PDA

View Full Version : Are Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwhiches good source of protein???

gboue
10-07-2008, 03:01 PM
So this trainer recommended that i eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches for my snacks because they provide alot of protein

is he right? i read on a forum post that peanut butter and jelly is actually horrible.

im trying to cut while increasing lean masss
and i eat 6-8 meals a day including 2 PJS a day

CharliC
10-07-2008, 03:11 PM
PB is primarily a fat source and jelly and bread are primarily carbs sources, so it's not great for a protein hit, though a perfetly acceptable snack in moderation. For protein, you'd be better off snacking on shakes, CC, meat etc.

gboue
10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
PB is primarily a fat source and jelly and bread are primarily carbs sources, so it's not great for a protein hit, though a perfetly acceptable snack in moderation. For protein, you'd be better off snacking on shakes, CC, meat etc.
what are good snacks ON THe go!? like bc im a studnet and i always on the go

Ryan314
10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Add a protein shake to your pb and j sandwiches and then you'll have a complete snack.

CharliC
10-07-2008, 03:37 PM

For protein- tuna packs, a meat and salad sandwich, jerky (watch the sodium though), shakes, leftovers from last nights dinner in a tupperware container.

Benelli3022
10-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Try a natty PB sandwich with honey and cut up banana, probably the greatest combo put between bread....

Holyspokes
10-07-2008, 03:47 PM
My PB sandwiches have about 17g protein in em, not bad for an on the go fuel up..

No need to OD on the protein brraaaa

CharliC
10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
My PB sandwiches have about 17g protein in em, not bad for an on the go fuel up..

No need to OD on the protein brraaaa

My PB is evidently inferior to yours :(..... I'd need about 7 tbsp for 17g.

Achellies15
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
you could go with the Power PB by SNACLite its got 24g of protein!

gboue
10-07-2008, 04:05 PM
you could go with the Power PB by SNACLite its got 24g of protein!
Power PB its like some special kind of penut butter for bodybuilders? thats intense....all i want to know is it ok to consume two PJS per day or is it actually bad for me? i go low on the jam and put alot of peanut butter

CharliC
10-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Power PB its like some special kind of penut butter for bodybuilders? thats intense....all i want to know is it ok to consume two PJS per day or is it actually bad for me? i go low on the jam and put alot of peanut butter

Fit it into your calories (as per your goals) and you'll be fine- it's a good, energy sustaining snack.

lorinelise
10-07-2008, 04:14 PM

7 Tbsp?! :eek: My PB has 4g protein per Tbsp...

CharliC
10-07-2008, 04:20 PM
7 Tbsp?! :eek: My PB has 4g protein per Tbsp...

English peanuts clearly don't have the awesome power of American ones :(.........

lorinelise
10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
English peanuts clearly don't have the awesome power of American ones :(.........

Travesty!! :(

Jattfusion
10-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Try a natty PB sandwich with honey and cut up banana, probably the greatest combo put between bread....

+1 on that.. pb nutty is the best way to go.. i just had my pb/jelly sandwich heh.. i switch em around eggs are good source of protetn.. one medium size egg packs 6 g of protein.. and u can turn ur protein whey powder into many diff forms.. waffles.. cookies..pancakes.

SupaNatural
10-07-2008, 05:44 PM
The amino acid content of grains and legumes typically complement each other to form what is considered a complete protein. Depending on the type of bread, you'd have 5 g/slice of bread and each 2 tbs of PB would yield about 7 g. Not the greatest source, but definitely not bad at all at 17 g per sandwich.

Holyspokes
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
The amino acid content of grains and legumes typically complement each other to form what is considered a complete protein. Depending on the type of bread, you'd have 5 g/slice of bread and each 2 tbs of PB would yield about 7 g. Not the greatest source, but definitely not bad at all at 17 g per sandwich.

Yeh that's what I meant when I said 17g. 9g for Peanut Butter + 10g for the bread.

SupaNatural
10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeh that's what I meant when I said 17g. 9g for Peanut Butter + 10g for the bread.

I figured, just thought I'd break it down since it seems like some people forgot about the protein content in bread. ;)

seriouslifter
10-07-2008, 06:10 PM

isnt honey all sugar? when would someone use because i was tempting to buy it just to put it on whatever.

seattlems333
10-07-2008, 06:13 PM

He said his PB sandwiches have 17 grams of protein, which isn't anything out of the ordinary. My PB sandwiches have 19 grams of protein, - 2 tbsp PB (9 g protein) and 2 slices of whole wheat bread (5 g protein per slice).

lorinelise
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
isnt honey all sugar? when would someone use because i was tempting to buy it just to put it on whatever.

Honey is great!

Raw honey claims all kinds of health benefits: treatment for allergies, aiding digestion, enhancing immune system, boosting energy, etc.....it also naturally contains antioxidants, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals.

And it tastes delicious ;)

seriouslifter
10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Honey is great!

Raw honey claims all kinds of health benefits: treatment for allergies, aiding digestion, enhancing immune system, boosting energy, etc.....it also naturally contains antioxidants, enzymes, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals.

And it tastes delicious ;)

i was looking at the nutrition content and it had alot of sugar thats why i didnt buy it. I wanted some, but im cutting also.

lorinelise
10-07-2008, 06:28 PM
i was looking at the nutrition content and it had alot of sugar thats why i didnt buy it. I wanted some, but im cutting also.

It's pretty much pure sugar...but don't fear sugar, it's not from an unnatural source and it's not "bad" when cutting either.

If you're going to get honey, though, the kinds that you were likely looking at in the grocery store are ultra-processed and stripped of many of the benefits I listed above. Try to find raw honey if you can! :)

seriouslifter
10-07-2008, 06:51 PM
It's pretty much pure sugar...but don't fear sugar, it's not from an unnatural source and it's not "bad" when cutting either.

If you're going to get honey, though, the kinds that you were likely looking at in the grocery store are ultra-processed and stripped of many of the benefits I listed above. Try to find raw honey if you can! :)

where?

lorinelise
10-07-2008, 06:52 PM
where?

Some grocery stores have one or two raw ones, but you could try a natural food store, Vitamin Shoppe, or someplace similar....

SupaNatural
10-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Raw honey is the best.

BlueFenix13S
10-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Peanut butter and honey > Peanut butter and jelly. But, they're good with a glass of milk :D

Jules Verne
10-08-2008, 04:26 AM
He said his PB sandwiches have 17 grams of protein, which isn't anything out of the ordinary. My PB sandwiches have 19 grams of protein, - 2 tbsp PB (9 g protein) and 2 slices of whole wheat bread (5 g protein per slice).

Which is just dandy if your a housewife taking in 50g of protein/day.

No housewife offence.

Or if you need thousands of kcal. You may already be getting plenty of protein.

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Does anyone in this section know anything anymore?

PB + Whole Wheat bread = a Complete protein source

JTFisher79
10-08-2008, 05:57 AM
usually as soon as I wake up I have a protein shake w/milk and a pbj sandwich and then after the gym I have eggs and cheese. I get my carbs from my 2 1 1 shake

Whey Hey
10-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Replace the Jelly with cottage cheese, and make sure it is on wholewheat bread.

/thread.

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 06:48 AM

/thread.

Wow, you just created one nasty combination...

daYDreAmErX
10-08-2008, 06:50 AM

+1 that sounds terrible.

gboue
10-08-2008, 07:22 AM

/thread.
yah man that sounds AWEFULL

Benelli3022
10-08-2008, 07:24 AM

Yeah I should have made clear that RAW honey is the only way to go, no additives, theres a lot of honey you can buy thats loaded down with extra ****, make sure its only made from the bees knees!

Rich30N90W
10-08-2008, 08:52 AM

Ever try PB and Cottage Cheese? Although it sounds disgusting, it's quite good blended together - give it a try

TheWaffleIron
10-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Almond butter and jelly on ezekiel bread, (a personal favorite) is roughly 30 g of protein. Yes, its a good source of protein.

kcvalentine
10-08-2008, 09:46 AM

/thread.
Call me curious, or crazy, but I have to try this when I get home... I have a hard time eating cottage cheese with anything so why not? Plus I've paid good money for supplements that tasted like crap and this is a hell of a lot cheaper...

corzzx
10-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I had a peanut butter and chocolate spread sammich today

was lovely.

But on a serious note, just be cautious of how much peanut butter you use, its easy to get carried away.

lorinelise
10-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Almond butter and jelly on ezekiel bread, (a personal favorite) is roughly 30 g of protein. Yes, its a good source of protein.

You sir, have impeccable taste! :D

I like mine on cinnamon raisin ezekiel ;)

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 11:35 AM
You sir, have impeccable taste! :D

I like mine on cinnamon raisin ezekiel ;)

I would to if that bread didn't tear my insides up... :(

lorinelise
10-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I would to if that bread didn't tear my insides up... :(

:( that's no good!! How ya been buuuuddy?? Workin a lot?

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 11:43 AM
:( that's no good!! How ya been buuuuddy?? Workin a lot?

I'm rocking 47 hours of no sleep... My friggin mood is shot to ****.

What's up gurl?

Johnchallis
10-08-2008, 11:44 AM

my pb has 4.2g / tablespoon...... :)

lorinelise
10-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm rocking 47 hours of no sleep... My friggin mood is shot to ****.

What's up gurl?

Daaaang! Remind me not to piss you off :D

I'm at work, on break...which is over in about 30 seconds :mad: :(

Have fun playing with all the silly kiddies!!

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Daaaang! Remind me not to piss you off :D

I'm at work, on break...which is over in about 30 seconds :mad: :(

Have fun playing with all the silly kiddies!!

This forum is seriously a joke... Other than you, Emma, and a few others... *cough* in my list *cough*

You aren't in it, but you should be. :D

JAWS22
10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Dood are yall kidding? Peanut Butter is all they give prisoners aside from the **** they get to eat in the morning, they may not be jacked to oblivion but those guys could pinapple slap anyone on this forum.

Peanut butter = good **** brah, dont listen to dumbelinas who are watching carbs and all that bull****, you wanna grow get you some peanut butter.

Widge
10-08-2008, 11:55 AM
have a meat sandwitch then shuovel peanut butter later in the day when your not eating carbs aswell

MarkVI
10-08-2008, 11:56 AM
This forum is seriously a joke... Other than you, Emma, and a few others... *cough* in my list *cough*

You aren't in it, but you should be. :D

Iz on teh list? A+?

Don't work so friggin hard bro! Sleeeep lol. Are you losing weight from your horrendous schedule? I hope not -- that sounds like it's a gainz killin' routine.

BlueFenix13S
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
have a meat sandwitch then shuovel peanut butter later in the day when your not eating carbs aswell

Lol and fail.

C+F together do not make you any fatter than P+F/P+C combinations would.

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Iz on teh list? A+?

Don't work so friggin hard bro! Sleeeep lol. Are you losing weight from your horrendous schedule? I hope not -- that sounds like it's a gainz killin' routine.

Nope, I'm maintaining fine right now. Other priorities are on my agenda other than training right now. :(

Actually I'm taking a week break before I go on a hardcore Matty style bulk before I start dieting for my contest. :D

MarkVI
10-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Nope, I'm maintaining fine right now. Other priorities are on my agenda other than training right now. :(

Actually I'm taking a week break before I go on a hardcore Matty style bulk before I start dieting for my contest. :D

That's awesome -- If you can maintain it then that's awesome. BB'ng isn't everything, I agree.

I can't wait to see that bulk! Do you know which contest you want?

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 12:14 PM
That's awesome -- If you can maintain it then that's awesome. BB'ng isn't everything, I agree.

I can't wait to see that bulk! Do you know which contest you want?

Mr. Wisconsin. :D

Buy Bulk Whey
10-08-2008, 12:16 PM
ate one today! Yum Yum. everything in moderation and u'll be good!

Widge
10-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Lol and fail.

C+F together do not make you any fatter than P+F/P+C combinations would.

but why would you eat jam

its offering him nothing

its sux balls

SupaNatural
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM

its offering him nothing

its sux balls

because concentrated fruit and awesome flavor is a big waste of time. :rolleyes:

daYDreAmErX
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM

its offering him nothing

its sux balls

u mad my FF raspberry jam has vitamins and fibers ?

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 12:22 PM
u mad my FF raspberry jam has vitamins and fibers ?

I'm mad I haven't slept in days. :mad:

daYDreAmErX
10-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm mad I haven't slept in days. :mad:

I just had a huge oatmeal+chocolate chip cookies in class with a huge coffee... amIgonnagettehfatz ?

Whey Hey
10-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Call me curious, or crazy, but I have to try this when I get home... I have a hard time eating cottage cheese with anything so why not? Plus I've paid good money for supplements that tasted like crap and this is a hell of a lot cheaper...

Dude, Peanut butter and cottage cheese were made for eachother.

A sandwich of peanut butter & cottage cheese has so much protein, and the dry texture of the peanut butter mixes BEAUTIFULLY with the wet texture of the cottage cheese. :)

Heres what else i make for bedtime:

Peanut Butter
Cottage Cheese,
1 Scoop Whey protein
Cinnamon Powder sprinkled ontop

^^ Mix it all together into a nice mush, and it tastes great, if you get plain natural cottage cheese, it almost tastes like ice cream, srs. ;)

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I just had a huge oatmeal+chocolate chip cookies in class with a huge coffee... amIgonnagettehfatz ?

Ummmm, of course! A 400 calorie cookie means huge fat gains, everyone knows that. Not to mention the hydrogenated oils!

lol

If anything, you'll be regular and being regular is all full of win! :D

daYDreAmErX
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Ummmm, of course! A 400 calorie cookie means huge fat gains, everyone knows that. Not to mention the hydrogenated oils!

lol

If anything, you'll be regular and being regular is all full of win! :D

It was written no transfat so I figured it was good.

Plus it's light. I read on T-Nation that when the food isn't heavy it's good you can eat plenty of it.

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
It was written no transfat so I figured it was good.

Plus it's light. I read on T-Nation that when the food isn't heavy it's good you can eat plenty of it.

Just make sure you drink your Surge! :D

daYDreAmErX
10-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Just make sure you drink your Surge! :D

I always have a couple of scoops when I take my 20 fish oils.

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 12:40 PM
I always have a couple of scoops when I take my 20 fish oils.

But, but, but... The EFA's wif da insulean spike!

Widge
10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
But, but, but... The EFA's wif da insulean spike!

your 539 lbs

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
your 539 lbs

You're 17...

daYDreAmErX
10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
You're 17...

... and he's against milk.

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
... and he's against milk.

...and probably a communist.

FunkDaddy
10-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Mr. Wisconsin. :D

Is the trophy made of cheese?

-Aaron-
10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Is the trophy made of cheese?

Cheese, Miller Lite legs, with some maple syrup.

combs08
10-08-2008, 01:42 PM
When is that show? I will be in Wisonsin next year.

And it's fine to eat PB&J. It's a complete protein source.

PopeGregorius
10-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Nuts, jerky, fruit.