PDA

View Full Version : Working 12 hour shifts. What to pack in my lunch box?

gboue
11-02-2008, 06:21 PM
So im starting my new job and i need to be able to sustain my diet throughout the day. 12 hour shift, what do i need in there?

keepin in mind that i usually work out after 5 days a week and im trying to lose weight

lorinelise
11-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Jerky, sandwiches, nuts, vegetables, fruit, tuna, etc.

Olympique
11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
This is sort of what I always keep at/take to the office

Peanut butter jar
Almond can
Chicken soup
Tons of tuna cans/pouches
Mayonnaise
Bread (and Pita bread if you have a toaster)
Powdered milk
Oats
Fruits
Vegetable mixes (the ones that come in bags)

xspasmx
11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
I put some protien powder in the bottom of a shaker and then wait to add the water untill it is time to eat it.
I also bring nuts and prunes and fruit and bell pepers are good raw and easy to pack.

xeriktx
11-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Bump. I am in the same situation. I do have access to a microwave and a fridge. Let me know what you guys think. I already have packaged tuna, precooked chicken breast, natty pb and j sammies, 1 minute brown rice, string cheese, protein bars, and rice cakes. Any other suggestions?

gethoogin08
11-02-2008, 08:03 PM
jimmy dean's breaksast D-lites are pretty good microwaveable breakfast sandwhiches. egg whites, turkey sausage, lo fat cheese on a whole wheat english muffin.

IrockZ
11-02-2008, 08:08 PM
hungry man tv dinners.. great sh*t

gethoogin08
11-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Jerky, sandwiches, nuts, vegetables, fruit, tuna, etc.

Good list. I often work long shifts, and one thing I've started doing is bringing a shake with four scoops mixed in milk, packed in an insulated lunch bag with a bunch of cold packs. Put enough cold packs in with it and it will stay chilled all day, I promise.

Do you have access to a fridge?

mongochuy
11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
pb sanwiches, almonds, fruit, cook enough chicken fish etc for your work shift, proteing in a baggie, maybe some boiled eggs.

Paumen
11-02-2008, 09:34 PM
If I was you I would pack

whole wheat tortillas with lean beef in them with cheese

low sugar detour bars

protein powder in a shaker with no fluid in it, just add at work shake and drink

eziakial bread with natty pb

maybe a thing of milk

and If you fancy maybe some sugar free cookies or regular if your a freak. -cheers

DeathByBacker
11-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Protein bars are a great way to get through a spell of hunger. However, they get expensive. So what you can do is make your own. I'm sure there's tons of recipes on here for protein/nutrition bars, if not just google it.

And like others mentioned, protein powder in a shaker is good. Just add milk/water whenever you want it.

Jerky is good, and fun to chew on for a while... as weird as that sounds.

dawnoffatex
11-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Bags of no need to drain tuna are pro in a cinch. They've saved me many times.

baby matty
11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Protein bars are a great way to get through a spell of hunger. However, they get expensive. So what you can do is make your own. I'm sure there's tons of recipes on here for protein/nutrition bars, if not just google it.

And like others mentioned, protein powder in a shaker is good. Just add milk/water whenever you want it.

Jerky is good, and fun to chew on for a while... as weird as that sounds.

From Alton Brown's "Good Eats":

4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 cup

2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 1/2 cup

2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1/2 cup

3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/4 cup

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

3 ounces raisins, approximately 1/2 cup

2 1/2 ounces dried cherries, approximately 1/2 cup

3 ounces dried blueberries, approximately 1/2 cup

2 1/2 ounces dried apricots, approximately 1/2 cup

1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu

1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice

4 ounces dark brown sugar, approximately 1/2 cup packed

2 large whole eggs, beaten

2/3 cup natural peanut butter

Canola oil, for pan

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, and salt. Set aside.

Coarsely chop the raisins, dried cherries, blueberries and apricots and place in a small bowl and set aside.

In a third mixing bowl, whisk the tofu until smooth. Add the apple juice, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and whisk to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

I've made this recipe before, though I omitted the brown sugar in place of splenda. Also used ON Any Whey instead of soy. They were pretty good. They'd probably be a bit chewier with the real brown sugar.

DeathByBacker
11-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the recipe, I was actually searching for some good ones, but that one seems very good. Lots of fruit and good stuff in there. Thanks.

baby matty
11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the recipe, I was actually searching for some good ones, but that one seems very good. Lots of fruit and good stuff in there. Thanks.

No worries bro. I also intend to make this recipe soon by using chocolate whey, and replacing a bit of the whole wheat flour with cocoa powder, and adding a few chocolate chips (def not going overboard, though).

Oh and I'm leaving out the raisins next time. Maybe replacing them with craisins. Maybe adding some slivered almonds or pistachios. Really it's a very flexible recipe.

DeathByBacker
11-02-2008, 10:20 PM
No worries bro. I also intend to make this recipe soon by using chocolate whey, and replacing a bit of the whole wheat flour with cocoa powder, and adding a few chocolate chips (def not going overboard, though).

Oh and I'm leaving out the raisins next time. Maybe replacing them with craisins. Maybe adding some slivered almonds or pistachios. Really it's a very flexible recipe.
Yeah that sounds wicked. Homemade bars are really flexible, so anyone can make exactly what they like. I had one recipe for ones you didnt need to bake, I'll try to find it.

Olympique
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM
maybe some sugar free cookies or regular if your a freak.I lol'd