PDA

View Full Version : NUTRITION on REST DAYS

nutritionfreak1
10-31-2008, 08:50 AM
do you guys change up your nutrition, cal, carb intake on your rest days? My split is only about 3 intense lift days (chest, back, legs, sh) and then like one lighter day for abs in calves in which i dont give myself a carb pro shake after words cause i think that the muscles are too small to really make me that much more carb sensitive then normal....

Obviously you might want to take in less if your arent lifting that day..or maybe not. I was thinking that the fact that i wouldnt be having a pre/post WO shake would be enough to be decresing my cals/ carbs by on rest days..

Maybe id just replace my shake w like a light snack or something lower in cals... Opinions?

Neopragmatist
10-31-2008, 09:04 AM
Recovery and repair happens beyond the days you train. Your non-training day's diet should be as equal.

snorkelman
10-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Recovery and repair happens beyond the days you train. Your non-training day's diet should be as equal.

I agree with the exception being that on your lift days you can afford a bit more calories (and especially simple carbs) immediately post workout. if you don't workout, then you'd be better off to not eat the same stuff on the off days when you normally would have eaten maybe a bigger post workout meal or extra carbs.

BBDF
10-31-2008, 10:38 AM
I ussally eat the same, the only difference is I dont have my post WO shake which is like 300-350cals.

NPC-Ohio
10-31-2008, 10:40 AM

Strongly disagree. You eat for what you are doing that day....You can't expect to eat the same on a day of rest as you would on a day when you train balls out. Think about it rationally, makes no sense.

nutritionfreak1
10-31-2008, 10:49 AM
the only way i could see it making sense would be the idea that your body is still reparing your muscles on the rest days, so its not like your completely sedentary for the whole day...your burning more cals than you think bc of the reparing process....But i kind of agree w you, it would make sense to eat a little less cals than you would on training days bc even if your body is reparing itself, your still not burning as much cals as you are on a tough LB day or something like that

NPC-Ohio
10-31-2008, 10:52 AM
the only way i could see it making sense would be the idea that your body is still reparing your muscles on the rest days, so its not like your completely sedentary for the whole day...your burning more cals than you think bc of the reparing process....But i kind of agree w you, it would make sense to eat a little less cals than you would on training days bc even if your body is reparing itself, your still not burning as much cals as you are on a tough LB day or something like that

trust me, I've been in this game for years and have found what WORKS FOR ME is to cut way back on cals on my rest days. To be honest, after a tough workout your body is repairing for up to 48 hours, but you still need to realize the cals can't be justified.

If you aren't concerned with fat gain, than go for it......me, I enjoy relaxing and not worrying as much about cals.