PDA

View Full Version : The way we eat is/was it affected by our parents

dindysport
11-14-2008, 06:14 AM
and does our eating habbits play a part in our childrens

liftjunkie06
11-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Yes. Fortunately for me, my mom was very health concious when I was young. My wife and I are very health concious, and our son gets his vitamins, EFA's, etc. But, we understand he is also a kid and can eat other stuff, so we let him eat most stuff. we just limit sugar.

So, yes, I really think it does. They see examples and learn habits from us. We have to show them the healthy way to eat, IMO.

Cloaked
11-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Lead by example right? I notice a big difference in the eating habits when I visit home and when I eat on my own now.

It is true that it depends on the person, but when you parents cooking a meal, usually the kids are going to be eating like the parents. That doesnt mean you can't have different eating habits, but there are pressures that exists. Even to this day my parents ask me if I am eating enough... they make HUGE portions.

Marius_Ursus
11-14-2008, 06:33 AM
Yes. My mom's cooking was so greasy and disgusting that I vowed to find a better way to eat.

lancs_hotpot
11-14-2008, 06:45 AM
The way i eat is affected by my training.

KappaRaiders
11-14-2008, 06:46 AM
unfortunately, yes. up until the time i moved out, i ate what was put on the table in front of me. now, when i go home, the parents are insulted that i won't eat their meals. they don't care too much for eating right.

im HOPING that i stay this serious about my health when i have kids, so they can be brought up with healthy minds and bodies.

turtle_soup
11-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Our parents affect our eating habits.. For those of us working on a more fit life we can honestly say that either our parents were health concious or say we learned how to be healthy once we left home.
:)

Look at obese people - a lot of excuses is "genetics" - ok - to some degree - then look at the eating habits of those families = umm.. duh.

I grew up with homemade stuff - so eating out of boxes and such is SOOO gross to me becuase there is a difference.. blah.

i also got in the habit of shoveling food into my mouth because school only had x amount of time for lunch - so by the time you got to the lunch room and got seated they were pushing you out the door.. serious.
I have to make a concious effort on that part.

dindysport
11-14-2008, 09:52 AM
The way i eat is affected by my training.

that is now but what about when you were younger...

eduardosa
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
certainly, but not by my father though...my mom eats very very clean, and my dad doesn't give a **** about it (he tries to lose weight drinking whisky and eating swedish toast at night, lol). I used to eat pretty much everything, but then my brother became a very serious bbder and that was my motivation to get healthy too

TinaBee
11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
absolutely!!!! everything in my house was always homemade and fresh. even salad dressing! and to this day i cannot stand bottled dressings, canned soup, frozen entrees... etc etc even when i go out to eat if i get a salad i ask for olive oil and vinegar seperate and on the side lol. i never had fast food until my teens and so i dont really have a taste for that stuff. i have never in my life ate a fast food burger... i stopped eating red meat and pork at 12 yrs old (my own choice not my families influence, i just dont like the taste) well before my first fast food visit. my family is a big italian family so pasta is served with every dinner and i loveeee it. they make it themselves to the pasta and sauce. mmmm im hungry now haha

SheWulf
11-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Hm, I've thought a lot about this issue, but i think it can go either way. You have to let kids eat kid-stuff sometimes and not be a diet nazi while still trying to educate them and have them eat halfway decent.

In my household my mom let me eat whatever I wanted. We would have creampuffs sitting in the fridge randomnly when it wasn't a holiday, i usually ate a whole family sized box of mac and cheese for dinner, and fast food/tv dinners were very common. Going out for ice cream was very common too! At one point, i was drinking TWELVE cans of soda a day... loved the stuff. But my parents also encouraged me to participate in sports and I did. So I was still a healthy weight although i ate thousands and thousands of calories a day. But I didn't learn much. When I stopped being so active I gained a little bit of weight, took notice, and sought out information myself.

Now I don't have any of that junk anymore except of occasion. I haven't had a soda in years because it's just way too sweet for me.

On the other hand, I was friends with kids that had parents who were health freaks. They wouldn't let their children have ANY snacks! And what happened? When they went to a friends house or got to school, they would eat every piece of junk in sight.

So it has to be kind of a happy medium. I'd be interested to hear from parents and their experiences with raising children.

xl Achilles lx
11-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I was always a very active child, so my mom always encouraged me to eat. She was always a very health-conscious person, so she encouraged my dad to buy whole grain products, fuits, veggies and leaner meats (my dad would always try and sneak my sister and I Little Debbie and Hostess products tho). My parents would also keep places like McDonalds and Burgerking for treats every now and then, but with my thyroid condition and sports coming into the picture, they always made sure I was well fed. I always insisted there was always atleast a tub of ice cream in the house though...that was my vice as a kid.

As a kid, the last thing on my mind was eating, for me I was always focused on just being outside lol. Only time I ever ate was when I was absolutely starving haha. My mom's healthy eating lifestyle somewhat rubbed off on me (thankfully), and I'll definitely put it to use when I have children.

Lemonzest
11-14-2008, 01:01 PM
When i was a child i was always told to "Clean my plate" and mothers always give you too much food out of guilt of not wanting to starve their children :P

xl Achilles lx
11-14-2008, 01:03 PM
When i was a child i was always told to "Clean my plate" and mothers always give you too much food out of guilt of not wanting to starve their children :P

My Grandparents were always the ones stuffing me until I was on the verge of exploding. Christ they'd give me 2nds, 3rds and 4ths without even asking me, they'd just put more food on my plate lol.

bp16
11-14-2008, 01:07 PM
The one thing I do know rubbed off on me is that my dad would want me to finish what was on my dinner plate, and now I pretty much eat whatever is put in front of me, and I usually finish meals even if I am not necessarily hungry for the last part of it.

SheWulf
11-14-2008, 01:08 PM
My Grandparents were always the ones stuffing me until I was on the verge of exploding. Christ they'd give me 2nds, 3rds and 4ths without even asking me, they'd just put more food on my plate lol.

Haha yeah, my extended family would always expect the younger people (under 30) to eat the left overs and finish what's left. Mostly the boys were encouraged. COME ON JUST EAT IT, PUSSY!

Holyspokes
11-14-2008, 01:34 PM
My parents (mom was teh boss when it came to food) never forced anything on me, but only kept healthy food in the house. Almost entirely organic, no sweets really. The only time i had sweets was when my mom would bake brownies,cookies, etc. By the time I was in Middle School I'd beg my mom at least once a week to stop and pick up pizza on the way home from track practice. It definitely rubbed off on me. I eat the same way now, when I have the freedom to eat how I please, and I don't see myself changing. I love the way I eat.

lancs_hotpot
11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
that is now but what about when you were younger...

Oh well in that case absolutely.

If your mum and dad start you off eating ****e food then thats what you are going to get used to and come to love. Its a simple as that. If you see a fat kid it is almost certain their parents havent brought them up on a good diet.