PDA

View Full Version : What's the #1 thing you learned from this Nutrition section of BB.com?

snorkelman
11-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Some of us have known for a long time that you should strive to incorporate certain fats into our daily eating rather than trying to be completely fat-free.

Others have recently had their eyes opened to this nugget after reading posts on this website.

Similar things are true with regard to egg yolks, cottage cheese and casein protein, etc.

I am curious to see what is your #1 thing that you learned from this forum.

Let's try and stay away from stuff like, "Don't listen to all the bro science" but instead let's all try and focus on specific stuff directly related to nutrition that we have learned from the nutrition section of this website.

Who knows, we all might learn something or be reminded of somethings. Not to mention that this thread might be a helpful resource for newbies.

supra_gainer
11-03-2008, 05:25 AM
As long as you hit calories and to a lesser extent macros, whether the food you eat is "clean" or "dirty" doesn't really matter for the average lifter. Completely flipped my diet and attitude towards trying to get in shape on its head.

gbone74
11-03-2008, 05:36 AM
As long as you hit calories and to a lesser extent macros, whether the food you eat is "clean" or "dirty" doesn't really matter for the average lifter. Completely flipped my diet and attitude towards trying to get in shape on its head.

x2

For me it made losing a lot of weight seem less of chore than having to do things perfect,rather than being obsessed by what I can or should eat,I eat everything in moderation and train hard and enjoy every minute of it.

FunkDaddy
11-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Reinforcing my idea that eating more helped/helps me lose weight

Camaron2er
11-03-2008, 05:38 AM
that you can almost never get a straight answer

LS2Stew
11-03-2008, 05:42 AM
To trust things you learn from your own body rather than things from the Nutrition section of BB.com.

FunkDaddy
11-03-2008, 05:46 AM
To trust things you learn from your own body rather than things from the Nutrition section of BB.com.

I feel bad for anybody who didn't know that before coming here

Jules Verne
11-03-2008, 05:48 AM
That this is a mirror image of society, with very intelligent people, very successful people, very helpful people, students, masters as well as people that cant think for themselves, have no logical/analytical reasoning skills, extremists, bullies, *******s, people that crave attention etc etc...

Nutrition wise, I stay because I enjoy the banter and occasionally come across a gem of an idea or something new. Always good and interesting to keep learning and be exposed to different thoughts and ideas.

LS2Stew
11-03-2008, 05:51 AM
I feel bad for anybody who didn't know that before coming here

It is admittedly a long process as there are so many variables to tinker with and all sorts of placebos and fads you can fool yourself with. You need a base level of knowledge before you can trust yourself.

Yaxley
11-03-2008, 06:45 AM
I have learned how to structure my diet, not only to gain muscle but to be healthy :)

Tomek
11-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Never doubt yourself.

If your eating in relation to your needs and training hard/ smart... You will always progress.

lth
11-03-2008, 07:02 AM

good job man, your right...macros are macros, people doubt this theory but those who end up trying it figure out that it is correct.

blacksmith77
11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Clean Cuts
Dirty Bulks
Moderation in Maintaining

This was before I learned.

Stanco
11-03-2008, 07:29 AM
I learnt that all the different views on what the right diet is has completely confused the hell out of me.

Paumen
11-03-2008, 07:36 AM
I learned about sludge, that is all.

domenickb
11-03-2008, 07:39 AM
I learned some people think way too much.

lth
11-03-2008, 07:41 AM
I learned about sludge, that is all.

lol; paumen is always good for the lulz

Bioteknik
11-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I learned that some people honestly feel that fruit on a cut will keep you from losing fat. I learned about Alan's research review which has supported some of the views I already had(whole food FTW) and introduced some new ones (fat pwo isn't the devil).

lancs_hotpot
11-03-2008, 09:31 AM
F*ck all

danoobsminion
11-03-2008, 09:34 AM
carbz aft3r 6ix = fatz gain

-Aaron-
11-03-2008, 09:35 AM
lol; paumen is always good for the lulz

Is that the stuff with Sci Whey?

namtrag
11-03-2008, 09:37 AM
That no one knows much about nutrition, including me.

We are all lucky we haven't died.

n1k0l1
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
fat people tell you how to diet and thin people tell you how to bulk...

namtrag
11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Not always true, the skinny people on here are always talking about how you can eat whatever you want and not get fat. They never had to live with being fat I guess.
lol

-Aaron-
11-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Not always true, the skinny people on here are always talking about how you can eat whatever you want and not get fat. They never had to live with being fat I guess.
lol

I was 353lbs and I preach that as well.

stlrick
11-03-2008, 10:21 AM
That Alan Aragon seems to know what he's talking about.

Also I now have a strong understanding of what a bro is and what broscience is....

other than that, since I'm not a BB looking to get absolutely shredded, I just need to be smart, workout hard and eat whole foods if I want to be healthy and look decently fit.

Yaxley
11-03-2008, 10:28 AM
That no one knows much about nutrition, including me.

We are all lucky we haven't died.

lmao! xD

rhizome
11-03-2008, 10:36 AM
That I should avoid learning things from this forum except that which is coming from a few select posters.

lth
11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Is that the stuff with Sci Whey?

yeah....you can do it with any form of protein powder though; I only opt to eat it if Im in a hurry. Either that or couple of hamburgers from a fast food joint.

blacksmith77
11-03-2008, 10:42 AM
That eating disorders and self worth are issues with boys and men just as much as with girls and women

dinger8
11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
x2 word up

imccarthy
11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
That eating disorders and self worth are issues with boys and men just as much as with girls and women

Wow... couldn't have put it better myself... it really is disturbing. Society as a whole assumes anorexia and other eating disorders are only a problem for teenage girls and models but man are they wrong. Unfortunately it usually means guys go a lot longer without anyone questioning it... people just don't expect it.

Reps BTW.

MarkVI
11-03-2008, 11:01 AM
#1 or best?

#1 is definitely that people love to overcomplicate and obsess over diet.

The best was learning the URL to Alan Aragon's website.

jackedrabbit
11-03-2008, 11:02 AM

First response gets it.

dn27
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Don't listen to people on the internet.

namtrag
11-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Wow... couldn't have put it better myself... it really is disturbing. Society as a whole assumes anorexia and other eating disorders are only a problem for teenage girls and models but man are they wrong. Unfortunately it usually means guys go a lot longer without anyone questioning it... people just don't expect it.

Reps BTW.

I could be that, all I see is a fat guy when I look in the mirror.

martina92685
11-03-2008, 11:42 AM

lol

Yeah...living with being fat is a while different ball of wax. And I hate hearing about people who eat and eat but just CAN'T gain weight. I don't feel sorry for you. I eat an oreo and my weight goes up 9 pounds.

Alright exaggeration, but still the fatty in me is afraid to eat without repercussions. And that is something that only certain people understand.

I was 353lbs and I preach that as well.

Whoa, I didn't know that.

And in response to the thread, I learned that a 100% clean diet is pretty much impossible. You can make a diet including the foods you love, and you can slip up. It's okay. Who the hell can live off green beans, whey, brown rice, and sweet potatoes? Not me.

daYDreAmErX
11-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I learned that most posters don't enjoy life at all.

cyde
11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
After seeing all the anal retentive diets and lack of results, I learned that I can eat whatever the hell I want (in moderation) and still look great.

jackedrabbit
11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
After seeing all the anal retentive diets and lack of results, I learned that I can eat whatever the hell I want (in moderation) and still look great.

True.

Being strict, making sacrifices and getting all OCD about weighing and measuring foods is one thing if you've got your principles down right, but if you have no concept of how much to eat to fit your goals you are just wasting your time.

It's funny how some people just miss the big picture/whole point completely, and think that somehow by eating "clean" 24/7 they will magically do better than those who god forbid have some burgers and pizza every now and then.

soundcheck129
11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
I learned that most posters don't enjoy life at all.

So true. I've learned to not take 99.9999% of posts here seriously.

reefpicker
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM
1) Used to be afraid of eating too much... Now I eat a lot, and have seen improvements in the gym.

2) Not to be afraid of eating EGGS.

3) That PB is a good thing.

4) To add protein powder to my muffins, pancakes, and oatmeal.

5) That oatbran is a good and tasty breakfast.

6) That EDs are real

7) That some people will go to great lengths to clean their bodies, including doing a colonic cleanse which means being in the bathroom all day (I guess)

8) That farting is part of bulking...

9) That some intelligent people choose really funny names for their usernames (i.e. Mr. Horse, where are you? :D)

10) That it is easy to make your own protein bars (but I still have to try it)

Some others that did not make the top 10 but could have: 1) That people come to the internet to ask questions they should ask their physicians... 2) That some of us need to get a life outside the gym and BB, 3) When it comes to dieting people are gullible. 4) That vegan is a girly thing and soy will make your bobbies pop out like balllons, well not really true but most people here seem to think that this is true :D

RandallH19891
11-03-2008, 02:16 PM
1) A lot of people are very misinformed and spew their BS at everybody, and then it spreads like wildfire.

Autino
11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
I learned that calories in/out only goes so far when cutting.. That carb restriction and hormone manipulation through diet help me skyrocket my fat loss results.

Phosphate bond
11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
#1 That the Glycemic index is a bust. Long term insulin receptor regulation has less to do with acute insulin secretion and more with overall energy balance. (Good example of this is fructose vs glucose).

Taking that a step further I don't think keto diets work by insulin reduction (but by various other mechanisms involved with energy handling). The improved energy balance results in decreased fasting insulin levels not the other way around.

#2 Structured dietary advice like the 2005+ food pyramid >>> "Macros" :)

#3 "Calories In/ Calories Out" and having 100% faith in the BMR calculator (with simple activity multiplier) does not take into consideration how certain foods can make someone lethargic (even if they are isoenergetic). Lethargic= less calories out relative to the energy content of the food.

daltrey
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
To take everything I read here with a grain of salt even though salt is bad for you.

SDC77
11-03-2008, 03:36 PM
#2 Structured dietary advice like the 2005+ food pyramid >>> "Macros" :)

I've seen you mention this before, interesting. What exactly is it about the 2005 era pyramid that you find valuable?

Sibrek
11-03-2008, 03:41 PM
I learned that calories in/out only goes so far when cutting.. That carb restriction and hormone manipulation through diet help me skyrocket my fat loss results.

S my D. ur wrong

SupaNatural
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Listening to your body and not your neuroses is underrated.

namtrag
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM
To take everything I read here with a grain of salt even though salt is bad for you.

I learned the opposite, that salt is actually good for you!

Phosphate bond
11-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I've seen you mention this before, interesting. What exactly is it about the 2005 era pyramid that you find valuable?

They increased vegetables from 3-5 servings per day to 7-9 servings per day.

I'm betting the reason for this is because vegetables have other advantages over grains that go beyond just fiber.

Which brings me to the 4th thing I've learned since being on this board:

Structured dietary guidelines >>> Clean vs Dirty. A diet can be 100% clean but still fail to meet dietary guidelines.

blacksmith77
11-03-2008, 04:21 PM
From this thread we can see that people are still learning a lot of BS

xl Achilles lx
11-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I learned that people love to make random accounts, use other people's comp pics as their own, talk sh*t to everyone on here which leads to a ban and then they do it all over again shortly there after.

Autino
11-03-2008, 05:07 PM
S my D. ur wrong
Really ?
I am wrong about how my body responds to different diets?
Really, you know more about what works for me than I do?

Wow..
Stong impressed!

Phosphate bond
11-03-2008, 05:22 PM
It's funny how some people just miss the big picture/whole point completely, and think that somehow by eating "clean" 24/7 they will magically do better than those who god forbid have some burgers and pizza every now and then.

Not to mention a 100% clean diet can still be a deficient diet.

That makes me wonder about all the people saying eating 6x times per day works so much better than 3x per day. Maybe this is because their diet only uses steel cut oats, brown rice and whole grains for carbs? (In fairness they will usually have like a token 1-2 servings of veggies listed in their diets too)

Sibrek
11-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Really ?
I am wrong about how my body responds to different diets?
Really, you know more about what works for me than I do?

Wow..
Stong impressed!
yea u are wrong. U mad?

Phosphate bond
11-03-2008, 05:31 PM
I learned that calories in/out only goes so far when cutting.

Well if a person is getting lethargic from a crappy diet I wouldn't expect their "calories out" to be much more than pitiful.

How much work a person is getting from their food/adipose matters just as much as the calories they take in.

You see this happen a lot with deficient fad yo-yo diets. The person uses sheer willpower to lose weight. Then it piles on again afterwards. What kind of long term solution is this?

lth
11-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I learned that people love to make random accounts, use other people's comp pics as their own, talk sh*t to everyone on here which leads to a ban and then they do it all over again shortly there after.

not to mention get owned badly by everyone they do start **** with

namtrag
11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I have learned how much smarter teenagers are than people who have lived through it all.

Just kidding BTW, I have sons in college.

reefpicker
11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Taking that a step further I don't think keto diets work by insulin reduction (but

I do not think the architects of the Atkins/Southbeach and all these other ketogenic diets had in mind that "insulin reduction" is the key to the inner workings of the diet. It is rather the forcing of gluconeogenesis from ketone bodies, the lack of an insulogenic response, combined with the glucagon's effect's on lipolysis, and glucose metabolism, that act to create the weight reduction and fat burning with muscle protein sparing observed in keto diets.

namtrag
11-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah, what he said!

What did he say?

Phosphate bond
11-03-2008, 06:28 PM
muscle protein sparing observed in keto diets.

Is this for certain? Because the few studies I looked at so far did not seem to indicate this was happening.

In fact, in one study originally posted by Alan Aragon a High unsaturated fat diet (with servings of fish) did better than a very low carb diet as far as lean body retention went.

Besides this I think muscle retention also has to do with the work able to done through the diet. Physical activity reduces proteolysis in muscle.

So how the effect is measured matters also.

Trouble with diet studies is that everything in the diet matters. You can't just look at macros and make generalizations (from my estimation). This is because nutritional requirements that also affect how the body works go beyond macros and fiber.

Phosphate bond
11-03-2008, 06:38 PM
I do not think the architects of the Atkins/Southbeach and all these other ketogenic diets had in mind that "insulin reduction" is the key to the inner workings of the diet.

Well maybe they did not but I often see reduced insulin secretion as a postulated mechanism.

What is more likely the cause of fasting hyperinsulinemia is reduced or impaired fat oxidation. Filling adipose to capacity makes it progressively harder for insulin to store fat thus requiring more insulin.

If fat oxidation is progressively reduced it makes sense to have hyperinsulinemia as the adaptation. (Insulin promotes the formation of TAG from free fatty acids and inhibits the release of FFA and glycerol from adipose). Why release it or make it available if it cannot be oxidized.

That being said it still appears hyperinsulinemic folks still have problems with elevated fasting free fatty acids. Which is a paradox when you consider they have plenty of fuel substrate in the bloodstream but still are very hungry?

Autino
11-30-2008, 04:34 PM
That many here would rather be right and arrogant than help other members learn the right way to do things.
That they care more about being a internet hardass that teaching others.

That some of the more knowledgeable members of this board are social dip****s that have nothing to offer but self-serving banter and criticism

and that -aaron- is a <unt

-Aaron-
11-30-2008, 04:36 PM
That many here would rather be right and arrogant than help other members learn the right way to do things.

That some of the more knowledgeable members of this board are social dip****s that have nothing to offer but self-serving banter and criticism

You're the one cracking on someone physique, not me...

lth
11-30-2008, 04:50 PM
You're the one cracking on someone physique, not me...

No, the douchebag was cracking on my 'yellow' teeth and accusing me of being on da juice

-Aaron-
11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
No, the douchebag was accusing me of being on da juice

Congratulations. :D

onimusha
11-30-2008, 05:25 PM
only take nutrition advice from the people you want to look like.

-Aaron-
11-30-2008, 05:26 PM

That's the worst advice I've heard...

DTrulez616
11-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Maybe we're social dip****s because the same questions are asked day in and day out.

LOL!

lth
11-30-2008, 05:28 PM
That if you have a good physique then your automatically assumed for taking steroids, not through hard work.

blacksmith77
11-30-2008, 05:28 PM
That's the worst advice I've heard...

x2 .

Paumen
11-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Bodybuilding.com is the worst place to come when cutting.

Beerguy
11-30-2008, 05:43 PM

I like this post.
I have learned that we all disagree most of the time. What the hell though! It is entertaining when I am done at the gym.

SDC77
11-30-2008, 06:06 PM
-That women are incorrectly pegged as more likely having an eating disorder over men.

-That myths and propaganda have a significant base here.

-That people tend to hang on every word of uneducated, no credential holding teenagers/college students and truly believe they are correct with their information.

-That people take life way too seriously and have their priorities in the strangest of orders.

-That most here use "clean bulking" as a reason to become lax on their diet and therefore getting fat, only to use "cutting for summer" as their excuse to get their fatasses in shape after falling off the wagon.

The_Club
11-30-2008, 07:12 PM
i love the keto section. many people willing to give advice (although it is a very slow-posting section...).

will be starting keto after i hit 170.

omego11
11-30-2008, 08:26 PM
carbs are bad

-Aaron-
11-30-2008, 08:28 PM
carbs are bad

Carbs are bad, fat is bad, now protein is bad...

Why should we eat anything anymore, oh wait... We have people that support this too.

Dr. Horse
11-30-2008, 08:30 PM
...that everyone here is an expert.

lth
11-30-2008, 08:33 PM
That aaron and mr. horse should be on each others friends list.

omego11
11-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Carbs are bad, fat is bad, now protein is bad...

Why should we eat anything anymore, oh wait... We have people that support this too.

true

Zody
11-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I learned some people think way too much.

^^ This.