PDA

View Full Version : ask yourself these questions

chodan9
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
back when I first started in AA there was a pamphlet called
"am I an alcoholic? answer these 10 questions" and it had stuff like:
have you ever drank first thing in the morning?
or
once you start drinking do you have trouble stopping?

I thought I would put up my own personal list for fun "its only funny now because I have been clean and sober a little while ;)"

1. Have you ever "came to" behind the wheel of your automobile..... and realize its in mid air preparing to land?
2.Have you ever hit a boat with a car
2. have you ever woke in the morning to go to your car and find the drive in movie speaker still attached to your window?
4.Have you ever awoke from a nap... in a resturaunt face down in a plate of steak and mushroom gravy?
5. have you ever gotten more than 4 police calls in one night reporting you for drunk driving? before cell phones?
6.Have you ever wondered what its like to have a long relationship? say 2 months?
7. Have you ever looked at a cancer patient and the only thing you could think of is "I wonder what kind of pain meds they get for that?"?
8.Have you ever stopped your motorcycle at a stop light and be so high you forget to put your feet down and the bike topples over?
9. When you decided you might have a drinking or drug problem was it then unanimous in your neighborhood?
10.Does drinking cause you to break out in spots? like nashville,dallas or vegas?

if you answered yes to any of these questions then your truly f***ed up and need help!
I unfortunately experienced all of these!

66mark
09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Question#1 brought back a memory for me. When I was 19 I "came to" and my car was plowing through a snowbank in the ditch at 55 mph. The deep snow saved my ass.

jawter
09-08-2008, 09:54 PM
4.Have you ever awoke from a nap... in a resturaunt face down in a plate of steak and mushroom gravy?

I have woken up in a garage miles from the barracks by the sound of thunder rapped in an oily and dirty piece of scrap carpet. When I looked outside I was across the way from the apartment of a girl I was seeing at the time.

10.Does drinking cause you to break out in spots? like nashville,dallas or vegas?

In referrence to the first answer I had at some point rolled down into a ditch filled with stinging nettles prior to reaching the garage. Does that count?

GuyJin
09-08-2008, 10:53 PM
chodan9

I've never had a problem with alcohol or drugs, but I truly respect anyone who can face their problems so honestly and come out on top.

REPPED!

Jimislash
09-09-2008, 06:11 AM
Actually, C9, you should be commended for your ability and strength. People don't realize that the success rate of AA is actually equal to the probability that somebody will sponataneously quit their addiction on their own.

Doh, I have to spread the reps before giving them to you again.

eomrat
09-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I have woken up in a garage miles from the barracks by the sound of thunder rapped in an oily and dirty piece of scrap carpet. When I looked outside I was across the way from the apartment of a girl I was seeing at the time.

In referrence to the first answer I had at some point rolled down into a ditch filled with stinging nettles prior to reaching the garage. Does that count?

I once "fell asleep" in a bed of stinging nettles outside a cathouse in Fulda, GE in a foot of snow, waiting on a buddy. I say fell asleep because we used to have a theory that if you decide to sleep somewhere, no matter where, it wasn't passing out. I stayed "asleep" for 4 hours before the house mother brought me inside and cured my near hypothermia with Johnny Walker.

DanVanVliet
09-09-2008, 09:17 AM
I guess I passed I got a yes on all ten.

chodan9
09-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Actually, C9, you should be commended for your ability and strength. People don't realize that the success rate of AA is actually equal to the probability that somebody will sponataneously quit their addiction on their own.

Doh, I have to spread the reps before giving them to you again.

I dont know about that, but quitting the addiction is only a fraction of the story, helping people find a life worth living is the rest of it :)

SP1966
09-09-2008, 10:12 AM
1. Have you ever "came to" behind the wheel of your automobile..... and realize its in mid air preparing to land?

Here is a story for ya. Back in my jarhead days myself and two buddies took off from Yuma Az on a Friday evening and headed to Phoenix, last minute thing, no reservations or even a plan. We get there after midnight and cannot find a hotel with a vacancy. So the next bright idea is to head for LA! :eek:

We arrive in LA around 5AM and go looking for a friend who was from Long Beach, find him around 6:30AM, he says get lost, come back around noon. Good friend! :D So we screw around for a bit and decide to head for San Diego!

Arrive in San Diego dead tired, looking for a hotel when we decide were to f'n tired to do anything anymore anyways, lets head back to Yuma! :rolleyes:

Long story short, I am sleeping in the back seat, and both guys in the front are sleeping also!! :eek: Car starts bouncing around I wake up and look out the front window and we are headed right at the biggest f'n sign I had ever seen. The driver wakes up and steers the car away from the sign, out into the desert and through a barbed wire fence then back towards the road and back through the barbed wire fence!

We did in fact make it back to Yuma alive less then 24 hours from when we left!

Now the really funny part of this story is that the guy who owned the car drove the entire night, would not let either of the other two drive because we had been drinking. He had just got his car out of the body shop the day before the road trip after having it repainted. Had to put it back in the body shop on Monday to fix the fence damage!

You think that is funny? When he got the car back the second time he loaned it to someone who went out and got drunk, rolled and totaled it out within a week!! :D

The good old days!! :D

Dad_in_KC
09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
People don't realize that the success rate of AA is actually equal to the probability that somebody will sponataneously quit their addiction on their own.

I've heard this before also and would not argue its validity. I do know that quitting drinking and drugging was only a small part of my recovery. Learning how to live was my biggest problem. Drinking and drugging was not my problem it was my solution. I could not handle being sober. Learning how to live like a "normal" person was way harder for me than the actual cessation of drinking and drugging.

Sober since 10/1/2006. Hoo Rah.

Mike

Reps to Chodan9

chodan9
09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I guess I passed I got a yes on all ten.

DANG!!

I thought I would be the only one! heh heh

you probably have your own list also

baretta
09-09-2008, 12:20 PM
being a fellow recovering alcoholic (2 1/2 years now!!), I couldn't pass this one up.

I actually had a friend that did #8. I was riding a bike behind him. Then I fell over from laughing at him!

Dad_in_KC
09-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I once got "stopped" by a police officer while I was waiting patiently for the flashing red traffic light to turn green.... amazingly I did not get a DUI as it was back in the day when cops weren't required to arrest drunks. He asked me where I lived and then followed me home...

SP1966
09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I once got "stopped" by a police officer while I was waiting patiently for the flashing red traffic light to turn green.... amazingly I did not get a DUI as it was back in the day when cops weren't required to arrest drunks. He asked me where I lived and then followed me home...
Damn, you are old! :eek:

Chipman
09-09-2008, 01:02 PM
It started in Chandler Ariz with a two day binge of mescaline, torquilla, blond hash, and some Coors beer. ON the third day I woke in a Nogales Mexico jail.

I figure I broke a few of them do's and don'ts by the size of the pump knots on my head and body.