PDA

View Full Version : Intangibles matter in football more than any other sport

KingCanuck
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Thats why we see weekly upsets in College and the NFL. Thats why the NFL is the hardest league to cap..

Thats why the Cowboys won't be winning a title anytime soon, too many people are worried about their own ****... T.O. wants his catches, Philips is worrying about losing his job, Pacman is in rehab, Romo is thinking about ****ing Jessica Simpson, etc...

Negatron617
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
the Cowboys are the Yankees
think simply having big expensive names will get you rings

KennyK
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
what intangibles?

SweetTouch
10-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Football or hockey, yeah, probably.

Eh, f**k it, I don't even know what this post is all about.

Clide Whit
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
I remember during the offseason Raiders fans going on about how their defense on paper would be one of the best defenses of the decade..... I wonder how that turned out, lol.

cthebeast
10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Thats why we see weekly upsets in College and the NFL. Thats why the NFL is the hardest league to cap..

Thats why the Cowboys won't be winning a title anytime soon, too many people are worried about their own ****... T.O. wants his catches, Philips is worrying about losing his job, Pacman is in rehab, Romo is thinking about ****ing Jessica Simpson, etc...
I disagree.. I think the cowboys hve been very successful these last few seasons. Jerry Jones acts like he wants to win a SB but really all this comes secondary to having the most probowlers than any other team. To him (and the cowboy fans) having 11 probowlers means that this team is THRIVING and jersey sales are high as hell. Getting Pac man, TO, R. Williams (WR), & others is all a about to boost sales not wining games. Keep this in mind next time you watch a cowboys game

KingCanuck
10-20-2008, 02:58 PM
what intangibles?
Things like liking your teamates, playing for your coach, etc...

I remember during the offseason Raiders fans going on about how their defense on paper would be one of the best defenses of the decade..... I wonder how that turned out, lol.

Raiders and Yankees are great examples of this too.

Johnny Rotten
10-20-2008, 03:34 PM
It sounds more like you're talking about off-field distractions. In sports "intangibles" are usually used to describe talent.

KingCanuck
10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
It sounds more like you're talking about off-field distractions. In sports "intangibles" are usually used to describe talent.

Talent = tangibles

things you cant put a price on = intangibles

Johnny Rotten
10-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Talent = tangibles

things you cant put a price on = intangibles

Tangible means something that is physical and can be touched. Talent is not tangible.

coast2coast
10-20-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't know, basketball is up there too. See Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

KingCanuck
10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Tangible means something that is physical and can be touched. Talent is not tangible.

Intangibles in sports are the reasons why Gretzky and Jordan were the best.. Neither were the fastest, strongest, best shooters, biggest... but they had the intangibles that others didnt have.

cthebeast

LOL u idiot

intangibles = leadership, intensity, smarts

tangibles = talent

KingCanuck
LOL u idiot

tangibles = talent

x22

Johnny Rotten
10-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Intangibles in sports are the reasons why Gretzky and Jordan were the best.. Neither were the fastest, strongest, best shooters, biggest... but they had the intangibles that others didnt have.
Exactly. Talent is an intangible quality.

LOL u idiot

tangibles = talent
Read a book now and then brah...Preferably a dictionary.

Leadership, intensity, smarts and talent are all intangible.

cthebeast
10-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Exactly. Talent is an intangible quality.

Read a book now and then brah...Preferably a dictionary.

Leadership, intensity, smarts and talent are all intangible.

One example of a talented team with no intangibles is the chargers

No doubt they have talented players we can ALL agree on that, but they have no leadership is why there losing every week.

Talent can't be achieved threw years of playing and training?

You can't take a class on how to be a leader or how to be intense.

whatever maybe ur right but i think most people consider talent as being a tangible thing

Johnny Rotten
10-20-2008, 03:58 PM
One example of a talented team with no intangibles is the chargers

No doubt they have talented players we can ALL agree on that, but they have no leadership is why there losing every week.

Talent can't be achieved threw years of playing and training?

You can't take a class on how to be a leader or how to be intense.

whatever maybe ur right but i think most people consider talent as being a tangible thing

Sure, and everything that we are pointing out are intangible qualities. I just thought that the OP was more about off the field distractions which has an effect on the teams chemistry rather than a comparison of the importance of intangibles in regard to different sports.

Myosin10
10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Cowboys have too many big stars playing for themselves. They need a coach like bilicheck to put them in check and make them realize the team comes first! Head coaches really do make a good team because they are the center piece and they keep their team moving ahead and not allowing them to get caught up with the distractions. Look at STL, all of a sudden with a new head coach they are on fire! You need that leadership and guidance.