers)

I'm 17, weigh about 190lbs w around 10% bodyfat, have been working out for 3 years but only just started hypertrophy 4 months ago (so far i've only done maximum strength).

I'd appreciate any input.

Lemonzest
11-14-2008, 01:04 PM
9 Cans a day? you're gunna be pissing mercury

mistahans
11-14-2008, 01:07 PM
I really doubt that you can eat nine cans of tuna a day.

I eat two to three per day and I think that's rather ridiculous/gross.

elmaestro
11-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I really don't see the big deal, i mean the normal 100g cans. It's lunch 3, after workout 3 and dinner 3 :S.

p.s. where do i activate the quick reply thing, it says click on the click reply icon but i can't find it :$

elmaestro
11-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Oh and i'm around 6'3 (188cm)

CharliC
11-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Nine cans a day is definitely excessive, with the mercury risk. But why so much protein? Along with your shakes, doesn't that work out at somewhere over 300g?

elmaestro
11-15-2008, 04:56 AM
Well technically yeah but i'm still young and need to grow right? plus if i work out hard enough, is there ever "too muh protein"? + I've got an extremely high metabolism.

Thanks for the advice i appreciate it. I'll try find an alternative

Jules Verne
11-15-2008, 05:09 AM

Good idea IMO, BUT, don't just swap out ALL the tuna for ONLY chicken or something else.

Get in some variety, and it doesn't have to be 100% lean. Chicken thighs, for instance, are fine.

BookMonkey
11-15-2008, 01:32 PM
As much as I love tuna, I can't stand more than 3 cans a day, much less 3 a meal. I recommend mixing in various protein sources. Chicken, fish (as in salmon, etc), certain legumes are all great ways to do it. Personally I'm a huge fat-free cottage cheese fan. I go through tons of it.

FunkDaddy
11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't buy into the mercury stuff as much as others but even if it's somewhat risky, 9 cans is very excessive.

Kyle.Lgk
11-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Right well I know that all these advice "faceplant" posts are starting to get annoying for all of you - and if this is one of them just don't answer - but I have a quite big issue (and i did use the search & couldn't find anything).

I'm in uni and the cantene food is sh*t - and currently i'm eating about 9 cans of tuna a day + 3 ON 100% whey servings (2 scoops per serving) + salads, pasta and veggies with the tuna - so technically the diet isn't bad except for the fact that my only meat source is tuna.

I was wondering whether this much tuna is healthy? ( I searched on google etc.. and i only got FDA bullsh*t that's for pregnant women and stuff & i was curious to get more BB related answers)

I'm 17, weigh about 190lbs w around 10% bodyfat, have been working out for 3 years but only just started hypertrophy 4 months ago (so far i've only done maximum strength).

I'd appreciate any input.

9 cans of tuns + 6 scoops of ON = 460g of protein! ---- way to much bro! Your body is just gonna convert most of it

No1Spartan
11-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Well technically yeah but i'm still young and need to grow right? plus if i work out hard enough, is there ever "too muh protein"? + I've got an extremely high metabolism.

Try Canned Salmon, less Mercury or so ive heard i buy mine in Bulk from Costco, or Sams Club.

elmaestro
11-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try canned salmon, fat free cottage cheese & i'll try get chicken i can fry. Main concern was whether it's healthy and since it's clearly not i'll find something to replace it.

I really appreciate all the help.

dinger8
11-16-2008, 08:37 AM
I really don't see the big deal, i mean the normal 100g cans. It's lunch 3, after workout 3 and dinner 3 :S.

p.s. where do i activate the quick reply thing, it says click on the click reply icon but i can't find it :$
THAN WHY DID YOU POST THIS THREAD

TwinIam
11-16-2008, 08:47 AM

If you're consistently eating that much protein, your kidneys are going to be taking a ton of strain, bro (trust me - I've been yelled at by my own doctor enough). They'll tell you that your body can't digest more than .75g protein / lb of bodyweight (I think that that's a load of crap).

Just aim for 2g protein / lb of bodyweight (even that is sort of high) and drink a ton of water so that your kidneys are able to process it all. Remember, if you eat too much protein and too little of the other macros, your body will just turn to protein for energy instead of carbs or fat. If you keep your protein intake moderately high and up the other macros, your body will use carbs/fat for energy and more protein for strict muscle-building :D. GL, man.

Kyle.Lgk
11-17-2008, 04:32 AM
If you're consistently eating that much protein, your kidneys are going to be taking a ton of strain, bro (trust me - I've been yelled at by my own doctor enough). They'll tell you that your body can't digest more than .75g protein / lb of bodyweight (I think that that's a load of crap).

Just aim for 2g protein / lb of bodyweight (even that is sort of high) and drink a ton of water so that your kidneys are able to process it all. Remember, if you eat too much protein and too little of the other macros, your body will just turn to protein for energy instead of carbs or fat. If you keep your protein intake moderately high and up the other macros, your body will use carbs/fat for energy and more protein for strict muscle-building :D. GL, man.