PDA

View Full Version : Pre-workout/What source of protein?

PePPaRoz
11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Since forever I've always been having a decently sized steak, brown rice and vegetables for my pre-workout meal. Then I would usually workout around 1.5 hours later.

However, now I'm wondering whether a medium sized steak will be digested properly before I begin my workout.

So do you think it's fine if I stick with this current meal? Or would it be a better option to have a couple of egg whites instead (with the brown rice and vegetables). And if I shoot for the egg whites, how long before should I eat them before my workout?

determined4000
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Since forever I've always been having a decently sized steak, brown rice and vegetables for my pre-workout meal. Then I would usually workout around 1.5 hours later.

However, now I'm wondering whether a medium sized steak will be digested properly before I begin my workout.

So do you think it's fine if I stick with this current meal? Or would it be a better option to have a couple of egg whites instead (with the brown rice and vegetables). And if I shoot for the egg whites, how long before should I eat them before my workout?

Steak defintely does not digest in 1.5 hours.

Paumen
11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Steak will take a good 6 hours before it hits the muscle, its never the meal you eat right before that gets used anyways so it's fine. But I myself like something softer then that, I don't want lots of blood in my stomach during a workout so I typically just drink a thick shake with like a bowl of rice and sometimes a box of raisins as well.

designer12
11-03-2008, 06:50 PM
If you're making gains, why worry about it? I blend up a shake with plenty of carbs (>150g) and drink that about 2 hours before a workout, with plenty of water.

But, if it works it works.

thebasil
11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Steak will take a good 6 hours before it hits the muscle, its never the meal you eat right before that gets used anyways so it's fine. But I myself like something softer then that, I don't want lots of blood in my stomach during a workout so I typically just drink a thick shake with like a bowl of rice and sometimes a box of raisins as well.

Raisins are amazing.

I like having whey or a lean source of protein. If its whey I'll eat about an hour preworkout, if its chicken or something of the sort I give it an hour and a half.

djansen
11-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I have whey or a protein blend 1.5 hours pre. Its cheap and I dont like lifting on a full stomach.

lac38780
11-03-2008, 10:13 PM
I usually eat a turkey sandwich and one scoop of whey. Plus my creatine (mri anabolic switch) has 27 grams of carbs.

Works for me.