PDA

View Full Version : I keep frying my CNS system, please help

Myrdek
11-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Before I start explaining my problem I should mention that I've been living with panic attacks for as long as I can remember. I think it's genetic as they often hit from nowhere for no reason. I have dealt with them but its only because I've learned to live using many different methods to relax my body.

For the past year I've been having troubles with overtraining, I've taken many weeks off because it kept happening. I have no idea what I could be doing wrong and I've changed many things hoping to stop it.

I know I'm not training too hard, I just took 2 months off and started again 2 weeks ago. I train each muscle group once a week, 3 days a week using 5x5 method. Today, chest day, after training I started to feel really horrible and I've been slightly shaking ever since, completly emotional for no reason etc...

My nutrition is the only thing left that might cause this

I take a good ratio of protein/fat/carbs, I use protein supplements and a multivitamin. I don't eat that much meat because im too lazy to cook and I eat a lot of wheat bread. I take roughly 150-200g of proteins per day and half of them come from supplements

Now, I'm not sure what kind of food replenishes the part of your brain that calms you down and I would greatly appreciate some information on this. I don't mean camomille tea or such, I mean things I'm depleting with training that I lack in my nutrition :)

Please help, for the first time in my life I'm actually thinking of quitting something and I'm tired of sleepless nights

LarryByrd
11-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Hey man, what makes you think you're over-training? From the looks of it, your nutrition + workouts are sound. Do you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night? From what you've described, it doesn't sound like your body is being over-trained. Plus, you're getting enough protein. Are you taking in enough carbs? 400g++??/day? Just seems awkward. Doing the 5 x 5 is supposed to eliminate over-training altogether.

Might need to go see a doctor on this. Sounds pretty serious.

Also, could be side effects of some medication, example : Xanax

Myrdek
11-04-2008, 01:13 AM
From the symptoms of overtraining I've read, it seems to be what I have. They go away after a few days off and only happen after training for a little while.

Loss of libido
Trouble falling asleep
Depression

On average I eat 3500 calories on training days (600-800 protein, 500-600 fat, rest carbs) , drink 4 liters of water, sleep 9 hours. I don't take medications, don't drink, don't take drugs

I'm in a bulking phase and gaining around 1 pound a week and I'm also gaining muscle and strength very easily. That is, until I fry my CNS and I start losing it. I also ride my bike 3x40 minutes/week on the days I don't lift weights.

When I finish my training session and I'm overtrained I feel like I have an electric current running throughout my body that won't stop. I usually take a small 30 minutes nap after training but when that happens I can't lie still for 5 minutes because I feel too tense and keep tossing around. After 2-3 days of rest things go back to normal but until then it can take me 3-4 additional hours than usual to fall asleep. Right now I've calmed down a little (8 hours after training) but that's because I was sick of shaking and drank 2 cups of camomill tea. I'll probably end up taking a melatonin pill before going to sleep even though I don't like taking things like that.

SDC77
11-04-2008, 02:38 AM
I doubt you are over training. If you are truly getting 9 hours of sleep and are still experiencing what feels like a frying of the CNS, go see a doctor.

KlimTheSmartCow
11-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Loss of libido
Trouble falling asleep
Depression

if that was a sure-fire way of determining over training, I think half of this site would be over training. I think everyone suffers from this a little when weight training. The sleep thing is an issue though

Jules Verne
11-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Have you ever had a complete hormone panel?

I've never had panic attacks, but are you working with a doc on this? I'm not even sure you are 'frying' your CNS, but in any case it seems you are going to need some doctors help here if you are going to work though this.

I would start by doing even less and see at that level you body can cope with the workload. what if you do 1 workout/week and go lighter (like 15-20 reps), never to failure, and 1 cardio session? It's probably not going to lead to a solution though.

LS2Stew
11-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Are you making sure you have fast-digesting carbs (dextrose/glucose) and whey straight after your workout to replenish your energy stores?

dn27
11-04-2008, 04:35 AM
if that was a sure-fire way of determining over training, I think half of this site would be over training. I think everyone suffers from this a little when weight training. The sleep thing is an issue though

Ecept the misc.... Those ****ers are always honrey...

Anyways, to the OP, have you tried a more volume baised approach to training? If you keep doing 5x5 and it never works, I'd try something different. Good luck.

Myrdek
11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Anyways, to the OP, have you tried a more volume baised approach to training? If you keep doing 5x5 and it never works, I'd try something different. Good luck.

I've tried 6 different training methods in the past year, making them easier and easier and none of them worked. I could of course try to do that again and go more towards volume but I don't want to be a bodybuilder, I only care about strength. Muscle is a side-effect for me :)

LS2Stew: Yes, for the past 2 weeks there was a sale on pop-tarts and I ate 1 (200 calories) along with 100 calories of whey protein after training. After halloween I bought 4 kg of sweets on sale for that purpose. Yea I know, I should use cleaner fast absorbing food but it gives me more motivation to train :)

Does anyone else have any idea? I really don't like the idea of going to see a doctor for something like this, its a last resort for me.

Holyspokes
12-22-2008, 04:22 PM
I've tried 6 different training methods in the past year, making them easier and easier and none of them worked. I could of course try to do that again and go more towards volume but I don't want to be a bodybuilder, I only care about strength. Muscle is a side-effect for me :)

LS2Stew: Yes, for the past 2 weeks there was a sale on pop-tarts and I ate 1 (200 calories) along with 100 calories of whey protein after training. After halloween I bought 4 kg of sweets on sale for that purpose. Yea I know, I should use cleaner fast absorbing food but it gives me more motivation to train :)

Does anyone else have any idea? I really don't like the idea of going to see a doctor for something like this, its a last resort for me.

I had a lot of the same issues, went to a doctor because my sleep was shot, couldn't sleep longer than 3 hours straight when I always slept like a log, libido gone, mood swings.

Turned out my testosterone was shot, and I have some type of pituitary tumor..

Go to the doc

Ibballard
12-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Loss of libido
Trouble falling asleep
Depression

Those are some symptoms of overtraining, but they are also symptoms of a lot of other things, and given your schedule I don't think they are a result of the training. More likely they are a symptom of a sleeping disorder, mood disorder, or hormonal imbalance. Talk to your doctor about possible remedies. In your case I don't think this is a diet and exercise related or fixable-by issue.

qdiddy69
12-22-2008, 06:32 PM
are u still seeing results from your training, if your overtraining u would notice a big decline in the weight room

oneshotuno
12-22-2008, 06:54 PM
My sense is that it's the other way around. 500g of carbs a day is alot, and unless you're running a marathon every other day, all you are doing is promoting inflammation throughout your body. Also the reliance on wheat is an issue, gluten is believed to have a role in many mental problems. From autism to schizophrenia, the prevalence of gluten intolerance is high in patients with mental illnesses. If you think it's genetic, gluten intolerance often is. Do you have any other physical symptoms? I.E. High blood pressure or high cholesterol/triglyceride levels?
My advise is to try a diet that avoid the gluten and lowers inflammation. Get your carbs from fruits and veggies, with starchy potatoes or rice post workout. Up the fats (plenty of nuts and seeds, olive oil on everything). Keep getting the same amount of protein you are getting. See how you feel. Maybe go more extreme and try a keto type diet and drop the fruits and starchy carbs. If you don't feel better in a few weeks, the doc is definitely your best bet. Good luck.

RachelBringIt
12-22-2008, 06:56 PM
I would look into getting "Rescue Remedy". Its a natural solution to Panic and Anxiety, they have it at GNC. Helped me a lot during tests (I have stress triggered panic attacks) and helped my friend who has random panic attacks.