PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, will Obama being elected....

JRRBadBoy4Life
11-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Will Obama being elected bring the country together or tear us further apart. Please vote and answer honestly.

SilverSpork
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Equal chance for both, too early to tell.

Gregory_WE
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Hopefully bring the country together, because people need to stop being so damn stupid and realize that hating your neighbor and being close-minded and stubborn when it comes to politics is a great way to get nothing done.

I thought McCain's concession speech was very good and made it clear that working together was the most important thing for all Americans. I was left with a lot of respect for McCain as he definitely seems like a good man and truly puts the country first by pledging to help Obama. Of course, on the issues, I disagree with him and to an even greater extent Sarah Palin, hence why I voted the way I did.

IdahoViking
11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
He certainly will not bring us together as a nation. The best we can hope for is that we aren't torn apart any further than we already are.

sword_
11-05-2008, 01:32 PM
He certainly will not bring us together as a nation. The best we can hope for is that we aren't torn apart any further than we already are.

Why do you think that.

There are stubborn people from both parties, but I have seen more people carry disdain for Democrats now that Obama is elected.

Obama seems like he is egalitarian and values other opinions. A bit naive and idealistic, but he isn't the one that is attempting to create animosity towards other people.

IdahoViking
11-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Why do you think that.

There are stubborn people from both parties, but I have seen more people carry disdain for Democrats now that Obama is elected.

Obama seems like he is egalitarian and values other opinions. A bit naive and idealistic, but he isn't the one that is attempting to create animosity towards other people.
In order to bring this country together it would've taken the election of a moderate democrat or a moderate republican. While neither candidate fit that description well - McCain was closer to the center than Obama IMHO.

...and from what I've seen the Democrats have been poor winners and are taken great pleasure in rubbing this victory in the losing parties faces. At the moment we are further divided than ever.

JRRBadBoy4Life
11-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I have to admit that Obama seems to be a genuine, fair person from what I've seen, even though I never jumped on the Obamawagon. But I still believe we are in for some tough times and I doubt the country will come together anytime soon.

JRRBadBoy4Life
11-05-2008, 01:46 PM
...and from what I've seen the Democrats have been poor winners and are taken great pleasure in rubbing this victory in the losing parties faces. At the moment we are further divided than ever.

Not in the history of our country, but probably during most of our lifetimes this is about as divided as we have been.

sword_
11-05-2008, 01:46 PM
In order to bring this country together it would've taken the election of a moderate democrat or a moderate republican. While neither candidate fit that description well - McCain was closer to the center than Obama IMHO.

Obama WILL have to come to the center to appease both sides. He is more left centrist now.

IdahoViking
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
Not in the history of our country, but probably during most of our lifetimes this is about as divided as we have been.

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the Civil War Era was definitely more devisive and the Civil Rights Era was probably more devisive than what we now face. This is the most divided we have been in the last 30 or so years.

SilverSpork
11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the Civil War Era was definitely more devisive and the Civil Rights Era was probably more devisive that what we now face. This is the most divided we have been in the last 30 or so years.

It's true. While people are crying and getting weak at the knees over Obama, the rest of us are just sitting back saying "what the **** is going on?"

KhanPaulsen
11-05-2008, 01:53 PM
The only way Obama could do it is with a Republican Congress.

There isn't one.

There is Pelosi and Reid.

Mark my words, we will be torn farther apart.

Mtguy8787
11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I see the country going through some big bumps over the next couple/several years before anything starts to get better. Obama, or any other president for that matter, cannot tear us apart or bring us together. I see the country being more divided over the next several years, but the people have done this to themselves. Obama can't do what people havent already done. He may serve as a trigger, or a focal point for this division, but if it wasnt him, it would be someone else, or something else.

kappakai
11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
i think he will bring the middle of the country, the mainstream, together. but, the lunatic fringes on both sides will get louder. the religious right rabble that we'd seen so much of will just get louder, while far left liberals will be disappointed as obama has to move back towards the center.

vandamfan
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
what if Obama flucks up?

Will people tear on him like Bush or let him slide?

There are obama HATERS and then obama LOVERS that are on his nuts,there is no chance of bringing the country together

SilverSpork
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
as obama has to move back towards the center.

Hope this is how it pans out.

ajn
11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Obama WILL have to come to the center to appease both sides. He is more left centrist now.
I concur.

I don't know about "appeasing" both sides... that shouldn't be his goal, because somebody is always going to get their feelings hurt regardless.

He is left of center now, but I don't believe he has far left motives. I have faith that he will take a levelheaded and pragmatic approach to leadership, or I wouldn't have cast my vote for him.

But the threat is still potentially there... if he moves into the White House and starts doing favors for Pelosi and Harry Reid, it will not result in a good presidency.

Another possible threat I see is if he becomes too "globalistic". I read earlier that European leaders are already calling for the formation of a "new economic world order" type of BS.

These are just potential threats I see, but I am in no way pessimistic. I hope himself and his team have focused goals, and I also hope he keeps a hand on the pulse of the people. But I think he has the tools to be the right kind of leader, and I think he has already begun bringing the country together.

Havok83
11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Unforutnetly I said equal of chance of both. Id love to think it will bring us together but I cant say that for certain

IdahoViking
11-05-2008, 02:30 PM
... and I think he has already begun bringing the country together.
How so? I see and hear more animosity today than I did even a week ago. Where is the bringing together?

TheManofSteel
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
IF something happens to him, we are looking at some "race wars"... it could prove to be a very bad scenario!

I pray for everyone's safety during these 4 years... there are alot of un-happy Americans today

Gregory_WE
11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
How so? I see and hear more animosity today than I did even a week ago. Where is the bringing together?

That's to be expected immediately following an election.

Just look at the democratic primary, for instance. There was some major, major tension, and there was widespread doubt that democrats could come together for November. Well, that seems so long ago now doesn't it? Obviously, it's easier to pull two democrats together than it is to pull a republican and a democrat together, but hopefully you get my point.

ajn
11-05-2008, 02:39 PM
No **** you're seeing animosity now... the election was yesterday and the GOP took it in the ass. Hardcore conservatives are obviously still bitter right now.

But both McCain and Obama gave the right speeches last night, and those words resonated with a lot of people, regular people who aren't waist deep in partisan bickering.

Oh, and... I don't want to assume, but based on your screenname, I'd say that what you've been seeing in Idaho is probably not the best representation of the United States as a whole.