PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of cheat meals/days?

username3
11-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Is it just to satisfy ur cravings for junk food, or is there an actual benefit of them? Coz i dont really get cravings... a cheat day for me would be to not eat anything lol.

dn27
11-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Some people think it "stokes" your metabolism. But this is normally just an excuse to eat junk. Yes, it's just to satisfy your cravings for junk. For me it means don't be afraid of a meal out with friends and getting chips and cheese, wings, and drinks.

In Keto, a cheat meal might be a carb up. This is necessary for them to replenish glycogin (sp?). So, unless you're on Keto, don't worry about it.

GTmauf
11-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Actually, I think cheat meals are encouraged because of something to do with Leptin levels. May want to do a search on it.

snorkelman
11-04-2008, 07:54 AM
along the lines of the first comment, but also different, there is a school of thought that eating clean all week long is good but your body gets used to it and, like with exercise, will adapt. having a cheat meal is thought by some to trick your body, as an attempt to prevent it from slowing down its metabolism. It has been referred to as "resetting" metabolism.

I don't think this has been conclusively proven yet, and therefore is controversial.

username3
11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
along the lines of the first comment, but also different, there is a school of thought that eating clean all week long is good but your body gets used to it and, like with exercise, will adapt. having a cheat meal is thought by some to trick your body, as an attempt to prevent it from slowing down its metabolism. It has been referred to as "resetting" metabolism.

I don't think this has been conclusively proven yet, and therefore is controversial.

what about if ur metabolism is already too fast? it would be good for it to slow down right?

GTmauf
11-04-2008, 08:57 AM
not sure if anyone's metabolism is "too fast." But if it's faster than you like...I guess that's different if you don't like to eat tons of food.

ddollar
11-04-2008, 09:37 AM

That makes no sense to me people say when they eat dirty that cals are cals as long as you hit your macros so if thats true this makes no sense. If you follow this eating "clean" would spike it aswell as long as you go over maintenance

username3
11-04-2008, 09:42 AM
That makes no sense to me people say when they eat dirty that cals are cals as long as you hit your macros so if thats true this makes no sense. If you follow this eating "clean" would spike it aswell as long as you go over maintenance

people who eat dirty and say cals are cals are misinformed.

labradarep
11-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Actually, I think cheat meals are encouraged because of something to do with Leptin levels. May want to do a search on it.

You are correct. Leptin is an anti-starvation hormone. It's levels drop quickly when you are in a calorie deficit and rise quickly when you are in a surplus.

Therefore, when , for example, you are cutting you need to occasionally increase leptin levels by having a "cheat day". This spike in calories signals your body that you are not in "starvation mode" & leptin levels rise to normal or re-set. If leptin stays low for too long it signals the thyroid to slow down. Thus decreasing your core temp & conserving calories.

Hope this helps somewhat.

GTmauf
11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
You are correct. Leptin is an anti-starvation hormone. It's levels drop quickly when you are in a calorie deficit and rise quickly when you are in a surplus.

Therefore, when , for example, you are cutting you need to occasionally increase leptin levels by having a "cheat day". This spike in calories signals your body that you are not in "starvation mode" & leptin levels rise to normal or re-set. If leptin stays low for too long it signals the thyroid to slow down. Thus decreasing your core temp & conserving calories.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Thank you for extending on what I said. I wasn't sure of the what's/how's of it. I just knew I remembered reading about why they are good to have.

ddollar
11-04-2008, 09:53 AM
I agree even when i hit macros and eat a cheat meal it affects my body composition but when i go over eating "clean" i dont have the same problems

matth87
11-04-2008, 10:01 AM
No point its an excuse for people who want to eat dirty not to feel as bad.

GTmauf
11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
No point its an excuse for people who want to eat dirty not to feel as bad.

You may want to read a few posts up....And do some more research.

matth87
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
You may want to read a few posts up....And do some more research.

been on these boards since 2006, nutrition section is so funny, the majority of the people on these forums try to justify cheat meals as being just as healthy as eating clean, and yeah for the average dieter its a good idea because seriously who wants to eat healthy 24/7. But if your really dedicated it is "better" to not eat sh*t.

Im not saying i dont cheat, im just saying.

GTmauf
11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
been on these boards since 2006, nutrition section is so funny, the majority of the people on these forums try to justify cheat meals as being just as healthy as eating clean, and yeah for the average dieter its a good idea because seriously who wants to eat healthy 24/7. But if your really dedicated it is "better" to not eat sh*t.

Im not saying i dont cheat, im just saying.

Ok, I think I see what you mean, you are saying "cheat meals" as in eating a bunch of junky food. I agree with you there.

I thought you meant eating over maintenance one day was not useful. My "cheat meal/day" is just eating a lot more of the foods I eat every day(i.e. not junk food).

matth87
11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Ok, I think I see what you mean, you are saying "cheat meals" as in eating a bunch of junky food. I agree with you there.

I thought you meant eating over maintenance one day was not useful. My "cheat meal/day" is just eating a lot more of the foods I eat every day(i.e. not junk food).

Technically it really depends on what you consider, "cheat meal" i think everyone has their own opinions but alot of the new people to the nutrition section easily get the wrong idea. Thats why i really dont like to use the word cheat meal, and it annoys me to a degree when other people use it to.

For example you cheat meal could be eatting say something that is high carbs and could actually be benefical to you because you went low carbs the last three days. (Carb Cycling)

GTmauf
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Technically it really depends on what you consider, "cheat meal" i think everyone has their own opinions but alot of the new people to the nutrition section easily get the wrong idea. Thats why i really dont like to use the word cheat meal, and it annoys me to a degree when other people use it to.

For example you cheat meal could be eatting say something that is high carbs and could actually be benefical to you because you went low carbs the last three days. (Carb Cycling)

I completely agree, and that was why I had originally posted what I did. Because I was confused on what you meant by your definition of "cheat meal." See I think of cheat meals as going over maintenance while still eating nutrient dense foods. But that is my use of a cheat meal.

in10city
11-04-2008, 10:26 AM
-> http://www.mindandmuscle.net/search/node/%22Leptin%3A+The+Next+Big+Thing%22

If you're at low BF levels, low-carbing, on a hypocaloric diet, depleted, etc... it may have some benefits. Outside of that, not so much. It does more to give your body and mind a break from the stress of "clean" eating or dieting more than anything.

daYDreAmErX
11-04-2008, 10:30 AM

And you're an idiot.

GTmauf
11-04-2008, 10:30 AM

If you're at low BF levels, low-carbing, on a hypocaloric diet, depleted, etc... it may have some benefits. Outside of that, not so much. It does more to give your body and mind a break from the stress of "clean" eating or dieting more than anything.

Thanks, looks like a great read, can't wait to read all of it!

US_Ranger
11-04-2008, 10:53 AM

Agreed.

Also, IMO a refeed > cheating.

Paumen
11-04-2008, 11:06 AM
And you're an idiot.

GOt something to back this up with little lady?

Paumen
11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Agreed.

Also, IMO a refeed > cheating.

So true.

daYDreAmErX
11-04-2008, 11:11 AM
GOt something to back this up with little lady?

Let's not start another "a calorie is a calorie" thread, please.

Paumen
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Fine , fine just tryna have some fun =(

username3
11-04-2008, 01:20 PM

but a calorie isnt a calorie... thats the point.

designer12
11-04-2008, 01:25 PM
It keeps you sane.

aheineken
11-04-2008, 01:51 PM
It keeps you sane.

That was my first thought when I saw this thread. I don't schedule cheat meals, but I eventually feel like I need one to keep from going crazy (especially when my friends constantly eat junk around me). Sometimes I can make it 2-3 weeks without cheating, sometimes it's twice a week.

hooked4life
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
but a calorie isnt a calorie... thats the point.

macros equal it really is.