PDA

View Full Version : How do they make sugarfree pastries?

immax01
11-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Im not a big fan of cakes and pastries, if my sweet tooth has a craving, it might be for a bar of chocolate but still just wondering, how do they make sugar free desserts? For example we had a Halloween party and someone brought sugarfree apple pie, i tried it, expecting it to taste like crap but it tasted sweet as anything... Whats the catch with sugarfree stuff? Thanks.

NICK91
11-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Usually if you buy a sugar free product somewhere on it it will say sweetened with Splenda (artificial sweetener). So most sugar free foods use artificial sweeteners as sugar substitutes.

MarkVI
11-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Im not a big fan of cakes and pastries, if my sweet tooth has a craving, it might be for a bar of chocolate but still just wondering, how do they make sugar free desserts? For example we had a Halloween party and someone brought sugarfree apple pie, i tried it, expecting it to taste like crap but it tasted sweet as anything... Whats the catch with sugarfree stuff? Thanks.

They use Sugar alchohols that make your intestines implode and your colon explode....sooo....worth the risk?

TheNamesChuck
11-01-2008, 07:23 PM
This is what's in a normal pastry:
http://science9.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/sucrose.jpg

This is what's in a sugar-free pastry:
http://www.3dchem.com/imagesofmolecules/aspartame.jpg

They both have their downsides. The former spikes your insulin and makes you fat overnight, while the latter gives you cancer and causes any offspring you may bring into the world to be mutant ninja turtles.

immax01
11-01-2008, 07:25 PM
The former spikes your insulin and makes you fat overnight, while the latter gives you cancer and causes any offspring you may bring into the world to be mutant ninja turtles.

hmmm decisions decisions....

designer12
11-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Cancer makes you lose weight fast as ****.

I'd just stick with the sugar. A pastry here and there won't kill you.

dinger8
11-01-2008, 09:37 PM
use only SPLENDA brands, no affect on blood sugar

nspeed22
11-02-2008, 03:52 AM
causes any offspring you may bring into the world to be mutant ninja turtles.

YESS!!! ASPARTAME HERE I COME!!!