PDA

View Full Version : Curious: U think it was a good move for McCain to have picked Palin?

Dr.Strange
09-14-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm actually very surprised... I thought that McCain picking Palin would have had negative impacts but it looks like it was a good strategy afterall for McCain..

I sort of like Palin's economic views but I think there were more prominent/well known canidates that could have helped McCain more. Perhaps Romney...

Now, I'm not sure if Romney or the others would have had such a postive impact on his campaign as Palin has had.. She definitely is a good speaker and has had more of an impact then I would have ever expected..

What do you think, was it a good move on McCain or would have Romney or some of the other canidates have helped McCain even more?

I'm just happy that Obama didn't pick Hillary.. lol.. Now all the Hillary voters are pissed and a few of them will probably just write her in which is basically the same thing as not voting.

Anyways, I think Obama will lose. The only thing going for him is that he is young, enthusiastic, and a very good speaker. However, once the independents realize that this guy is far far on the left (nut case)they will come to their senses and vote for McCain who is a moderate (still too liberal for me..)

tinyman5000
09-14-2008, 03:41 PM
i dont think it had the intended effect but it has drawn more hardcore conservatives who werent going to vote into the booths

i dont think he got the hillary vote whatsoever though

Morbid_Mind
09-14-2008, 03:42 PM
If he picked Romney the left would still be attacking the pick as fervently as they are now. Romney has 5 houses, McCain has 7, Romney's made quite a bit of money for himself, Romney's religion, RomneyCare, etc... The guy took a lot of flack from his own party, you think the left would be any more kind?

Dr.Strange
09-14-2008, 03:45 PM
If he picked Romney the left would still be attacking the pick as fervently as they are now. Romney has 5 houses, McCain has 7, Romney's made quite a bit of money for himself, Romney's religion, RomneyCare, etc... The guy took a lot of flack from his own party, you think the left would be any more kind?

Hmmm.. Very good point. Yeah, I suppose the religion would be a huge issue and so would the houses.

Morbid_Mind
09-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Hmmm.. Very good point. Yeah, I suppose the religion would be a huge issue and so would the houses.

12 houses on the same ticket during a mortgage meltdown? That would be a real housing crisis :p

Thinman
09-14-2008, 04:56 PM
12 houses on the same ticket during a mortgage meltdown? That would be a real housing crisis :p

lol. Actually, Palin was a great choice politically. She might just put McCain over the top. I don't care for her conservative views, but she certainly has rallied the base. Whether she will be good for the country remains to be seen.

ElMariachi
09-14-2008, 05:07 PM
If McCain wins this election, the choice of Palin will go down as one of the greatest US election maneuvers ever.

Her selection has clearly pushed women, independents and others to his side. Before Palin, Obama had an 8 point lead in the white women vote......post Palin selection, Obama is now down by 12.

She rallied the base and has brought in independents and moderate Democrats. It was a hit or miss, feast or famine type choice and thus far it seems to be paying off major dividends and then some.

ElMariachi
09-14-2008, 05:08 PM
i dont think he got the hillary vote whatsoever though

In spite of the fact that there are organizations like PUMA and other disenfranchised Hillary supporting groups that have pledged their full support to McCain?

Or the multiple polls show that anywhere from 15-30% of Hillary supporters are now backing McCain???

Duckenheimer
09-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Though she may be the next Hitler (;)), it was a brilliant manouevre in electability terms.

st_jimmy
09-14-2008, 05:23 PM
well Palin attracts alot of the bitter hillary supporters because shes a woman. Also she sort of gives a balance to the republican ticket, with the old school GOP man Mccain and the young, female Palin next to each other.

nutsy54
09-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Considering the rabid fixation levied on her by the media and Obama's campaign, McCain must have done something right with this choice :D

mr_moto_civic
09-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Is McCain that old dude on the Palin ticket?

againstall0dds
09-14-2008, 07:15 PM
It was terrible, reactive, desperate move from McCain.

**** will really hit the fan when she debates Ole Joe Biden

Dr.Strange
09-14-2008, 07:26 PM

I don't think so... She is pretty good at debating. Even Joe Biden already stated that she would be a challenge. Anyways, it will be interesting.

nutsy54
09-14-2008, 08:17 PM
I**** will really hit the fan when she debates Ole Joe BidenBut. . . In which direction shall the feces be flying? :p

AJbuilder
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Palin's a good debater. She edged out both incumbents in her previous debates for mayor and governor.

Biden's quite a stiff talker too.

Morbid_Mind
09-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Biden's quite a stiff talker too.

Biden's only a good speaker when Kinnock is writing for him :p

JuanDenver
09-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Have you noticed the endless debates and discussions comparing and contrasting her to obama? How shes more qualified than obama?

The pick worked.

ElMariachi
09-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Have you noticed the endless debates and discussions comparing and contrasting her to obama? How shes more qualified than obama?

The pick worked.

Have you noticed Obama trying to start shiite with her instead of with McCain? This pick has worked better than anyone could have imagined thus far.

McCain has turned around his campaign from what was going to be a likely landslide defeat to a constantly increasing chance of winning the presidency.

Spuddy
09-14-2008, 09:55 PM

terrible move, eh? which is why mccain is now soaring ahead of obama, when he was hurting till the day before her pick?

and she will kill him in the debate- he doesn't even think he deserves to be on his own ticket. if biden could actually debate well, he would have gotten more than 6,000 votes (literally) in the primaries. plus, have you ever tried out-talking a bitchy woman on a mission? good luck.. especially if it's her time of month when the debate is on.

ElMariachi
09-14-2008, 10:03 PM
terrible move, eh? which is why mccain is now soaring ahead of obama, when he was hurting till the day before her pick?

and she will kill him in the debate- he doesn't even think he deserves to be on his own ticket. if biden could actually debate well, he would have gotten more than 6,000 votes (literally) in the primaries. plus, have you ever tried out-talking a bitchy woman on a mission? good luck.. especially if it's her time of month when the debate is on.

Nobody is scared of Joe Biden......except for nervous Democrats that are wishing they had Hillary, and pleading that the guy doesn't screw up anymore than he has already.

I have no worries about Sarah Palin holding her own against him in a debate. She'll wipe the floor with him when it comes to energy policy, he has a long history of being on the wrong side of that issue time and time again. With most folks looking at the cost of gas, the BS he pushes simply isn't going to cut it.

Insane Clown
09-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Are you kidding? As I said in another thread, she's been a fantastic choice.

Do I think she got the Hillary vote? No. Did she undercut a key message of the McCain campaign's message against Obama? Yeah. Was she the best choice for McCain to make in terms of picking a 'worthy' nominee? Of course not.

But who has the news been talking about day in and day out ever since she got picked? The righties on this board cry and complain over and over about 'unfair' treatment of her and how she's been unfairly persecuted (which is complete crap for anyone who knows how to use a calendar, anyway), but that is what McCain's camp wants.

There has been non-stop political coverage of McCain's ticket. McCain is out of the spotlight (which is good for him), the Obama ticket is now back page news and is therefore seen only in relation to what they say about McCain's ticket, and no matter what dirt they dig up on Palin, McCain's camp can always go to the stand by of saying 'This is about Senator McCain vs. Senator Obama. She's just the running mate'.

It was the perfect choice because she negates some of the 'Obama being the first black president' because she'd be the first female vice-president and the fact that she was no one on the political scene basically up until she was picked means that everything about her is news. Basically, the press are forced to cover her.

This campaign has turned around based almost entirely on the Palin pick. Strong choice in terms of winning the election goes.

NukeDukem
09-15-2008, 12:34 AM
It was a bad move for the Republicans to nominate McCain.

Mccain was a very weak candidate lacking support of the conservative base, and didn't really raise any excitement. He was just Mccain.

For *MCCAIN* it was a good move to select Palin. He wasn't exciting anyone, and was behind in the polls and even further behind in electoral projections. I can't see any other VP pick possibly having as much of an effect on his campaign as the Palin one did.

ElMariachi
09-15-2008, 08:50 AM
It was a bad move for the Republicans to nominate McCain.

Mccain was a very weak candidate lacking support of the conservative base, and didn't really raise any excitement. He was just Mccain.

For *MCCAIN* it was a good move to select Palin. He wasn't exciting anyone, and was behind in the polls and even further behind in electoral projections. I can't see any other VP pick possibly having as much of an effect on his campaign as the Palin one did.

I agree with everything you said. McCain was a lame duck candidate of sorts and nobody really expected that he'd have any chance of winning. Sarah Palin changed everything.

JUSA
09-15-2008, 08:56 AM

**** will really hit the fan when she debates Ole Joe Biden Yea, old Joe is so quick on his feat. Maybe he'll admit a few more times how he wasn't the best choice as VP pick.

namtaB
09-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Depends on the situation. If his goal was to just get elected it was a smart move as evidenced by the recent polls and the surge he's getting. No other candidate would have brought this much popularity to McCain.

As a VP she's a horrible choice. She doesn't know the issues, isolates and alienates herself due to her boorish decisions, fundamental religious views, has a strong dose of hubris, etc.

All qualities which are disastrous for a leader.

mr_moto_civic
09-15-2008, 02:22 PM
It's all so weird.. what's happening. It's Palin, Palin, Palin. John McCain is like the sideshow. McCain's rally in Jacksonville, FL was attended by relatively few people. Out of the 16,000 seats in the stadium, only 3,000 were full. Today's McCain event was without Sarah Palin, who attracted double the number of people that McCain did, at her rally in CO.

The link below has pictures of the sparsely filled stadium.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/15/mccains-crowd-numbers-plu_n_126490.html

Lion Heart
09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Have you noticed Obama trying to start shiite with her instead of with McCain? This pick has worked better than anyone could have imagined thus far.

McCain has turned around his campaign from what was going to be a likely landslide defeat to a constantly increasing chance of winning the presidency.

I may be the only one in the world that was saying, McCain was going to win even before Palin. Palin though guaranteed it.

For anyone that doesn't think she was a great pick I just saw two polls today. One showing McCain only down by three in New Jersey and five in New York.

That says something right there. Fact is I like Romney but no way he could make a state like NY that close.

Apparently Rush has started to refer to McCain as McGenius. He's absolutely right.

Thought_Riot
09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
lol. Actually, Palin was a great choice politically. She might just put McCain over the top. I don't care for her conservative views, but she certainly has rallied the base. Whether she will be good for the country remains to be seen.

I agree with that. I think she's really helped seal alot of conservative Christian votes and rural votes.