PDA

View Full Version : Are we destrying our planet by building more muscle mass

jbond830
11-04-2008, 05:35 AM
Hey, check this out,
Shun meat, says UN climate chief
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7600005.stm

Looks like its not the cars which lead to global warming, its the meat we eat. Are we destroying our planet by building more muscle.

What about whey protein powder, does it also play a significant role?

Mr.Runner
11-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Meat consumption is just wasteful in general. The amount of water and grain you need to make meat, especially the amount America makes, is unbelievable. And I'm not going to bother going into it too much, because people here have this unbelievable resistance toward someone asking them to change their eating habits even slightly (well, unless it drops their BF of course), but if you're interested, look into it.

Pick up "The Ethics of What We Eat". It's a very level-headed, objective account of the ramifications of meat/egg consumption.

lth
11-04-2008, 06:22 AM
omg

smacks forehead

lorinelise
11-04-2008, 06:23 AM
omg

smacks forehead

X 2...wtf?!

I can't believe this is a serious question.

lth
11-04-2008, 06:56 AM
X 2...wtf?!

I can't believe this is a serious question.

this is damn near the dumbest one so far

blacksmith77
11-04-2008, 07:08 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/blacksmith77x/JESUS-JERK.gif

IGF-WON
11-04-2008, 07:14 AM
yes, we are. If everyone in earth wanted to eat the way we do, it couldnt happen.

does that mean ill change? probably not

daltrey
11-04-2008, 07:23 AM
No offense, but if a person wanted to he could come up with a million ways that we are destroying this planet. This planet is believed to be 4 BILLION years old so honestly I think you have no need to worry about it. I'm sure we will be long gone before it is and I don't mean you and me, I mean our civilization.

xl Achilles lx
11-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Meat consumption is just wasteful in general. The amount of water and grain you need to make meat, especially the amount America makes, is unbelievable.

Go vegan then, and stop crying.
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh206/xlAchilleslx/chris-crocker.jpg

IrishMarine0311
11-04-2008, 07:34 AM
I look at it this way...

What is one bi-product of a cow? Methane right? Which coincidentally is one of the major greenhouse gases! So by eating cows, I am preventing them from farting, which is preventing the escape of toxic fumes into our atmosphere. I am actually doing my part for our environment by killing and eating cows. :)

blacksmith77
11-04-2008, 07:45 AM
The earth doesnt weigh any less or more by eating meat... think of it as recycling.

HerveDuchemin
11-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Pick up "The Ethics of What We Eat". It's a very level-headed, objective account of the ramifications of meat/egg consumption.

Looks like a good book from the amazon excerpts I read. Thanks.

Check out "skinny bitch" also. I'm not about being vegan, but the book is well-written (obviously for the female audience), and there is one chapter where a lady goes into a slaughterhouse with a tape recorder, that is so graphic that it is difficult to read.

Sleepstream
11-04-2008, 08:41 AM
http://republiquecricket.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/hulk-smash.jpg

Seems like building more muscle mass destroys the planet.

GTmauf
11-04-2008, 08:53 AM
sweet pic, but it didn't destroy anything. He just moved rocks around :)

Neopragmatist
11-04-2008, 09:15 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/nozty8.jpg

jbond830
11-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Hey, plz read this patiently. I couldnt go past the 1st page.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=bd9a94b6-4215-435e-b5b1-ac719c4bfd40

Hotmoltenlava
11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
If the crazies had their way, we'd be back to living in powerless mud huts and scavenging for nuts and berries. My bet is that, even then, they'd say we were destroying the planet with our own poo. They should just kill themselves, so that there would be a few less polluters in the world and let the rest of us live our lives.

Mr.Runner
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
No, the "crazies" are the ones like PETA and the ALF. They make it seem like everyone who chooses not to eat meat are also ready to throw molotovs through a McDonalds window.

And what's with this strange pattern I always see whenever someone mentions vegetarianism? That if you just simply curb your meat eating habits, suddenly we'll also being living in shacks welded together with our own **** and using our taxes to buy lawyers for abused animals. It's ridiculous that you can't even talk about this.

And we don't believe that meat-eating will be the downfall of the planet. But the logic behind "Well, everything else is ****ed, so why not?" only seems to apply to this one issue. That's like if you went up to a cop and told him you just been robbed, and he said "Are you kiddin? There's a war going on in Sri Lanka, you selfish prick!"

It's more an issue of water pollution than anything else.

bobbybuilder1
11-04-2008, 10:47 AM
No, the "crazies" are the ones like PETA and the ALF. They make it seem like everyone who chooses not to eat meat are also ready to throw molotovs through a McDonalds window.

And what's with this strange pattern I always see whenever someone mentions vegetarianism? That if you just simply curb your meat eating habits, suddenly we'll also being living in shacks welded together with our own **** and using our taxes to buy lawyers for abused animals. It's ridiculous that you can't even talk about this.

And we don't believe that meat-eating will be the downfall of the planet. But the logic behind "Well, everything else is ****ed, so why not?" only seems to apply to this one issue. That's like if you went up to a cop and told him you just been robbed, and he said "Are you kiddin? There's a war going on in Sri Lanka, you selfish prick!"

It's more an issue of water pollution than anything else.

Well im a proud member of PETA....

People Eating Tasty Animals. :D

Hotmoltenlava
11-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Meat consumption is just wasteful in general. The amount of water and grain you need to make meat, especially the amount America makes, is unbelievable.

I'll take it a step further. I think the water and grain that you consume is wasteful. I think you should kill yourself and save the planet. Don't forget to have your family recycle your remains.....:D

And what's with this strange pattern I always see whenever someone mentions vegetarianism? That if you just simply curb your meat eating habits, suddenly we'll also being living in shacks.

This isn't the first time that I have discussed this and I was using hyberbole. I have no problem with the discussion of curbing meat eating, but when the UN states that it is causing global warming, that is a precursor to a future mandate that we curb meat eating. The fact that you are advocating this on a bodybuilding website where the high majority are consuming 3 times the protein that the general public is consuming makes this ridiculous. Good luck trying to get support for your cause here.....:D

And we don't believe that meat-eating will be the downfall of the planet.

Who is WE? You just flipped the discussion to the opinions of whatever advocacy group you now represent. This thread was about the UN stating that meat eating is contributing to global warming and that we should curb or stop our meat eating.

Mr.Runner
11-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Obviously "we" simply meant people who don't eat meat, nothing more or less than that.

And I know you were joking. But people also consider this, for some reason, a legitimate arguement against even discussing this.

And I guess you're right. It was a mistake to come on here and try to tell people who are consuming more protein than they would possibly ever need, to just simply think about these things once in awhile. That was selfish. Right. My bad. <_<

US_Ranger
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Part of this is true....especially with beef.

Cows take a massive amount of water and clean water happens to be getting more and more scarce. Of course, a scientific method of turning sea water into fresh water would fix that. It can be done already but it's not economical at all.

Cows also take up a large area of land compared to other forms of meat. This means constant deforestation, especially in areas of rain forest, and that causes harm to eco-systems and the environment.

Cows are methane polluters. That's a big greenhouse gas. How much of this man-made global warming stuff is real, I have no clue, but cows still do release a lot of green house gasses.

An alternative to not stopping meat consumption? Switch to a more low yield meat like chicken. OR, you can also try grass fed animals instead of grain fed as they don't require food that humans also eat, therefore lowering the agricultural capacity required to feed them.

Hotmoltenlava
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
And I guess you're right. It was a mistake to come on here and try to tell people who are consuming more protein than they would possibly ever need, to just simply think about these things once in awhile. That was selfish. Right. My bad. <_<

I'm glad that you now see the error of your ways and I accept your very serious and thoughtful apology. We can't always be right, but we can be gracious.....:D

dn27
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Brb, destroying Earth.

But really, wether we eat meat or not, the majority of the world will still consume it. The entire BB.com community can't change demand drastically enough to slow beef production. So meat would still be raised, and we wouldn't get the joy of eating it. But we'll still get to live with the consequenses!

Also, what about eating nothing but plants? Wouldn't we be getting rid of plants that remove the major green house gas, CO2?

Save the plants, eat a cow...

Mr.Runner
11-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, at least you're not exactly 'hostile'.

Just irritating and condescending ;)

I'm still right though.

dn27
11-04-2008, 11:09 AM
http://republiquecricket.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/hulk-smash.jpg

Seems like building more muscle mass destroys the planet.

Oh, and the Hulk has weak traps, lol.

lth
11-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh, and the Hulk has weak traps, lol.

but but...hez got teh forearm striationz!

Hotmoltenlava
11-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Well, at least you're not exactly 'hostile'.

Just irritating and condescending ;)

That sounds a little bit like a compliment. I await your official bb.com friend invite.

You're allright, Mr. Runner. When you eat your next brussel sprout, think of me fondly and smile.

jbond830
11-04-2008, 10:22 PM
That sounds a little bit like a compliment. I await your official bb.com friend invite.

You're allright, Mr. Runner. When you eat your next brussel sprout, think of me fondly and smile.

I am happy that we had bilateral views on the topic. But... too much supporters on one side while just few on the other.

About the Global warming dangerous gases, I wondered if we can make them escape out of our atmosphere into planet Mars atmosphere. May be we can create a ultra minute pipe and pump the compressed C02 into mars( or how about into the Moon it has absolutely no atmosphere).
I think this would solve the problem.

X-Mark-X
11-04-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't like people, but I like meat, easy decision for me. I get to enjoy my meat and slowly kill all the people I hate simultaneously, I win.

Seriously though there was this girl in my class who was a member of PETA, and she was crazy. She wanted to be a reikei (sp?) master, which is someone who heals people with energy. Then at Halloween she told us all to avoid Mars bars because they test on animals. Then she bought a leather belt. I am going to make a hamburger now just to spite her. I might even only finish half of it just to be wasteful.

P.S. I'm mostly joking don't neg me you crazy tree hugging hippy bastards...

jbond830
11-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey, ever wondered how the soldiers in Iraq get their share of protein in their diet. Wont they loose muscle being in the desert.

Or could there be some secret stuff they use to prevent muscle loss?

LS2Stew
11-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Well global warming is a big ****ing con anyway, no warming for a decade since surprise suprise the sun stopped being unprecedentedly active.

It does take around 6 calories of vegetation to create 1 calorie of meat, but that's roughly why we pay around 6 times more per calorie for chicken than we do for rice.

IGF-WON
11-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Well global warming is a big ****ing con anyway, no warming for a decade since surprise suprise the sun stopped being unprecedentedly active.

It does take around 6 calories of vegetation to create 1 calorie of meat, but that's roughly why we pay around 6 times more per calorie for chicken than we do for rice.

great, but that money doesnt make it less wasteful.

back-in-da-game
11-05-2008, 07:26 AM
EVERYTHING we do. EVERYTHING, adds to the "destroying of our planet". Even recycling uses energy and gas and blah blah blah... no matter what we do we will eventually "destroy" the planet. Just live your lives the way YOU want to and enjoy it. Someday we will all die and it will all fall apart but so what? You won't feel a thing. Just live your life.

Meat is yummy!

Mr.Runner
11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Right. Nothing matters. It doesn't matter if you make friends because they'll all be dead eventually. You shouldn't be kind to your family because they'll be rotting in the ground soon. You should actually, probably, just dig a hole and wait to die.

Damn. All those poor students of ethics were wasting their time.

I hope you're catching the sarcasm, and the fact that this double standard of "nothing matters" only seems to come about when people who eat meat are trying to defend themselves.

Not saying that someone can't come up with a good arguement.

But the one posted above is laughably bad.

SunKissedDreams
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
does building muscle harm the planet? no, you can build muscle and get plenty of protein from plant based foods.

factory faming if animals does harm the planet yes. it causes more polution then every vehicle in the world together.

being vegan, vegetarian, etc... will help animals, your health and the planet. i became one recently for many reasons. the condition animals live in make them sick, they are fed all kinds of hormones and antibiotics and other crap, i dont want that junk in my body...

but in no way can you "not gain muscle" or get enough protein because you choose this lifestyle so no, building muscle does not harm the planet.

i know plenty of non-vegans will never understand vegans and think they are crazy and radical, just like non-ravers will never understand ravers and people who hate rap will never understand why some people like rap, ive found you're better off chatting to vegans about your veganism then to try to talk about it on a board fulll of meating eating body builders. ;)

Mr.Runner
11-05-2008, 01:13 PM
I'd like to just say that I don't want to promote the "us vs. them" nonsense that usually comes out of these types of discussions.

It happens on both sides; vegetarians think they're "enlightened", and meat eaters think that they're entitled to eat as they please without a thought to how it affects animals, waterways, and the people who DO have to deal with the effects of this practice.

What vegetarians have to understand is that there' ZERO stigma on meat eating in American society. At some point, almost everyone you ever loved and respected has eaten meat, because that's simply how it is.

I actually don't get pissed when people say that they don't care about the animals, or that the world is going to hell. You can't do much with those people.

But what bothers me is that before the arguement even starts they become defensive and refuse to listen. Or if they KNOW it's wrong, but continue eating meat and animal products out of simple stubborness and convenience.

Both sides have to give a little, and that actually goes more for vegetarians than anyone else.

Hotmoltenlava
11-05-2008, 01:15 PM
ive found you're better off chatting to vegans about your veganism then to try to talk about it on a board fulll of meating eating body builders. ;)

What he said.

Mr.Runner
11-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes. It's very healthy to stay in small, like-minded cliques ;)

blacksmith77
11-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes. It's very healthy to stay in small, like-minded cliques ;)

u mad?

Mr.Runner
11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I was more talking about the "vegan" clique, but is there something else I should be mad about?

xspasmx
11-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Global warming is a lie. nuff said.
Just like SARS and the Rain Forest dieing and the y2k bug.
It is just the next fad thing to be stupid about or worry for no reason. In ten years everyone will have forgotten about it.
When did you last here someone say save the rainforest?

back-in-da-game
11-05-2008, 01:53 PM
save the......................................

HUMANS

Mr.Runner
11-05-2008, 03:06 PM
It is just the next fad thing to be stupid about or worry for no reason. In ten years everyone will have forgotten about it.

I'm not completely sold on the global warming thing either; as in, it's caused by us rather than the planet.

But SARS? That...happened. And the rain forests ARE being cleared, just not at the rate people say.

But one indisputable thing is the water contamination that results from factory farming, as well as the runoff that pollutes the air and soil of people who live downstream by waterways. AND the waste of grains, land, and water.

PrinceNZ
11-05-2008, 03:21 PM

Not to mention all the methane from those protein farts.

Anyway, Bodybuilding is an extremely wasteful exercise. Its basically proof of how ridiculously wealthy we are (as americans or westerners).

To engage in bodybuilding we purposefully go to a gym and lift heavy weights and run on treadmills to burn energy. Then we go home and eat thousands of calories of food, and we also need to drink gallons of water to keep this up. All to build superfluous amounts of muscle largely for cosmetic purposes.

Meanwhile, people in other countries are struggling not to starve to death, lucky to eat 500 calories in a day, mainly from rice or other plants. Livestock is treated as a gold-like commodity, use is for emergency only. The only water they have available is dirty, taken from a well in the ground. While we are busy thinking about how to burn those extra calories, these guys are struggling to even get the calories they need for basic existence.

Makes you think huh?

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go eat my 4th meal for today, I'm only up to 2,000 calories today and I really need to boost those macros.

Mr.Runner
11-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Yep, America's a superfluous place. Not that I'm not thankful of the abundance.

harrytipper
11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Meat consumption is just wasteful in general. The amount of water and grain you need to make meat, especially the amount America makes, is unbelievable. And I'm not going to bother going into it too much, because people here have this unbelievable resistance toward someone asking them to change their eating habits even slightly (well, unless it drops their BF of course), but if you're interested, look into it.

lol who cares

Marion_Cobretti
11-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Two words that are destroying Earth: BOTTLED WATER

We have 18 wheelers moving 45,000 LBS of bottled water all over N. America because society demands it. The amount of diesel fuel burned it not measurable.

Oh yeah, not to mention all the empty plastic bottles. Environmental catastrophe.

Mr.Runner
11-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Mmmm...immortal plastic...

PrinceNZ
11-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Mmmm...immortal plastic...

Our bodies should be made of plastic... then we could live for millions of years in rubbish dumps.

X-Mark-X
11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Two words that are destroying Earth: BOTTLED WATER

We have 18 wheelers moving 45,000 LBS of bottled water all over N. America because society demands it. The amount of diesel fuel burned it not measurable.

Oh yeah, not to mention all the empty plastic bottles. Environmental catastrophe.

But I was told not to reuse my plastic bottles because the estrogen will make me a woman!!

SDC77
11-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Jesus, tell me you're wearing a tin foil hat while you're sitting at your computer. Global warming a lie? SARS a lie? Wow.

Holyspokes
11-05-2008, 04:37 PM
As long as you are a member of civilization, you will be contributing to the destruction of the planet, no matter how minute. Civilization as we know it is not sustainable.

bp16
11-05-2008, 10:56 PM
this is damn near the dumbest one so far

Yeah, known facts are pretty stupid.

bp16
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM

You can't be serious? Anyways, global warming is more or less proven.

jbond830
11-05-2008, 11:04 PM
But I was told not to reuse my plastic bottles because the estrogen will make me a woman!!

That sounds news to me. Plastic dont carry estrogen. How about cancer???

Hey, And the other post about using thousands of gallons of diesel to transport bottled water is a true wastage. Damn, that proves it all...

hooked4life
11-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Looked. I am an American, I eat what I want. Ok. But pull your heads out of your asses. OBVIOUSLY those of us with the privileged to eat whatever we want whenever we want just to get cosmetically bigger or ripped are getting more than our 'fair share.' It's pretty hard to argue against. I will continue to do it, but recognize how lucky I am.

PrinceNZ
11-06-2008, 12:28 AM
Looked. I am an American, I eat what I want. Ok. But pull your heads out of your asses. OBVIOUSLY those of us with the privileged to eat whatever we want whenever we want just to get cosmetically bigger or ripped are getting more than our 'fair share.' It's pretty hard to argue against. I will continue to do it, but recognize how lucky I am.
Congratulations on being a self righteous ass.

Theres nothing wrong with eating what you want and having more than your fair share, but putting it down to the fact that you're "an american" -- why don't you go f-ck yourself.

MattyH7688
11-06-2008, 12:47 AM
i am glad that steak i ate contributed to global warming

it gets cold as **** in erie pa

Mr.Runner
11-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Congratulations on being a self righteous ass.

Theres nothing wrong with eating what you want and having more than your fair share, but putting it down to the fact that you're "an american" -- why don't you go f-ck yourself.

That's just the truth, really. We're an abundant place. If you live in America, you have a choice.

nspeed22
11-06-2008, 05:06 AM
OR, you can also try grass fed animals instead of grain fed as they don't require food that humans also eat, therefore lowering the agricultural capacity required to feed them.

x2. Reps when I can for a voice of reason and not ranting and railing with stupid comments for one side or the other. We would be a whole lot better off environmentally and nutritionally if we switched to intensive rotational/grassfed farming.

HerveDuchemin
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
lol who cares

Spoken like a true 17 year old

PrinceNZ
11-06-2008, 03:34 PM
That's just the truth, really. We're an abundant place. If you live in America, you have a choice.

You idiot.

America is not the only place where citizens enjoy an abundance of food and consumer choice. Have you heard of Europe? East Asia? Australia and New Zealand? Christ, get your head of your ass.

Holyspokes
11-06-2008, 03:50 PM
You idiot.

America is not the only place where citizens enjoy an abundance of food and consumer choice. Have you heard of Europe? East Asia? Australia and New Zealand? Christ, get your head of your ass.

calm down neither of them said "America is the land of plenty and everywhere else is struggling just to get by". They just mean that, in general if you live in America you are getting more than your "fair share".

Marion_Cobretti
11-06-2008, 04:53 PM
If we as a society do not solve the bottled water crisis, we will be setting ourselves up for a heavily polluted planet that we will be leaving the children.

Hotmoltenlava
11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
They just mean that, in general if you live in America you are getting more than your "fair share".

What is a fair share, who decides what a fair share is and who is going to enforce this fair share principle you speak of? If it is up to the UN (going back to the original point of this thread), the UN will....or would like to. The day that this happens is the day that this ceases to be America. Advocate all you want, but stay away from my right to eat what I want.

As a side note, I buy local "free-range" grass-fed beef by the quarter (stored in my freezer) and have local organic produce delivered weekly. I do this because it tastes better, is more fresh and is cheaper, because I know the owners. I practice what others preach.......:D

Mr.Runner
11-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not a hypocrite. I saw no logical reason or use to eat meat or eggs or dairy so I stopped; I'll admit I'm not "pure", the term vegans use to indicate that someone is completely free from any kind of animal product whatsoever. I eat bread made with honey, I'll eat something someone baked even if they used an egg, and every few weeks if a few people I know go out for pizza I'll have some.

You don't have to deal in absolutes.

And if you knew me Prince, you'd laugh, because I can't stand the jingoism in America today. You need to chill the hell out; there wasn't a single part of my post that should lead you to believe that I thought America and ONLY America had it good.

You seem to have a bit of a problem with us to begin with, so I'm not gonna get into that.

SDC77
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
You idiot.

Have you heard of diseases of affluence?

X-Mark-X
11-06-2008, 10:16 PM
You idiot.

Hey, what about Canada?

jbond830
11-06-2008, 10:41 PM
calm down neither of them said "America is the land of plenty and everywhere else is struggling just to get by". They just mean that, in general if you live in America you are getting more than your "fair share".

America has abundant quantities but in less variety. You get pounds of tasty chicken at a cheap rate. The same goes with banana,spinach, grapes, rice or anything that matter. How many variety of banana have you seen in USA? ...just one.

But there is lot more to natural food that the average American consumer has no idea it exits. You got 500 varieties of banana. You got a 1000 different Spinach.

One thing you see very less in the american shops is the Cereal.
Did you know 100g of Cereals (Dal) has 25 gms of protein with BV of >70%. It is equivalent to chicken. Cereals also have all the naturally occurring amino acids.

And its not just the methane from animals which causes the global warming. The article states its the energy consumed for processing meat. It means the total co2 emitted while preparing food for the animals, while farming, while processing the meat, and giving it as a final product to the consumer. It all matters.

USA being based on capitalism, and focusing on industry growth and profits has to sacrifice on such things. But in the cost of what... the whole world??

First, people have to get introduced to the abundant varieties in food and then they eventually will choose as per their needs. But as of now, there is not many to choose from as the source of protein.

So fck the world, eat what you are served.

Hotmoltenlava
11-07-2008, 06:26 AM
USA being based on capitalism, and focusing on industry growth and profits has to sacrifice on such things.

Now we get down to the OP's and the UN's goal for the good old USA. The hatred and future destruction of capitalism. I guess capitalism is bad for the planet, but socialism is good for the planet. If that is the case, fcuk the planet.......:D

Bioteknik
11-07-2008, 08:55 AM
America has abundant quantities but in less variety. You get pounds of tasty chicken at a cheap rate. The same goes with banana,spinach, grapes, rice or anything that matter. How many variety of banana have you seen in USA? ...just one.

But there is lot more to natural food that the average American consumer has no idea it exits. You got 500 varieties of banana. You got a 1000 different Spinach.

One thing you see very less in the american shops is the Cereal.
Did you know 100g of Cereals (Dal) has 25 gms of protein with BV of >70%. It is equivalent to chicken. Cereals also have all the naturally occurring amino acids.

And its not just the methane from animals which causes the global warming. The article states its the energy consumed for processing meat. It means the total co2 emitted while preparing food for the animals, while farming, while processing the meat, and giving it as a final product to the consumer. It all matters.

USA being based on capitalism, and focusing on industry growth and profits has to sacrifice on such things. But in the cost of what... the whole world??

First, people have to get introduced to the abundant varieties in food and then they eventually will choose as per their needs. But as of now, there is not many to choose from as the source of protein.

So fck the world, eat what you are served.

you have no idea what is on the shelves in american stores then..

jbond830
11-07-2008, 09:04 AM
you have no idea what is on the shelves in american stores then..

yea, I do my shopping in Shoppers, Giants, Safeway. I have never seen them selling lentils

Actually I was talking about lentils not cereals as I mentioned in my other post(not the breakfast cereal). The lentils have a good amount of protein.

Also, I have just seen one type of banana sold in USA. And I think that too is a genetically modified one.

So what are you talking about?

Bioteknik
11-07-2008, 10:04 AM
yea, I do my shopping in Shoppers, Giants, Safeway. I have never seen them selling lentils

Actually I was talking about lentils not cereals as I mentioned in my other post(not the breakfast cereal). The lentils have a good amount of protein.

Also, I have just seen one type of banana sold in USA. And I think that too is a genetically modified one.

So what are you talking about?

interesting, I can buy lentils, barley, millet, red rice, black rice, etc..

Not sure how many of the banana varieties are just the same kind but mroe mature (i.e. green plantain vs ripe plantain), but there are several varieties at my local store(the small thai bananas, and some other green banana), along with quince, dragon fruit, guava, papaya, durian, sugar cane, pomelo, jackfruit.. all sorts of stuff.

RoAR
11-07-2008, 10:08 AM
its not the planet we are distroying , we as a human civiliation are killing ourselev, after we all die out earth will still be here, it aint goin nowhere lol

jbond830
11-07-2008, 12:48 PM
interesting, I can buy lentils, barley, millet, red rice, black rice, etc..

Not sure how many of the banana varieties are just the same kind but mroe mature (i.e. green plantain vs ripe plantain), but there are several varieties at my local store(the small thai bananas, and some other green banana), along with quince, dragon fruit, guava, papaya, durian, sugar cane, pomelo, jackfruit.. all sorts of stuff.

May be you are more than average american. I rarely find lentils or even some cereals available in our shops. May be you have done your research on this...

lentils have 26% protein. Just found this really interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil

Bioteknik
11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
May be you are more than average american. I rarely find lentils or even some cereals available in our shops. May be you have done your research on this...

lentils have 26% protein. Just found this really interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil

It helps to live in an area that is extremely multicultural, I hardly shop at giant and safeway these days.

blacksmith77
11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
mmmmmmm pork chop
hope u enjoyin ur linda mcartney mycoprotein fungi soy playdoh

belairdfence99
11-07-2008, 03:28 PM
everything is "bad" for the world
a volcano going off sends tons of CO2 into the atmosphere
get over it