PDA

View Full Version : What are "Good Fats"?

Dr. Horse
11-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I have seen any and all fat sources referred to as "good fats": mono, poly, saturated, MCTs, olive, peanut, canola, nuts, butter, beef fat, milkfat, fish.

So, other than trans fats, is there any fat that BB.com doesn't consider a "good" or "healthy fat"? And if not, why even bother with the designation?

MarkVI
11-02-2008, 11:01 PM
I have seen any and all fat sources referred to as "good fats": mono, poly, saturated, MCTs, olive, peanut, canola, nuts, butter, beef fat, milkfat, fish.

So, other than trans fats, is there any fat that BB.com doesn't consider a "good" or "healthy fat"? And if not, why even bother with the designation?

All fat is bad bro -- getz u fat.

Every fat has its place.

otrebmu
11-02-2008, 11:05 PM
toooo much saturated is bad but it's exaggerated how bad it is. any transfat is bad. any at all.

mark2dx
11-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I've never put saturated fats in the "good" category; whenever someone refers to good fats, I always assume they mean anything non-saturated. If I recall correctly, trans fats were actually derived from saturated fats.

I could be misinformed though :D.

Dr. Horse
11-02-2008, 11:10 PM
trans fats were actually derived from saturated fats..

Actually, they are unsaturated fats- by definition.

mark2dx
11-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Actually, they are unsaturated fats- by definition.

Been a while since I looked into the differences between the types of fats, but this thread has me curious now. Getting learned up as we speak :).

ZDub212
11-02-2008, 11:15 PM
What are Good Bros?

Why do they get that designation?

Anyway...It's all broscience saying trying to pinpoint the healthiest fats which are rich in omega 3's...and then PB is recommended which doesn't have much omega 3 it all.

It's all a load of crap.

MarkVI
11-02-2008, 11:20 PM
toooo much saturated is bad but it's exaggerated how bad it is. any transfat is bad. any at all.

"toooo much" anything is bad by definition.

otrebmu
11-02-2008, 11:22 PM
i'm going by some study that showed a diet with increased transfat or polyunsaturated lead to lower t-levels while monounsaturated and saturated fats increased T-levels.

lth
11-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I drink olive oil out of the bottle; nuff said bitchez!

otrebmu
11-02-2008, 11:35 PM
i mix olive oil with my protein powder, yes serious

ZDub212
11-02-2008, 11:42 PM

My girl did that for a while. WPI + Heavy Cream + Olive Oil + Blueberries. Yuck, but whatever works.

otrebmu
11-03-2008, 12:02 AM
actually, unflavored "true protein" protein + water + olive oil

om nom nom

Dr. Horse
11-03-2008, 12:15 AM
So, no answer then?

ZDub212
11-03-2008, 12:19 AM
So, no answer then?

Broscience.

Josh81
11-03-2008, 12:43 AM

wow im imagining that right now

...that must taste like straight up ****

supra_gainer
11-03-2008, 12:50 AM
So, no answer then?

Nope, but would love to hear your take on it :)

BuckSpin
11-03-2008, 03:17 AM
All fat is bad bro -- getz u fat. Every fat has its place.

Would like to hear how good TFAs derived from hydrogenated fats are for you...

Bioteknik
11-03-2008, 08:22 AM
"toooo much" anything is bad by definition.

kind like that thread.. differences between clean and dirty foods..

Dr. Horse
11-03-2008, 08:25 AM
kind like that thread.. differences between clean and dirty foods..

Oh, you mean this one?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110846041

Bioteknik
11-03-2008, 08:32 AM
so resident health expert.. does it relate to this topic or not?

Sleepstream
11-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Are there "good" and "bad" proteins?

bp16
11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Naturally occuring fats

MarkVI
11-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Would like to hear how good TFAs derived from hydrogenated fats are for you...

So would I beause IMO they're not remotely healthy for you and should be eaten only under dire circumstances.

SoyaWarrior
11-03-2008, 10:09 AM

some have a higher BV than others.

Sleepstream
11-03-2008, 10:12 AM
some have a higher BV than others.

But that's not indicative of it being "good" or "bad".

bp16
11-03-2008, 10:15 AM

The truth is nobody really knows for sure. I don't think there are but the China Study thinks there is.

imccarthy
11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Any fats other than trans fats are healthy in appropriate amounts. Trans fats should be completely avoided in my opinion (other than the miniscule quantities of naturally-occurring trans fats in diary products).

94Sip
11-03-2008, 11:54 AM
The only "bad" fat that has been theorized is trans fats, even though they occur in trace amounts in most animal fats. The recommendation is to minimize intake due to deleterious effects such as arterial plaque, and "unfavorable" balances in HDL/LDL.

As for saturated and poly/monounsaturated the best summation I can give is:

"Neither an Adequate Intake (AI) nor Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) is set for total fat because there are insufficient data to determine a defined level of fat intake at which risk of inadequacy or prevention of chronic disease occurs. An Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range (AMDR), however, has been estimated for total fat—it is 20 to 35 percent of energy (see Chapter 11). A Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) is not set for total fat because there is no defined intake level of fat at which an adverse effect occurs."

From: Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients) (2005)
Food and Nutrition Board (FNB)

which you can skim here: http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=422

Now, for those who are in the look good naked crowd, there is probably much to be debated, as you (Mr. Horse) have done so eloquently in other threads, by manipulating macro ratios based on goals and taking into account the energy density of those macros, i.e "a calorie is not a calorie".

lth
11-03-2008, 11:59 AM
good fats....hmmm, if im drinking then the big'n setting at the bar with her bag of tortitos would qualify, hehe. Sober---a fat is a fat...im partial to pb though :)

blacksmith77
11-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Hypothetical Situation:
If it was the day before a competition and I was on a moderate carb/moderate fat, high protein diet. I would pick the olive oil over the butter. And I dont know why, but instinct tells me its the right thing to do

crazymutha
11-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Hypothetical Situation:
If it was the day before a competition and I was on a moderate carb/moderate fat, high protein diet. I would pick the olive oil over the butter. And I dont know why, but instinct tells me its the right thing to do

The meticulous seem to acheive the best results all around; even though there may be no truth behind some behaviors/choices, consistency in quality prevails.

Dr. Horse
11-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Absolutely, there are bad proteins.

Sleepstream
11-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Bad dietary proteins?

lth
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM

giggidy giggidy gee gee

Dr. Horse
11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Bad dietary proteins?

Yep. Eating some proteins can kill you.

Sleepstream
11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Yep. Eating some proteins can kill you.

Prions?

Dr. Horse
11-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Prions?

You got it. Be careful when you eat brains.

Plenty of other toxins are peptides as well.

CookBrah
11-03-2008, 06:11 PM
good fats are those that lower LDL levels and keep HDL stabilized. ?

also, good fats assist in the release of bile..?

Dr. Horse
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
good fats are those that lower LDL levels and keep HDL stabilized. ?

Not according to the posters on this board.

CookBrah
11-03-2008, 06:15 PM
yea, most of the posters in this subforum are retards...with the exception of a few of course

otrebmu
11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
yea, most of the posters in this subforum are retards...with the exception of a few of course

well thanks for your contribution to the thread

CookBrah
11-03-2008, 06:19 PM
"Now, a Penn State study provides evidence that the optimum dietary fat isn't one that contains either more PUFAs or more MUFAs, but one that contains a proper balance of both to control cardiovascular risk factors.

In the Penn State study, detailed in the current issue of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, two heart healthy oils, a new PUFA-rich sunflower oil (NuSun) and the more MUFA-rich olive oil, were compared in a diet designed to lower blood cholesterol levels. "

The key, as to everything in life is balance. Too much of anything can have negative side effects. But you won't die tomorrow if you put a little butter on your toast or steak

blacksmith77
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
The key, as to everything is life is balance. Too much of anything can have negative side effects. But you won't die tomorrow if you put a little butter on your toast or steak

well now dicksmothers is a genius

CookBrah
11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
well now dicksmothers is a genius

im also a skinny mother ****er :D

blacksmith77
11-03-2008, 06:21 PM
im also a skinny mother ****er :D

i dont doubt it

namtrag
11-03-2008, 06:23 PM
since you asked

Anthropological and epidemiological studies and studies at the molecular level indicate that human beings evolved on a diet with a ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFA) of approximately 1 whereas in Western diets the ratio is 15/1 to 16.7/1. A high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promotes the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, osteoporosis, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) (a lower omega-6/omega-3 ratio), exert suppressive effects. Increased dietary intake of linoleic acid (LA) leads to oxidation of low-density lipoprotein (LDL), platelet aggregation, and interferes with the incorporation of EFA in cell membrane phospholipids. Both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids influence gene expression. Omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory effects, suppress interleukin 1beta (IL-1beta), tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNFalpha) and interleukin-6 (IL-6), whereas omega-6 fatty acids do not. Because inflammation is at the base of many chronic diseases, dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids plays an important role in the manifestation of disease, particularly in persons with genetic variation, as for example in individuals with genetic variants at the 5-lipoxygenase (5-LO). Carotid intima media thickness (IMT) taken as a marker of the atherosclerotic burden is significantly increased, by 80%, in the variant group compared to carriers with the common allele, suggesting increased 5-LO promoter activity associated with the (variant) allele. Dietary arachidonic acid (AA) and LA increase the risk for cardiovascular disease in those with the variants, whereas dietary intake of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) decrease the risk. A lower ratio of omega-6/omega-3 fatty acids is needed for the prevention and management of chronic diseases. Because of genetic variation, the optimal omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid ratio would vary with the disease under consideration.

mygame11
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=3yMxTYKMgmEC&dq=the+difference+between+fats&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=gIslP7DZdA&sig=Vv-GTLpSMtTXSZjQPnCfOGtEHkA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPP5,M1

Well, a while back I did a lot of research of fats, good ones (if there were any) and bad ones, which I knew existed. Everything that I read was coinciding with the next site and doctor and fact vs myth.

Here is a pretty good book on fats, it is a very interesting read!

Tans fats are bad....period...you should shoot for 0 daily!
Saturated are not that good, and you should limit your body to 10 grams per day.
Mono are good
Polyunsaturated are good

The 2 latter fats are found in many foods such as olive oil (probably being the best source and healthiest) They do many things, they help lower cholesterol (which, again, if you consume too much one can INCREASE bad cholesterol) There have been many health benefits aside from the one I noted associated with these fats.

As was said before, too much of anything can be bad.