PDA

View Full Version : Carb Loading

mwolfeass39
11-03-2008, 05:53 AM
I have an APFT coming up for the Army in 2 days. I want to score perfect, but I always seem to tire out halfway through the 2 mile run. I was instructed to "load up on carbs" the night before in order to have some extra sustainable energy for the run.

My question is: Would loading up on carbs before bed actually make a difference in my energy levels the next morning? If so, what to eat??

Wowzer
11-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I have an APFT coming up for the Army in 2 days. I want to score perfect, but I always seem to tire out halfway through the 2 mile run. I was instructed to "load up on carbs" the night before in order to have some extra sustainable energy for the run.

My question is: Would loading up on carbs before bed actually make a difference in my energy levels the next morning? If so, what to eat??

A two mile run isn't long enough for carb loading to make a difference.

Unless you are significantly glycogen depleted already, which would only occur if you are on a keto diet or are ridiculously active the day before.

LarryByrd
11-04-2008, 12:48 AM
You can do a progressive carb loading, which is just getting 100g of extra carbs a day for 4 days straight, prior to the event. You don't really have to load up a **** load the night before. I'd say take two rest days before the event, this will conserve the energy.