PDA

View Full Version : Protein shake?? Yes, cliffs

hockeyplaya13
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
OK, so I'm starting to help my friend out with working out. He comes with me to the gym and works out and I try to coach him on the basics of nutrition and everything, but he has serious issues. First of all, he doesn't like dairy. WTF? I get a ton of protein from dairy. And he loves fruit. Thats not really a problem, but if he's eating more fruit than he is meat, we have a problem. So he has issues getting his protein in throughout the day. He asked me what supps to use, I said just stick with whey for now. Only problem is he doesn't like milk much at all, so mixing shakes with milk doesn't work, and IMO mixing shakes with water is nasty as all get out. So my question is, what brands/flavors of whey protein do you recommend that tastes alright when mixed with water? And what are some of your homemade smoothy recipes that don't involve milk?

Cliffs:
-friend doesnt like dairy/milk, cant get enough protein throughout day
-doesn't care for whey, but i told him he must have it
-need brand/flavor of whey protein that tastes good mixed w/water
-recipes for fruit smoothy things with whey.

Thanks.

Love Pirate
11-04-2008, 12:47 PM
On whey makes a lot of fruity ones like fruit punch and strawberry banana. you could probably mix them with either water, fruit juice, or gatorade. that way he's getting even more fruit (which he loves lol)

Guai
11-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Blender? Check.
Protein? Check.
Fruits? Check.

See where I'm going? You can make delicious fruity smoothies and just add protein to them, and you won't even taste it. Here's a good one, since he doesn't like dairy:

-Apple juice
-Banana
-Strawberries
-Blueberries
-Raspberries
-Protein
-Ice
-Honey

Blend and gg. It's all about being a little creative. I have at least a dozen different recipes I use often.

namtrag
11-04-2008, 12:55 PM
All the Whey makes an incredible Cinammon Bun flavor.

nooblifter12
11-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I use Pro Performance Brand and it tastes decent with water. Choclate Caramel is awesome.

Holyspokes
11-04-2008, 12:59 PM
So why does he need whey ?

7ABSOLUT7
11-04-2008, 01:16 PM
no point of helping him if doesnt to do it himself

he's the one that will have to read up and try his own mixes

until then trow PB/cinnamon up in his shakes and tell him to stop being a bitch

FootBallBeast
11-04-2008, 01:27 PM
All the Whey makes an incredible Cinammon Bun flavor.

Yup. That **** is kickass. Don't forget teh cupcake batter! And strawberry, that ****s underrated

SupaNatural
11-04-2008, 02:04 PM
No use in helping somebody that doesn't want to help themselves.

TulsaCoker
11-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Try BSN Syntha6 Strawberry. Excellent taste with water

hockeyplaya13
11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow thanks for the quick responses guys! Yea, I kno what ur sayin, don't bother if he's not gonna do it himself. I'm just trying to get him to understand how important nutrition is. He wants to do supps, and I tried telling him that drinking whey immediately after your workout is the first step, but he refuses to like whey. I'll make him try some of these and see if he'll drink em.

IrishMarine0311
11-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Wow thanks for the quick responses guys! Yea, I kno what ur sayin, don't bother if he's not gonna do it himself. I'm just trying to get him to understand how important nutrition is. He wants to do supps, and I tried telling him that drinking whey immediately after your workout is the first step, but he refuses to like whey. I'll make him try some of these and see if he'll drink em.

Taste is relative. Tell him to suck it up and drink the shake with water.

designer12
11-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Oats, milk (or water), bananas, whey, frozen berries, maybe a little dextrose = mmm mmm good.

nooblifter12
11-04-2008, 04:45 PM
The taste is just a plus. The shake's purpose is protein. If he is not willing to put up with the bad taste I can guarantee you he will never keep up with his workouts. It takes more effort to push through that last set or rep than it takes to swallow some poor tasting liquid.

mridgley
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Look man...he's new to this...everything is going to taste bad. He needs time to wing himself off the junk-food and eventually he will enjoy the healthier diet.

Recently, I have been using the remaining coffee in my pot for frapichino style shakes.

Pro Complex is also a decent tasting protein - I will not use anything but PC.

USCdynamite13
11-04-2008, 07:05 PM
OK, so I'm starting to help my friend out with working out. He comes with me to the gym and works out and I try to coach him on the basics of nutrition and everything, but he has serious issues. First of all, he doesn't like dairy. WTF? I get a ton of protein from dairy. And he loves fruit. Thats not really a problem, but if he's eating more fruit than he is meat, we have a problem. So he has issues getting his protein in throughout the day. He asked me what supps to use, I said just stick with whey for now. Only problem is he doesn't like milk much at all, so mixing shakes with milk doesn't work, and IMO mixing shakes with water is nasty as all get out. So my question is, what brands/flavors of whey protein do you recommend that tastes alright when mixed with water? And what are some of your homemade smoothy recipes that don't involve milk?

Cliffs:
-friend doesnt like dairy/milk, cant get enough protein throughout day
-doesn't care for whey, but i told him he must have it
-need brand/flavor of whey protein that tastes good mixed w/water
-recipes for fruit smoothy things with whey.

Thanks.

whey fruit smoothie:
1 scoop ON tropical punch
4 oz apple juice or pomegranate juice
4 oz orange juice
half a sliced peach
3-5 ice cubes
blend 20-25 seconds

Tastes very good actually. I accidentally bought tropical punch whey once and it tasted bad in water so I had to get creative and this has now become my preworkout staple.