PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting started.

jk73sb
11-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I am new to bodybuilding in general. I started working out due to receiving some scary news from my doctor about my sedentary lifestyle I was living. I started working out last November in my local YMCA with a friend and have lost some weight (15lbs) along with body fat (from 23% to 20%). I have purchased a few books on diets but I feel lost by what I am ready as again I am new to all of this. I am interested in obtaining a diet plan to reduce by body fat to 10% while continue to gain lean muscle mass. I usually eat a half cup of oatmeal along with 3 eggs for breakfast. my early morning snack is usually 1 cup of non fat plain yogurt, lunch tuna fish sandwich, preworkout meal a banana and 1 scoop of whey protein, post workout creatine and one scoop of whey protein, chicken or fish with dinner along with sweet potatoes or some other complex carbs, and nighttime snack is a cup of 1% cottage cheese with flax seeds on top. I take a multi vitamin along with green tea extract in the mornings. I am frustrated and feel stuck as it seems to be taking a long time to loose weight. I believe I am getting 200g of protein a day to aid in burning fat but I wonder if my metabolism is stalled. Any Ideas?

jk73sb
11-16-2008, 07:32 PM
anyone?

jk73sb
11-30-2008, 02:10 PM
anyone have any ideas?

Brofessor
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Start doing some reading at other posts, there are new comers all day every day asking similar questions. Find out what your maintenance calories are, and start eating 500 less than that each day. Sign up on a site like www.fitday.com to make it easier to keep track of what you're eating. Eating lots of protein won't make you lose weight faster than getting your calories from carbs or fats. The only thing that will make you lose weight is eating less than your maintenance calories.

Charles_E
11-30-2008, 03:48 PM
What does your workout consist of? Are you just lifting or are you doing cardio as well? Don't get discouraged bro, congrats on what you've acheaved so far!!

infiltratecky
11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
How much carido do you do?? When i was cutting i ran 45-60mins aday after work outs

onimusha
11-30-2008, 05:40 PM
your diet sounds pretty decent, but I am unsure how it adds up to 200 grams of protein a day unless their are other supplements being added. Also are you getting enough calories for you size? Sometimes going too low can stall your weight loss due to your body hitting starvation mode. When I was losing weight here is what I ate daily...

meal 1 - 4 egg whites, 1 yolk, 2 cups of oatmeal

mixed with 2 scoops protien powder

meal 2 - 1 cup plain yogurt mixed with 12 almonds

and 2 scoops protien powder

meal 3 - 1 chicken breast in a medium salad and 2

fruits

meal 4 - 1/2 cup of oatmeal and artificial sweetner

meal 5 - 1 protien shake

meal 6 - 2 chicken breasts mixed with 2 cups cooked

veggies and half a sweet potato.

jk73sb
12-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I am currently working out 5 days a week for 1hr and 30mins. cardio daily after my workout. The weighttraining program I am working on is to help me create the v look. I am doing alot of unilateral exercises, supersets with other exercises. reps are between 15 to 20 for 4 sets per exercise.

jk73sb
12-05-2008, 06:56 PM
you guys make a good point. I am going to try and do cardio for 45mins a day if I can and try to increase my protein intake. I have been using the website fitday.com to track my progress along with nutrition.

noethix
12-05-2008, 07:02 PM
you guys make a good point. I am going to try and do cardio for 45mins a day if I can and try to increase my protein intake. I have been using the website fitday.com to track my progress along with nutrition.

You should by now have an idea what your maintenance calories are. Eat below that and lose weight. Pretty simple. Just make sure youre intaking sufficient protein to maintain lean tissue and you should be good to go.

Cardio will add to your deficit but youd be making much more progress if you had an idea of what you were taking in.

jk73sb
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
makes sense to me. Do you think you need to be very restrictive in diet to meet my goals?

jk73sb
01-26-2009, 07:13 PM
any other thoughts