PDA

View Full Version : beginner trying to make sense of all this need a little help

Victory30
11-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Well ive done alot of research trying to figure out how much protein, carbs and fats to take per day and ive got alot of mixed results. Im a male 30 years old 5'11, 235 pounds with 21% bodyfat. After putting this into the protein and carb calculators its said i should eat 353 grams of protein and carbs and 80 grams of fats per day. If my math is right thats 3544 calories a day. I think thats too much for a fat loss diet but i dont know. Perhaps these calculators are geared toward muscle gains? Could someone clarify this please and if someone has the same measurements as I or knows how much proteins carbs and fats to take per day it will be much appreciated thanks.
(If you could give me a ballpark figure in grams that would be great and yes I do know that everyone is different but there has to be an average somewhere. 3544 calories a day seems a little excessive but maybe im wrong?)

Passion4Pump
11-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Don't let online calculators tell you how much to eat, let them guide you into the ballpark and then let your body and your goals tell you how many cals to consume.

You're trying to lose weight? Why not take the number the calculator gave you, and subtract 500 since that's usually a good amount to start under caloric maintenance. This will be your trial daily caloric intake. You're going to want to get other opinions on this, but from what I have read on this forum (which is a lot...I need to start doing my work instead!), I would try and hit the range 0.8-1.2 grams protein/pound bodyweight. Then, the amount of carbs and fat the compose the remaining calories is going to be different for everyone. Try starting with 20% of your calories coming from fat, and fill the rest of the calories in with carbs. Weigh yourself before you start doing this, and a week after to gauge your progress. If you're losing weight too quickly, increase your calories a bit. If you're not losing weight, decrease your calories a bit. Ultimately you must listen to your body.

Don't take only my word for it though, try and get other opinions.