PDA

View Full Version : Are these homemade burgers bad for you?

initialize
11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
For the last 4 days I've been making hamburgers for dinner because they taste awesome. They're not too bad are they?

My Double cheeseburger:

2 4oz beef patties (95% lean)
1 whole wheat hamburger bun
lettuce, tomatoes, mustard

The only "bad" thing I put on is 2 Kraft cheddar slices.

TheNamesChuck
11-01-2008, 07:27 PM
How the **** do you think shaping the meat into a patty shape makes it bad for you?

longsnapper50
11-01-2008, 07:30 PM
looks fine to me.

determined4000
11-01-2008, 07:39 PM
Just because it is ground meat doesn't mean its unhelathy. 95% lean is leaner than just about any meat you can find ground or otherwise. Then your putting it on whole wheat w/ veggies. Sounds pretty unhealthy to me. Only thing that might be worse for you is an apple or celery stick.

Anticrombie315
11-01-2008, 08:00 PM
For the last 4 days I've been making hamburgers for dinner because they taste awesome. They're not too bad are they?

My Double cheeseburger:

I think the "fast food is unhealthy" kick has messed with your head. Hamburger does not equate to unhealthy necessarily.

designer12
11-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Looks fine to me. Why do you think they are bad for you?

gethoogin08
11-01-2008, 08:24 PM
they make 2% milk cheddar slices, you know. not bad, either. one slice = 4g protein, 3g fat.

determined4000
11-01-2008, 08:30 PM
they make 2% milk cheddar slices, you know. not bad, either. one slice = 4g protein, 3g fat.

They also make fat free and lactose free slices if you can't do dairy or already have a real high fat intake. Keep te cheese. Good source of calcium and protein (higher % protein the less fat). I find te 2% and fat free taste just fine, espceially melted bu te lactose one as a different flaovor.

mygame11
11-01-2008, 08:31 PM
nothing wrong with it IMO....seems like a good source of protein and lean fat, with calcium and veggies to boot! Making something homemade like this is NOT like what you get at the fast food places....it is quite a different ballpark! ;) eat away!

VEGADAV
07-07-2013, 10:05 AM

My Double cheeseburger:

I am no expert but I like burgers as well, home made burgers are not the same as fast food. You are not packing the beef with excessive amounts of sodium or other preservatives. The only thing that you might want to keep an eye on is the fat on the cheese.

mynameisuntz
07-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I am no expert but I like burgers as well, home made burgers are not the same as fast food. You are not packing the beef with excessive amounts of sodium or other preservatives. The only thing that you might want to keep an eye on is the fat on the cheese.

Good post. OP should be back from his five year hiatus any day now to see your contribution!

cumminslifter
07-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Good post. OP should be back from his five year hiatus any day now to see your contribution!im sure he has been waiting for his approval lol

strong search for "are homemade hamburgers bad for you" VEGADAV

BookMonkey
07-07-2013, 12:20 PM
You do realize burgers existed before "fast food" got a hold of it, right? Just because a fast food place sells something doesn't mean that everywhere that item exists is also as bad. McDonald's sells apple slices, does that make you question cutting up your own apple?

Edit: Oh damn...old thread. I fell for it again...

Iain1974
07-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Looks good. Isn't 95% kind of dry though? I make mine 10-12oz and they can break apart if I'm not careful on the grill. An egg helps.
Make my own ketchup too.

Not everyday food but there are plenty of worse things you can eat.