PDA

View Full Version : No-Knead Bread

TC26
11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't know if anyone has heard about this, but a pharmacist I work with told me about this bread recipe she found. Its bread that is made out of whole wheat flour, and consists of the flour, yeast, salt and water. That's it. To me it sounded healthy, but figured I'd share it and see what everyone else thought. I was told it was really good, so I figured if it was "healthy" and tasted good, it might be worth a shot. Plus I thought home-bread sounded better then store-packed bread, but I could be wrong, I'll find out tomorrow... hahaha

If you look online for the recipe, you'll find a variety of different versions. But the way it was given to me was:
3 1/2 cups bread flour (apparently bread flour is wheat flour, but I used a whole wheat flour)
3/4 packet yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups water

Mix all the dry ingredients, then add the water. Then let the dough rise for 4 hours (most recipes online say about 18-24 hours, I did it for 5 hours) Put some oil on surface of dough, flip dough on itself once or twice, then let it rise for another 30mins. Then at this point let the oven warm up for 30 mins, and place a pyrex dish in oven for 30 mins while it heats up. Then bake dough for 30 mins covered, after 30 mins bake uncovered for 15-30 mins, until golden brown. (With wheat dough, its hard to tell when its golden brown... lol) Thats basically it, I just baked my first loaf, I haven't tried it, I'm gonna try it tomorrow. When I took it off the pan, it was kinda hard, so I'm nervous to see how it tastes...

Since its just mainly composed of the whole wheat flour, I'm assuming the nutritional info is based off the flour...

One serving size would be 30g.
Calories: 110
Total Fat: .5 g
Total Carb: 21g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Sugar: 1g
Protein: 4g

So, I guess any input is apperciated. If you want to learn more just google "no-knead" bread, you'll get a lot of hits. Or if you want the recipe, I can scan the recipe I have and upload it. The description I gave for baking it was kind of the brief version.