PDA

View Full Version : How to bulk correctly?

DeeTek08
11-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm wondering how to bulk, I've been on the same weight for the past couple of months and I can't seem to gain any weight, but I guess I have no problem losing it. I'm stuck at 140-145lbs and doing what I can to gain weight.

I don't know if I should do a split routine, or stick with rippetoes, I'm just wondering which program would add mass.

Okay now onto the diet, I have tried my hardest to get up to 200g of protein but I am finding it hard, I normally stick with 3 chicken breast, one for breakfast lunch and dinner. And then just have random foods in between.
Some days I do reach my protein goal but I am always falling short on my calories, I've counted it and they mostly come up to 1500-2000 not enough for me to even gain any weight.

What are foods that are good but high in calories, if that exists?
Im gonna set aside some money and buy a couple of gallons of milk and try to drink a gallon everyday for a month and see if that adds any gains to me at all. I've heard thats a great way to bulk.

What are your meals that you eat with a calorie count and protein count?

mongochuy
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek97.htm

saw this on another post

IronBrendan
11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
PLEASE don't do the gallon of milk a day thing. That's the lazy man's way to "bulk" and I guarantee you'll be accepting MUCH more fat gain than necessary.

Rippetoe's will work well for you if you're a beginner. If that's the case don't even think about split routines for a while.

Eat these:
1. Red Meat
2. Whole Eggs
3. Olive Oil <--- this will be your best friend
4. Waxy Mazine Starch (use it PWO alone)
5. Peanut Butter

Get some protein powder to supplement your protein intake. Use it between meals?

I hope you're not eating JUST a chicken breast for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

deserusan
11-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Figure out your caloric baseline based on your bodytype (somatotype), and add calories in increments of 300-500 calories. Your macronutrient split should be based on your bodytype and not your buddies, etc. Personally, a 1:1 protein to carbs ratio works great and I don't worry about fats because my foods are clean and contain great sources (nuts, whole eggs, fish, natural peanut butter). I start my bulking cycle at around 3400 carbs and taper up.

DeeTek08
11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
PLEASE don't do the gallon of milk a day thing. That's the lazy man's way to "bulk" and I guarantee you'll be accepting MUCH more fat gain than necessary.

Rippetoe's will work well for you if you're a beginner. If that's the case don't even think about split routines for a while.

Eat these:
1. Red Meat
2. Whole Eggs
3. Olive Oil <--- this will be your best friend
4. Waxy Mazine Starch (use it PWO alone)
5. Peanut Butter

Get some protein powder to supplement your protein intake. Use it between meals?

I hope you're not eating JUST a chicken breast for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Even if it is 2% milk? I just keep hearing how great squats and milk are and I see that a gallon is about 2600 calories or so. Then top that with regular food and I should be able to gain some weight, but yeah, I see what you mean about fat gain. What about half a gallon? its about 1300 cals, and would stretch my money a bit.

Yeah I ran out of powder so I have just been trying to get it all in food. No, not just a chicken breast, but thats what I mostly have for those 3 meals, and then have some other foods with it, like rice and pasta.

Figure out your caloric baseline based on your bodytype (somatotype), and add calories in increments of 300-500 calories. Your macronutrient split should be based on your bodytype and not your buddies, etc. Personally, a 1:1 protein to carbs ratio works great and I don't worry about fats because my foods are clean and contain great sources (nuts, whole eggs, fish, natural peanut butter). I start my bulking cycle at around 3400 carbs and taper up.

I would say I'm skinny but I add fat the most fat to my stomach. I'm sure my calories to gain should be around 3000+ but I am having a hard time getting that many calories and getting enough protein.