PDA

View Full Version : Do certain brands produce better supplements than others, or its all the same thing?

DADE_COUNTY
09-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Ive heard the saying "creatine is creatine" and "glutamine is glutamine" when discussing supplement brands, and people saying that its all the same thing...but is it really?

I had good recovery effects from glutamine from prolab, but now from a different company I dont feel its the same effect, and I need to consume more of the product to get the same effect as before...so the cheaper price is nullified.

in10city
09-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Yes & no. Raw sources, manufacturing process, handling, product turnover all can influence the quality of the product once it reaches your hands.

djchrono
09-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes & no. Raw sources, manufacturing process, handling, product turnover all can influence the quality of the product once it reaches your hands.

I would agree with the above. The purity of the product also varies, depending on the refinement method.

canuhandleit
09-28-2008, 01:32 PM
If you stick to the companies that have been around and regarded as quality products, you can't really go wrong.

NO HYPE
09-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Do certain brands produce better supplements than others, or its all the same thing?

Adding non-biologically available amounts of actives to prop blends [with undisclosed amounts], is a shady practice worth mentioning. There are a few companies who like to print eye-catching substances on their [proprietary] labels, knowing that they do not have to actually disclose the laughable amounts that they plan to include in the finished product.

In my opinion, the best companies use third-party laboratories to test the purity of their raws.

DADE_COUNTY
09-28-2008, 08:06 PM
In my opinion, the best companies use third-party laboratories to test the purity of their raws.

How do we know which companies do that?

NO HYPE
09-29-2008, 03:57 AM

Well, you can start by asking the company reps directly. Testing raws for purity is a practice that any company would readily admit to.

EXAMPLE: ThermoLife has all of our raws tested for purity, by a third party lab. We also disclose proprietary amounts [as indicated by my sig].

blinKme431
09-29-2008, 04:30 AM

What NO HYPE said, or just take a look at the labels. It'll say something like 'XPLOSIVE JACKED BLEND' - 2200 mgs and list several substances. It doesn't give you a breakdown of how much of any of those particular substances are in it, just their total.
The companies that do it will argue they do it so others don't rip off their formulas. The companies that don't will accuse the other companies of being shady, trying to obfuscate the actual ingredients. Who's right? I guess it's up to you to decide.
As to your original question, I'd say they're generally the same. With that said, it's a smart idea to research reviews and see what experienced users have to say about any given product. You can find at least someone who's taken just about every supplement on the market on these forums.

DADE_COUNTY
10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
When a brand shows a C.O.A. on their website for each product, would that be compliant with 3rd party testing?

dvsness
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Ive heard the saying "creatine is creatine" and "glutamine is glutamine" when discussing supplement brands, and people saying that its all the same thing...but is it really?

I had good recovery effects from glutamine from prolab, but now from a different company I dont feel its the same effect, and I need to consume more of the product to get the same effect as before...so the cheaper price is nullified.

Glad to hear you have been pleased with Prolab's products. Prolab/Natrol is a brand that I feel you can trust implicitly - which is why I work for them. Here's some more info on our quality standards:

Natrol - Quality Uncompromised

Quality Materials Used In Natrol's Products

Natrol buys raw materials from companies located in the U.S. and abroad. Regardless of the country of origin, our extensive quality procedures ensure that Natrol's products are safe, pure and meet label claims. Our Quality Assurance Program involves the following key components:

Vendor Qualification: Natrol's strict vendor qualification program includes screening by GMP audit questionnaire followed by facility audits to ensure we select reliable suppliers. As a result, Natrol has close working relationships with a group of trusted vendors who consistently furnish the highest quality materials.

Ingredient Testing: All ingredients are carefully inspected upon receipt, sampled and held under quarantine until analytical testing is completed to confirm that they meet all specifications for purity, activity and physical characteristics. All materials undergo thorough testing prior to release for manufacturing. Any material that does not meet all specifications is rejected. Natrol's reputation for having strict acceptance criteria and rejecting unsuitable materials is well known throughout the nutraceutical industry.

In-Process Testing: During the manufacturing process, testing is also conducted to assure that each product conforms to the specifications established for it.

Finished Product Testing: All manufactured products undergo final analytical testing to ensure their safety, purity and activity levels. Final testing includes physical and chemical analyses and microbiological testing to guarantee each Natrol product meets all quality specifications. Sensitive analytical testing is also performed to ensure that our products are below the legal limit (California Proposition 65) for heavy metals (Lead, Cadmium, Arsenic and Mercury).

Document Control: All aspects of the quality program and test results are thoroughly documented. Traceability of every ingredient used in each of our products is an absolute requirement of our system.

Record Retention: All production and testing records are maintained in safekeeping for several years.

Regular Quality Audits: Natrol undergoes regular quality audits by its licensing and certifying agencies. We also conduct internal audits of our procedures and processes to ensure compliance within our organization.

Our consumers can be assured of the safety and effectiveness of Natrol's products no matter where the raw materials originate because of the extensive testing and GMP quality procedures we maintain.

NO HYPE
10-01-2008, 02:59 PM
When a brand shows a C.O.A. on their website for each product, would that be compliant with 3rd party testing?

No [see my forum sig].

A COA from a raw material supplier, proves nothing by means of third-party testing, and is often times just used to convince the 'good bros' that everything is legit. Take proprietary blends for example. It doesn't matter if the actual amount of certain actives in each dose is so low, that they aren't even biologically available, because nobody will ever know [if the testing of the raws is done in-house].

Additionally, a cGMP certification merely shows that the product in question, has been tested for contaminants, so you won't actually get any proof that the product is comprised of what is stated on the label [like you do with third-party testing].