PDA

View Full Version : Christopher Hitchens-Don't patronize Sarah Pallin

pleasesomeone
09-13-2008, 10:24 AM
http://www.slate.com/id/2199568/

best contemporary writer of our generation, no doubt.

pleasesomeone
09-13-2008, 10:28 AM
"Interviewed by Rick Warren at the grotesque Saddleback megachurch a short while ago, Sen. Barack Obama announced that Jesus had died on the cross to redeem him personally. How he knew this he did not say. But it will make it exceedingly difficult for him, or his outriders and apologists, to ridicule Palin for her own ludicrous biblical literalist beliefs."

Morbid_Mind
09-13-2008, 10:30 AM
"Interviewed by Rick Warren at the grotesque Saddleback megachurch a short while ago, Sen. Barack Obama announced that Jesus had died on the cross to redeem him personally. How he knew this he did not say. But it will make it exceedingly difficult for him, or his outriders and apologists, to ridicule Palin for her own ludicrous biblical literalist beliefs."

But Obama is Jesus

qmnbTBCktoM

pleasesomeone
09-13-2008, 10:32 AM
But Obama is Jesus

qmnbTBCktoM

ahh come on. I think that was a reasonable statement. He was referring to Guliani's denigration of Obama's work, implying the moral decency of being an organizer.

JUSA
09-13-2008, 10:34 AM
"Interviewed by Rick Warren at the grotesque Saddleback megachurch a short while ago, Sen. Barack Obama announced that Jesus had died on the cross to redeem him personally. How he knew this he did not say. But it will make it exceedingly difficult for him, or his outriders and apologists, to ridicule Palin for her own ludicrous biblical literalist beliefs." Good for Hitchens for slamming both guys. A lot of time you see more militant atheists giving complete passes to guys like Obama and getting irate over a Sarah Palin.

Hitchens is one of those guys that I really don't agree with all that much but I can't help but have respect him for his position as he is so eloquent and intelligent.

diesel-powered
09-13-2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.slate.com/id/2199568/

Hypocritchens is far from the best (being a former Trostskyist and all). He writes where the money invites.

JUSA
09-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Hypocritchens is far from the best (being a former Trostskyist and all). He writes where the money invites. You sad because he **** all over Obama in that article or are you not able to read at Hitchen's level?

user6548735121400001321
09-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Sarah Palin is much more religous than Obama = fail for Hitchens imo

pleasesomeone
09-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Good for Hitchens for slamming both guys. A lot of time you see more militant atheists giving complete passes to guys like Obama and getting irate over a Sarah Palin.

Hitchens is one of those guys that I really don't agree with all that much but I can't help but have respect him for his position as he is so eloquent and intelligent.
right on.

Hypocritchens is far from the best (being a former Trostskyist and all). He writes where the money invites.
You equate his skills as a writer with his political leanings as a college student?

Clearly you're not bright enough for me to waste further time explaining how dumb that is.

You sad because he **** all over Obama in that article or are you not able to read at Hitchen's level?

^^

pleasesomeone
09-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Sarah Palin is much more religous than Obama = fail for Hitchens imo

This is my personal opinion based on pure intuition. I believe Obama is probably a deist of some sort playing the game, I really do. But I have absolutely nothing concrete to base that on, and Hitchens fairly exposes this.

user6548735121400001321
09-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Most people in the world participate in religion on various levels,, to satisfy different needs, be they social, political or spiritual.Palin actually sincerely believes this crap, she is a fundamentalist christian, Obama is not.

curtis999
09-13-2008, 10:48 AM

The same can be said for ALL the candidates.

Difference is, how/if their beliefs influence the way they will govern.

Obama has gotten much ridicule for saying the moment of conception = life is "above his pay grade"

which in my opinon at least speaks to the fact that his PERSONAL beliefs may not be the beliefs the COUNTRY should hold.
...unlike McCain and Palin, who are pro-life because that is what God wants!

JUSA
09-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Most people in the world participate in religion on various levels,, to satisfy different needs, be they social, political or spiritual.Palin actually sincerely believes this crap, she is a fundamentalist christian, Obama is not. How would you know, again?

So much disinformation over Palin around what her beliefs are. First, if she isn't legislating those beliefs - do you care? She didn't ban any books or any of the other lies which are being told about her.

I don't share some of her beliefs, but I also don't really care. Why are you so intolerant?

I mean, I am not a Fundamentalist Christian. I believe in evolution and science, I don't care about Harry Potter or whatever other annoying things people tend to associate with Fundamentalists. My wife is a FC, though. We get along fine.

Try being tolerant of other people and their beliefs, bigot.

leafs43
09-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Most people in the world participate in religion on various levels,, to satisfy different needs, be they social, political or spiritual.Palin actually sincerely believes this crap, she is a fundamentalist christian, Obama is not.

So whenever Obama talks about faith we should assume he is fibbing?

So you would stand up for a guy that lies right to your face?

JUSA
09-13-2008, 10:52 AM

So you would stand up for a guy that lies right to your face? He's just lying to those dumb old Christians. They aren't even human beings, I don't think, so it's okay to lie to them. (saved him the time to type that out)

pleasesomeone
09-13-2008, 10:53 AM
So whenever Obama talks about faith we should assume he is fibbing?I think so

yes.

Being a realist is important in life.

user6548735121400001321
09-13-2008, 10:53 AM

He's not a fundamentalist.It's the fundamentalists we need to be wary of my friend, literally every decision they make will revert to what they think God is telling them to do.

diesel-powered
09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
right on.

You equate his skills as a writer with his political leanings as a college student?

Clearly you're not bright enough for me to waste further time explaining how dumb that is.

^^

In literal terms he is a great writer - but not what he writes. George Galloway MP owns him on a regular basis. I think highlighting his past opinion further demonstrates his hypocrisy - he suddenly turned to the dark side when money/power came into play, and the opportunity to become PR man for Bush.

pleasesomeone
09-13-2008, 11:00 AM
In literal terms he is a great writer - but not what he writes. George Galloway MP owns him on a regular basis. I think highlighting his past opinion further demonstrates his hypocrisy - he suddenly turned to the dark side when money/power came into play, and the opportunity to become PR man for Bush.

he absolutely destroys galloway. The debate he beat him so badly they booed galloway nearly off the stage and gave Hitch 2 standing O's.

He doesn't get paid to be PR guy for anybody; he criticizes bush all the time, particularly his faith.

You just cannot accept a genuine disagreement on the war, and thus, you are left only to pick apart at a mans character with straws. Pathetic.

user6548735121400001321
09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
How would you know, again?

So much disinformation over Palin around what her beliefs are. First, if she isn't legislating those beliefs - do you care? She didn't ban any books or any of the other lies which are being told about her.

I don't share some of her beliefs, but I also don't really care. Why are you so intolerant?

I mean, I am not a Fundamentalist Christian. I believe in evolution and science, I don't care about Harry Potter or whatever other annoying things people tend to associate with Fundamentalists. My wife is a FC, though. We get along fine.

Try being tolerant of other people and their beliefs, bigot.

On a personal level I don't care at all, when it comes to running the country however...

user6548735121400001321
09-13-2008, 01:10 PM
he absolutely destroys galloway. The debate he beat him so badly they booed galloway nearly off the stage and gave Hitch 2 standing O's.

He doesn't get paid to be PR guy for anybody; he criticizes bush all the time, particularly his faith.

You just cannot accept a genuine disagreement on the war, and thus, you are left only to pick apart at a mans character with straws. Pathetic.

I just watched the whole thing on youtube, they were booing hitchens and cheering Galloway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHXyfdvynzs

Jayce_
09-13-2008, 01:14 PM

No, Chomsky would be.

God damn people these days.

StartTheMachine
09-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I just watched the whole thing on youtube, they were booing hitchens and cheering Galloway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHXyfdvynzs

Oh, wow, a crowd booed the man presenting the extremely unpopular position? Additionally, that's no basis for deciding who owned whom (read: democratic fallacy).

No, Chomsky would be.

God damn people these days.

Noam is overrated. Not that I'd necessarily call Hitchens the best either. That's quite a title to be throwing around.

Jayce_
09-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Noam is overrated. Not that I'd necessarily call Hitchens the best either. That's quite a title to be throwing around.

Chomsky holds the title of the Most Quoted Living Author, he has changed many fields with his work. (Computers, Psychology, Media, etcetera.) People need to look at his work aside from the Conspiracy Theories and they'd see just how much he has done.

He's proven things that have helped advance our understanding of human beings and changed the world.

StartTheMachine
09-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Chomsky holds the title of the Most Quoted Living Author

Wikipedia is telling me this:

According to the Arts and Humanities Citation Index in 1992, Chomsky was cited as a source more often than any other living scholar during the 1980-92 period, and was the eighth most-cited scholar.

So I don't know whether he currently hold that title, nor do I know how often they run those studies.

he has changed many fields with his work. (Computers, Psychology, Media, etcetera.) People need to look at his work aside from the Conspiracy Theories and they'd see just how much he has done.
While I recognize and applaud his efforts in so many different fields, I think the variety of fields he worked in adds more to his popularity than it does to the greatness of his collective contribution. Being well known across several fields makes you a more quotable person simply because you're more recognizable.

He's proven things that have helped advance our understanding of human beings and changed the world.
While I'm not trying to diminish that fact, many people can say that, and that alone doesn't make you "the best".

diesel-powered
09-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Wikipedia is telling me this:

So I don't know whether he currently hold that title, nor do I know how often they run those studies.

While I recognize and applaud his efforts in so many different fields, I think the variety of fields he worked in adds more to his popularity than it does to the greatness of his collective contribution. Being well known across several fields makes you a more quotable person simply because you're more recognizable.

While I'm not trying to diminish that fact, many people can say that, and that alone doesn't make you "the best".

You are quite pathetic. Just face the fact that Noam is a better writer and intellectual than your neocon hero.

StartTheMachine
09-13-2008, 02:32 PM
You are quite pathetic. Just face the fact that Noam is a better writer and intellectual than your neocon hero.
God you're dumb. Quote me where I said Hitchens was a better writer. I'm simply against the throwing around of such a lofty title. Fcuktard.

edit: I just repped you accidentally. Meant to neg. Guess that makes me the fcuktard. I'll neg twice on spread to even it out.

diesel-powered
09-13-2008, 02:42 PM
God you're dumb. Quote me where I said Hitchens was a better writer. I'm simply against the throwing around of such a lofty title. Fcuktard.

edit: I just repped you accidentally. Meant to neg. Guess that makes me the fcuktard. I'll neg twice on spread to even it out.

So in other words, you begrudgingly admit that Chomsky (a liberal) is.

I couldn't care less about rep points little child :rolleyes:

StartTheMachine
09-13-2008, 02:47 PM

I'M A LIBERAL.

What, you're a partisan hack, so you assume everybody else is?

user6548735121400001321
09-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Oh, wow, a crowd booed the man presenting the extremely unpopular position? Additionally, that's no basis for deciding who owned whom (read: democratic fallacy).

Read the post I was quoting.

StartTheMachine
09-14-2008, 09:30 AM

I'M A LIBERAL.

What, you're a partisan hack, so you assume everybody else is?

Still waiting on a response here, broseph.

Nextstopearth
09-14-2008, 10:20 AM
"All candidates were asked "Are you offended by the phrase 'Under God' in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?" Her response was:

Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers [it's] good enough for me, and I'll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance."

Hahah