PDA

View Full Version : Insulin Spike?

chenrko420
09-20-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm wondering if I really need an insulin spike after workout or is drinking a whey protein shake afterwards enough? By the way, I am an endomesomorph therefore i am very sensitive to carbs.

jack3d_brah9
09-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Depends on if you are trying to gain or lose weight and what kind of diet you are on. If on a reg 40/40/20 split then i would say take in some carbs post workout for sure

in10city
09-20-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm wondering if I really need an insulin spike after workout or is drinking a whey protein shake afterwards enough? By the way, I am an endomesomorph therefore i am very sensitive to carbs.
You don't need to spike ur insulinz. Seriously, ever.

Some carbs are fine, opt for a more wholesome source.

chenrko420
09-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm content with the amount of muscle I have at the moment. My goal is to burn pure fat while maintaining as muscle as I can. And it seems like I don't need an insulin spike after all.

By the way, I have been in ketosis and realized that i didn't have much energy to do even the most basic of cardio and i decided to consume more carbs only in the early parts of the day. I hope this is a good decision.

Tommy W.
09-20-2008, 03:36 PM
insulin spike from food is very minor. Your body does a very good job of regulating it unless you're a diabetic.

tw

BuckSpin
09-20-2008, 04:16 PM
If you want to do a PWO shake, try to use a 3:1 carb to protein ratio. And I 100% agree with an above reply - make them good, nutritious carbs and not some empty -tose/-trose powdered sugar.

chenrko420
09-20-2008, 04:36 PM
If you want to do a PWO shake, try to use a 3:1 carb to protein ratio. And I 100% agree with an above reply - make them good, nutritious carbs and not some empty -tose/-trose powdered sugar.

Are you sure that much carbs will be beneficial for me? I'm not trying to gain more mass. My goal is to just burn body fat.

BuckSpin
09-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Are you sure that much carbs will be beneficial for me? I'm not trying to gain more mass. My goal is to just burn body fat.

This is, IMHO, only if you want to utilize a PWO shake. I'm only going by what I have learned and from personal experience. Also, increasing muscle mass will help you burn that fat.

Tommy W.
09-20-2008, 05:46 PM

if pwo cals put you over your cal allowance for your goals it's counter productive

tw

chenrko420
09-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah that's the thing. I guess I'll just stick to whey protein. I mean I have always had a slow metabolism. Even if I did gain more muscle, its only an extra 6 calories per pound?

in10city
09-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah that's the thing. I guess I'll just stick to whey protein. I mean I have always had a slow metabolism. Even if I did gain more muscle, its only an extra 6 calories per pound?
A pound of muscle utilizes approx 50 calories/d at rest (dependant upon many things such as muscle enzyme increases, mitochondrial and capillary density, etc...). It will also require more to fuel it during exercise. However the actual BMR increase will probably not be linear with increase in LBM.

You'll need to add a good amount for it to make a substantial difference.

richy_boi
09-21-2008, 01:41 AM

I'm assuming you are giving yourself a hard work out? If so, you would have dug into your glycogen stores and you need to restore that in the body.

Some say that sugar floats around in your body until it is needed. Well, actually, sugar is quickly converted into fat... until your body needs it for later (when your body is not above the 70-80% of your Max heart rate - then you are using more calories then calories from fat - another story!!) anyways...

Research it, otherwise it'll get technical... but depending on your height and lean body mass you are best to combine protien with sugar to restore your lost glocygen and allow the protein to repair the muscles and the sugar to replenish lost glycogen.

PS your diet should be clean, therefore the only time you would quickly replenish glycogen with sugar is immediatly after a HARD work out and cardio. And the sugar should only be about 20mg.

PS Fructos is not good enough - that's what is found in a lot of mass gaining shakes.

I only say this because you mentioned you don't want to loose muscle just loose fat.

Yada yada I could go on... but research it and you'll find that carbs is MOST important after strenuous excercise - whatever your 'body type'