PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Carbs

Daemon99
09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
What is a good source of carbs for post workout?

I dont want some slow digesting things and Im not gonna buy some crap dextrose or any other ****ty product.

Sorry for my language, just wanna get the message across.

Any good carbs yall?

Bedwards
09-14-2008, 03:40 PM

I dont want some slow digesting things and Im not gonna buy some crap dextrose or any other ****ty product.

Any good carbs yall?

You want to be taking a high glycemic carbohydrate post-workout. Get either dextrose or maltodextrin, or a 50/50 blend of both.

zacBEAST
09-14-2008, 03:51 PM
You want to be taking a high glycemic carbohydrate psotworkout. Get either dextrose or maltodextrin, or a 50/50 blend of both.

There is honestly no point in spiking insulin PWO with high GI carbs.

I would stick to oats, sweet potatoes, whole wheat breads (cheerios too:) )

Bedwards
09-14-2008, 04:00 PM

Ummm... Please explain your reasoning. Insulin is an extremely anabolic hormone. A post-workout insulin spike is essential.

ccunningham
09-14-2008, 04:07 PM
I don't mean to steal your thread, only I didn't feel it necessary to make another if this was of relevance.

Would I be able to blend some oats and add it to my post workout protein shake as means of getting my carbs for the 'meal'?

zacBEAST
09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Ummm... Please explain your reasoning. Insulin is an extremely anabolic hormone. A post workout insulin spike is essential.

1. Because carbs are not essesntial unless you are a preformance/endurance athlete, it would be fine having some sort of carb supplement if you are an athlete bc you need to replenish you glycogen stores. Protein and fat are the substrates for muscle growth, carbs are just filler calories pretty much. So, unless he is an endurance/performance athlete, there is no need for a carb supplement post workout. It would make more sense to control the insulin relase by having a complete meal of protein, carbs, and fats post workout. The myth that fats slow the absorbtion of nutrients is complete broscience. I have had awesome results by eating complex carbs/fruits/veggies for my carb sources.

2. He would be better off taking a BCAA supplement pre/during/post workout, so that he reduces muscle catabolism and speed the recovery process.

3. The point of working out is to be healthier, and jacking your insulin levels way up after a workout is not healthy. Insulin may be a very anabolic hormone, but it can also prevent fat loss. Studies have shown that physique athletes do not need PWO carbs to gain LEAN MASS. So, there is no point when you can get better results with eating a complete meal

zacBEAST
09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't mean to steal your thread, only I didn't feel it necessary to make another if this was of relevance.

Would I be able to blend some oats and add it to my post workout protein shake as means of getting my carbs for the 'meal'?

Yea, thats fine, it would be beneficial to add some type of fat, for my PWO meal, i usually have whey, oats, and pb or whey, rice cakes with pb spread on them.

hardcoregeorge
09-14-2008, 04:20 PM

x1 :)

Xhale12
09-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Fruity pebbles.

Bedwards
09-14-2008, 04:45 PM
1. Because carbs are not essesntial unless you are a preformance/endurance athlete, it would be fine having some sort of carb supplement if you are an athlete bc you need to replenish you glycogen stores. Protein and fat are the substrates for muscle growth, carbs are just filler calories pretty much. So, unless he is an endurance/performance athlete, there is no need for a carb supplement post workout. It would make more sense to control the insulin relase by having a complete meal of protein, carbs, and fats post workout. The myth that fats slow the absorbtion of nutrients is complete broscience. I have had awesome results by eating complex carbs/fruits/veggies for my carb sources.

2. He would be better off taking a BCAA supplement pre/during/post workout, so that he reduces muscle catabolism and speed the recovery process.

3. The point of working out is to be healthier, and jacking your insulin levels way up after a workout is not healthy. Insulin may be a very anabolic hormone, but it can also prevent fat loss. Studies have shown that physique athletes do not need PWO carbs to gain LEAN MASS. So, there is no point when you can get better results with eating a complete meal

I do not agree with that at all. First of all, insulin is what is driving those amino acids into your cell. Without insulin, you have minimal recovery levels. Second, fats DO slow the absorbtion of other macronutrients. Lastly, I too strongly believe in eating very low glycemic throughout the day. However, post-workout is different. This is the only time an insulin spike is necessary. Having 1 insulin spike per day is not going to negatively impact your gains, ESPECIALLY if it's post-workout.

longsnapper50
09-14-2008, 04:57 PM
I do not agree with that at all. First of all, insulin is what is driving those amino acids into your cell. Without insulin, you have minimal recovery levels. Second, fats DO slow the absorbtion of other macronutrients. Lastly, I too strongly believe in eating very low glycemic throughout the day. However, post workout is different. This is the only time an insulin spike is necessary. Having 1 insulin spike per day is not going to negatively impact your gains, ESPECIALLY if it's post workout.

so why would a sudden spike and fall be better than a gradual rise and fall for Post workout?

mafty
09-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Fruity pebbles.

dood your seriously a troll, stop posting here.

Bedwards
09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
so why would a sudden spike and fall be better than a gradual rise and fall for Post workout?

There is a "window of opportunity" post-workout. You need a QUICK spike in insulin to ensure those amino acids are QUICKLY being driven into the required cells. Do the research. I'm not arguing over proven facts. If you want to take a low-glycemic carb post-workout, and have minimal recovery levels, go right ahead! =)

longsnapper50
09-14-2008, 05:03 PM
There is a "window of opportunity" post-workout. You need a QUICK spike in insulin to ensure those amino acids are QUICKLY being driven into the required cells. Do the research. I'm not arguing over proven facts. If you want to take a low-glycemic carb post-workout, and have minimal recovery levels, go right ahead! =)

well from my research the "Post workout window" is not as short of a time as once thought. so give me your proven sources of high GI carbs PWO having better benefits on muscle growth in the long term compared to low GI and i will admit u are right and that my previous thoughts where wrong.

thebasil
09-14-2008, 05:06 PM

Any good carbs yall?

i like having some CC, whey, cheerios, and banana

longsnapper50
09-14-2008, 05:07 PM
dood your seriously a troll, stop posting here.

not a troll, just an aaron wanna be..... JK Xhale u cool.

TheWaffleIron
09-14-2008, 05:08 PM
You want to be taking a high glycemic carbohydrate post-workout. Get either dextrose or maltodextrin, or a 50/50 blend of both.

No, any carb will suffice.

Ummm... Please explain your reasoning. Insulin is an extremely anabolic hormone. A post-workout insulin spike is essential.

No, its not.

I do not agree with that at all. First of all, insulin is what is driving those amino acids into your cell. Without insulin, you have minimal recovery levels. Second, fats DO slow the absorbtion of other macronutrients. Lastly, I too strongly believe in eating very low glycemic throughout the day. However, post-workout is different. This is the only time an insulin spike is necessary. Having 1 insulin spike per day is not going to negatively impact your gains, ESPECIALLY if it's post-workout.

This is wrong on many levels.

Correct. You're not arguing over proven facts; you're argument is absolutely wrong, based off faulty data which isn't applicable to the vast majority of the population.

TheWaffleIron
09-14-2008, 05:09 PM
well from my research the "Post workout window" is not as short of a time as once thought. so give me your proven sources of high GI carbs PWO having better benefits on muscle growth in the long term compared to low GI and i will admit u are right and that my previous thoughts where wrong.

x2. I'd love to see some "research"

R-G
09-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Do you have a link to any studies done where an individual's diet stayed the same and the only difference was the source of his post-workout carbs? If so, I'd like to see it.

Bedwards
09-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Oh my goodness. Obviously you guys have your opinion, and I have mine. If oats works for you post-workout, then great! I've tried it, and I noticed a lack of energy levels, and muscular atrophy. I've always used maltodextrin post-workout, regardless if I'm cutting or bulking, and noticed great results. I'm leaving it here.

longsnapper50
09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh my goodness. Obviously you guys have your opinion, and I have mine. If oats works for you post-workout, then great! I've tried it, and I noticed a lack of energy levels, and muscular atrophy. I've always used maltodextrin post-workout, regardless if I'm cutting or bulking, and noticed great results. I'm leaving it here.

i was just inquiring on your proven evidence because i have yet to see any, but if there is some i will start adding a greater amount of higher GI carbs to my PWO shake. do u have any references for us?

Own3r
09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Cell Tech

http://megafitzone.com/images/celltechhcore67grape.JPG

eddied27
09-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Any good carbs yall?

Go here and you'll never need to know anymore about pre/post wo nutrition.....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

gator20jcl
09-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Top Round steak and white potato one of the best pwo meals you can have.

TheWaffleIron
09-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh my goodness. Obviously you guys have your opinion, and I have mine.

No, I have science. Educate yourself with an earlier post of mine:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=190084311&postcount=15

If oats works for you post-workout, then great! I've tried it, and I noticed a lack of energy levels, and muscular atrophy.

And you know you've experienced muscular atrophy directly as a result of taking oats, not maltodextrin, postwo how?

I've always used maltodextrin post-workout, regardless if I'm cutting or bulking, and noticed great results. I'm leaving it here.

Great. Any carb source will suffice.

FF8114
09-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Top Round steak and white potato one of the best pwo meals you can have.

It's Tipsta :) (I know there has to be someone here that this will make sense to)

Bedwards
09-14-2008, 05:38 PM
No, I have science. Educate yourself with an earlier post of mine:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=190084311&postcount=15

And you know you've experienced muscular atrophy directly as a result of taking oats, not maltodextrin, postwo how?

Great. Any carb source will suffice.

I have a very similar diet that I run everytime I diet down. The only difference I really made was changing my post-workout carb source. Within a week, I had lower energy levels, and noticed I lost size. I take contant measurements and bodyfat tests, and determined I was losing muscle. Anyways, I respect your opinion, I'm glad it works for you. I gotta go!

belairdfence99
09-14-2008, 05:40 PM

This guy is extremely right

belairdfence99
09-14-2008, 05:43 PM
While dextrose and maltodextrin are the quickest digesting they are also empty calories in a way. So it is your choice
IMO an ideal mix would be some fast GI like dextrose or sugar with some oats or sweet potato with your PWO protein

TheWaffleIron
09-14-2008, 05:52 PM
This guy is extremely right

Yes and no. He's correct in that a rise in insulin levels will augment protein synthesis. But, even only a small rise will have the same effects on protein synthesis as would a "spike."

belairdfence99
09-14-2008, 05:57 PM
yeah people just overreact to the word spike these days