PDA

View Full Version : Just want to be healthy, advice please?

Krikey187
09-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Well let me just tell you about myself real quick. I abused pot from 17-24 and I'm almost 25 now. This year I cut back a whole lot until I completely stopped. The reason was because I was getting heart palpitations which seemed directly related to the smoking. Since stopping smoking i dont get them nearly as much if ever. When I would smoke i knew i would get palpitations the very next day and dreaded it. Plus when i got to around 24 i would break out just from smoking. I had always had clear skin but as soon as i took a puff i would break out the next day. If i didnt smoke my skin stayed clear. So obviously i have a bunch of toxins inside my body. Maybe i should do a cleanse? Im not sure.

I used to body build but then i got a job where i was constantly walking and getting no breaks to eat anything. So i would go sometimes 7 hours at a time walking with nothing to eat and at the same time i was drinking and smoking. The lack of food and strenuous activity i believe also could have caused my palpitations. I really think my body just zapped all its resources and just didnt have the fuel to properly function.

So now here I am. I dont work a job thats as demanding. Ive been out of the bodybuilding scene basically because getting big is not the best health route for my situation. I just want to be healthy and live the longest life possible. I'm going to keep it simple and just do body weight exercises with some cardio on an exercise bike. I have my diet down all except for the supplements. So far this is what I've been thinking about getting:

NOW Super Antioxidants (help me out with those inner toxins)
NOW Heart Support
NOW Ginkgo Biloba (heart healthy and supposed to make you smart)
Greens Plus (http://greensplus.com/product_info.php/cPath/84_21_23/products_id/130)
(More antioxidants couldn't hurt)
Idebenone (supposed to be better than Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) that my heart health book recommends) Heres a snippet about it if you didn't know:

"Idebenone is different from Coenzyme Q10 in one very important way. During a hypoxic (low oxygen) condition, CoQ10 can switch function from an anti-oxidizing to an auto-oxidizing process. This auto-oxidation rapidly produces free radicals which damage the tissues of the body."

More info here: http://www.antiaging-systems.com/a2z/idebenone.htm

I'm unsure if I should add a multivitamin because when I was at Walgreens maybe about a month ago I had seen this Heart Health pack (http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Made-Fl.../dp/B0012H32XW)
and I asked one of the pharmacy people if I should take that and a multivitamin and he said no cause it would overlap it. I feel kinda strange not taking a multivitamin though.

Do you think these supplements are good enough or is there something else you'd recommend? Should i take a multivitamin as well? Thanks to all that read this far! Any help would be great.

davidmtml
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Well let me just tell you about myself real quick. I abused pot from 17-24 and I'm almost 25 now. This year I cut back a whole lot until I completely stopped. The reason was because I was getting heart palpitations which seemed directly related to the smoking. Since stopping smoking i dont get them nearly as much if ever. When I would smoke i knew i would get palpitations the very next day and dreaded it. Plus when i got to around 24 i would break out just from smoking. I had always had clear skin but as soon as i took a puff i would break out the next day. If i didnt smoke my skin stayed clear. So obviously i have a bunch of toxins inside my body. Maybe i should do a cleanse? Im not sure.

I used to body build but then i got a job where i was constantly walking and getting no breaks to eat anything. So i would go sometimes 7 hours at a time walking with nothing to eat and at the same time i was drinking and smoking. The lack of food and strenuous activity i believe also could have caused my palpitations. I really think my body just zapped all its resources and just didnt have the fuel to properly function.

So now here I am. I dont work a job thats as demanding. Ive been out of the bodybuilding scene basically because getting big is not the best health route for my situation. I just want to be healthy and live the longest life possible. I'm going to keep it simple and just do body weight exercises with some cardio on an exercise bike. I have my diet down all except for the supplements. So far this is what I've been thinking about getting:

NOW Super Antioxidants (help me out with those inner toxins)
NOW Heart Support
NOW Ginkgo Biloba (heart healthy and supposed to make you smart)
Greens Plus (http://greensplus.com/product_info.php/cPath/84_21_23/products_id/130)
(More antioxidants couldn't hurt)
Idebenone (supposed to be better than Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) that my heart health book recommends) Heres a snippet about it if you didn't know:

"Idebenone is different from Coenzyme Q10 in one very important way. During a hypoxic (low oxygen) condition, CoQ10 can switch function from an anti-oxidizing to an auto-oxidizing process. This auto-oxidation rapidly produces free radicals which damage the tissues of the body."

More info here: http://www.antiaging-systems.com/a2z/idebenone.htm

I'm unsure if I should add a multivitamin because when I was at Walgreens maybe about a month ago I had seen this Heart Health pack (http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Made-Fl.../dp/B0012H32XW)
and I asked one of the pharmacy people if I should take that and a multivitamin and he said no cause it would overlap it. I feel kinda strange not taking a multivitamin though.

Do you think these supplements are good enough or is there something else you'd recommend? Should i take a multivitamin as well? Thanks to all that read this far! Any help would be great.

I don't know a lot about the supplements you were talking about...but I would have to say it can't hurt to take a multivitamin.

antbanks
09-29-2008, 12:20 AM
supps look good, will likely help you. I'd consider adding a multivitamin and fish oil capsules as well. light cardio and bodyweight exercises will do you justice for now. as long as your old habits don't return you'll get stronger and be fit enough to bodybuild in good time.

obmas
09-29-2008, 12:25 AM
sounds like you could definitely need some fishoil

stealth_maven
09-29-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm going less with toxins on this one, and more on reduced circulation.

Do some cardio, eat a 40/40/20 diet, and a month or so you'll be better.

Krikey187
09-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm currently taking that heart health pack i mentioned which has fish oil capsules in it. I actually have a bottle of fish oil left over from my bodybuilding days. Great to hear I'm on the right track.

deniall
09-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Firstly I want to say well done in sorting yourself out. Drugs can be a very hard thing to get control of so you have done a good thing.

All the supplements you have listed look good. I would also check out Spirulina and Chlorella. Both are superfoods and can help rid the body of certain toxic substances. They are also great for digestion and overall health. Since I have started taking them I feel unreal and honestly wouldn't be without them now.

Krikey187
09-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I'll look into those, thanks! Appreciate the kind words.

swolejack5
09-29-2008, 01:44 PM
I probally recognize it but forgot.. what is a hear palpiation?

Krikey187
09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Heres a good definition:

"Heart palpitations -- an unusual awareness of the heartbeat -- is an extremely common symptom. Most people who complain of palpitations describe them either as ?skips? in the heartbeat (that is, a pause, often followed by a particularly strong beat,) or as periods of rapid and irregular heartbeats."

It got to the point sometimes where i would be on my side laying in bed and i would hear my heart beating almost making a clicking noise in my ear every 10 seconds. Thats the best way i can describe it. When i would be just doing everyday things i would sorta hear the flutter in my ear. I got to the point where every time i smoked my chest would get tight and it was just not enjoyable anymore. Definately scared me straight.