PDA

View Full Version : Goopy feeling fat after good progress?

SpaceButler
11-13-2008, 07:39 AM
I think I've seen this topic around in the past, but I couldn't find any accessible threads on it.

I feel like I'm transitioning to the 17-19% bodyfat area after losing more fat in the past. While my lifts and things aren't going down, my body feels a bit.... less substantial, I'll guess.

My fat feels a lot softer, and it's not necessarily appealing. Is this a normal thing, or maybe just a sympton of being skinny fat? If this happens, should one bulk? My personal goal is to get to about 12-14% before I start a bulk, but if this goopier fat gets much worse, I might just bulk earlier.

Jim_C
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Some people are going to come by in a moment and tell you that this is fat that is about to be used since it is soft.

IMO, it will firm up when your skin tightens. Give it a little time.

commi
11-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Your fat turns loose when you are cutting because the blood flow or something like that. So that part is not a reason to bulk BUT if you are 162 at 5'9 and you are around 19 percent body fat you are definitly skinny fat and should bulk.

SpaceButler
11-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Great replies, and quickly too!

I appreciate the info.

I realize that I will be probably too thin by the time I hit my cutting goal. But I'm really thinking long-term, and the way I think of it, is that I have to scrape off the paint before I put on a new coat. So I'll get that body fat off as much as I can, then bulk up without becoming overly bloated.

I know it's harder to lose fat without much muscle, but I figure I should be able to get to at least 14% without too many problems.

Thanks again,
reps.

mpipes
11-13-2008, 10:28 AM
The fat cells are shrinking since they're giving up their fatty acids so you have less mass in the same space, which makes it feel softer. Also the space between the fat cells can refill with water, then things get real interesting.

But yes, you're going to look worse temporarily before it gets better.

SpaceButler
11-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Awesome.

That's all I need to shut off my brain and just keep plugging away.

Appreciate all the replies.

turtle_soup
11-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Some people are going to come by in a moment and tell you that this is fat that is about to be used since it is soft.

IMO, it will firm up when your skin tightens. Give it a little time.

Seriously?

I posted on that same feeling. HAHA

Lemonzest
11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
When fat cells give up there lipids, its replaced with water, then after a few days you get a sudden "Flush" and drop a few pounds, that may also be why it feels "squishy" and "squirmy" :)

tubbykid
11-13-2008, 12:21 PM
wow I was just about to post about this. The bottom of my stomach has that squishy feeling also. It sucks. So it will go away soon?

mpipes
11-13-2008, 03:08 PM
wow I was just about to post about this. The bottom of my stomach has that squishy feeling also. It sucks. So it will go away soon?

Yeah, it should go away eventually on its own, but if it keeps hangin around for a while you might need to give it a kickstart by manipulating sodium, potassium and water intake a little. Nothing too extreme because it can backfire but just enough to get some water to drop.