PDA

View Full Version : Macros for a middle-aged person that does little physical activity

timhet
09-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi all,

A few people at work have asked me for advice about dieting and fat loss. I'm wondering what the macros should be for a middle aged person that does little to no activity during the week?

MasterJedi
09-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi all,

A few people at work have asked me for advice about dieting and fat loss. I'm wondering what the macros should be for a middle aged person that does little to no activity during the week?

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

NoTimeLikeNow
09-26-2008, 09:28 PM
To be honest, macros seem to be a little advanced for you from the sounds of things. Do you actually care about losing weight or are you wasting our time here?

timhet
09-26-2008, 10:14 PM
What do you mean by that???

I think its a legit question...

andrewholler
09-26-2008, 10:30 PM
You are 5'10 165?

That is well in the range of a healthy weight. Do you have an abnormally low Lean Body Mass?

timhet
09-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm actually about 170ish now...bulking at the moment.

What does that have to do with my question though?

My diet is around 40/40/20, or even slightly more carbs than protein.

But, what about people that don't goto the gym and are middle-aged? Do they need the same ratios as someone who does goto the gym?

andrewholler
09-26-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm actually about 170ish now...bulking at the moment.

What does that have to do with my question though?

My diet is around 40/40/20, or even slightly more carbs than protein.

But, what about people that don't goto the gym and are middle-aged? Do they need the same ratios as someone who does goto the gym?

How many calories are we talking about?

And why don't you hit up the gym? Do you get another form of excersize such as walking, biking, etc?

timhet
09-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Ok, there appears to be some confusion here.

The question I've asked is not for me. I have been reading and posting on these forums for months. I'm happy with my progress. I'm a 27 year old, male and I goto the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I am happy with my diet.

My question is on behalf of my work-mates. I work with several people who are aged between 40 and 55. They have asked me for advice on weight loss.

Now, I could tell them to do what I'm doing, but I'm a 27 y/o male who is very active.

My questions is: What macros should a 40-55 year old person have to go alongside their calorie deficit diet. They will be aiming for about 1700 calories according to the online calculators. However, how much of this should be protein, carbs and fat, considering they do little physical activity. They want to lose fat by simply dieting.

andrewholler
09-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Ok, there appears to be some confusion here.

The question I've asked is not for me. I have been reading and posting on these forums for months. I'm happy with my progress. I'm a 27 year old, male and I goto the gym 4 or 5 days a week. I am happy with my diet.

My question is on behalf of my work-mates. I work with several people who are aged between 40 and 55. They have asked me for advice on weight loss.

Now, I could tell them to do what I'm doing, but I'm a 27 y/o male who is very active.

My questions is: What macros should a 40-55 year old person have to go alongside their calorie deficit diet. They will be aiming for about 1700 calories according to the online calculators. However, how much of this should be protein, carbs and fat, considering they do little physical activity. They want to lose fat by simply dieting.

OK, sorry I must have missed the part about the co-worker.

Firstly, I would inform them that although diet is first and formost, excercise is key to weight loss and they should try to do some.

Second, Macro's for someone that isn't overly educated in weight loss is really too advanced for them. i would tell them the basic advice such as eat 5-6 meals a day of X amount of calories (depending on height / weight). Make sure there they eat protein with every meal, etc.

If this is not sufficient, a 40/40/20 would be a good ratio for them to use although realistically, this is more complicated than they need worry about.

timhet
09-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Ok, thanks for the info.

I just want to make sure I'm giving them the right advice and not assuming that what I have been doing for myself will work for them.

Cheers,
Tim