PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition help.

kgriffith
09-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey guys, I am new to lifting as well as nutrition.. I am 225lbs 6'3" . I have been dieting for two months and started weight training 6 times a week for the past 3 weeks. I seem to have hit a plateau at 225. I think that my problem is that I am not eating enough during the day. I have aprroximately 6-7 meals per day and average about 220-250g protein and 1300-1500 calories. I want to increase my caloric intake but I am unsure of where to go to. My MBR is roughly 3755 which is factoring in for between moderate and heavy exercise regiment. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

firmanator
09-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey guys, I am new to lifting as well as nutrition.. I am 225lbs 6'3" . I have been dieting for two months and started weight training 6 times a week for the past 3 weeks. I seem to have hit a plateau at 225. I think that my problem is that I am not eating enough during the day. I have aprroximately 6-7 meals per day and average about 220-250g protein and 1300-1500 calories. I want to increase my caloric intake but I am unsure of where to go to. My MBR is roughly 3755 which is factoring in for between moderate and heavy exercise regiment. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

your calories are way too low for how big and active you are. you can only do that for so long and then your body will plateau. you dont necessarily have to eat that range every day, but you can AVERAGE in a low calorie range...meaning some days eat more cals, some days less. this can help avoid plateauing...
but if you stop losing, raise your cals. and then lower again if you want after a while.
so youre basically getting 60-70% or so of your cals from protein...just raise the amounts of carbs n fats, more so the fats probly. keep your carb sources from whole grains, fruits, veggies...more complex carb sources. fats from natural animal sources like milk and meat, not excess through butter or sour cream on a baked potato, you get the idea....

firmanator
09-08-2008, 11:35 AM
wait a minute...is this K GRIFFILITH!!!!????!??!

kgriffith
09-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Yeah it is but I dont think you know me :)

kgriffith
09-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Alright I have slowly begun to raise my caloric intake. What range do you think that I should aim for? I have been eating 1800-2000 consistently for 4 days now and I am not hungry but at the same time I am not sure if this is enough. My body fat percentage is 22% and my goal is to be down to 10-12% by mid October. Can you give me some advice that could help me reach this goal? Our lifting schedule is M-W-F 4 am and 5 pm. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I walk 5 miles making sure to keep my heart rate under 120 for most of the workout. A sample from my diet log fromt the past few days is:

7:30 1/2 cup Egg whites with chick/turkey sausage
9:30 Monster Milk shake
12:15 Mighy muffin (meat loaf muffin) with sugar snap peas, wheat toast with 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
3:15 Monster Milk shake
7:00 1/2 Gatorade, diced chicken breast with buffalo sauce side and mixed vegetables.
9:30 Custom shake using Muscle milk Light.

This days intake was: 59g fat, 219g protein, 1855c, 92g carbs.

This is pretty typical of my diet these days. So what do you think? What can I do to hit this goal I set? Thanks for your help!

kgriffith
09-15-2008, 03:05 AM
bump

kgriffith
09-15-2008, 04:45 PM
No help yet?

firmanator
09-15-2008, 06:00 PM
youre diet sounds ok, in general anything below 500 below maintenance you will lose muscle as well
and first, set a realistic goal!! there is no way in hell you will cut your bf% in half by october!!! sorry, just honest. setting realistic goals is much better, and you can actually achieve them, and wont be disappointed when you fail.
(i have a friend named kelly griffith, i thought you were him lol)

firmanator
09-15-2008, 06:04 PM
should probably be eating closer to 3000 cals. to preserve/add muscle while losing fat.

belairdfence99
09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
how were you gaining muscle in the first place with half as much food as i eat in a day. EAT MAN!

firmanator
09-15-2008, 07:05 PM
how were you gaining muscle in the first place with half as much food as i eat in a day. EAT MAN!

probly wasnt. just got a bit stronger and lost some fat, thought he gained muscle

kgriffith
09-16-2008, 04:36 AM
So you think that if I switch to 3000 cals per day it will help me with my ultimate goal of droping bodyfat percentage and increasing muscle mass? I just dont want to over eat and then put the fat I worked hard to lose back on. (30lbs lost)

kgriffith
09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
probly wasnt. just got a bit stronger and lost some fat, thought he gained muscle

I am mostly trying to lose fat, not as concerned about building muscle I just dont want to lose the muscle I have.

firmanator
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I am mostly trying to lose fat, not as concerned about building muscle I just dont want to lose the muscle I have.

if you dont want to lose muscle you have you should not eat on average any less than 500 cals below your maintenance. depends on the person so thats a plus or minus value. any less you will just lose muscle. you can only gain muscle so fast and can only lose fat so fast.

you need to eat plenty of protein to support keeping your muscle, stick to good fats and complex carbs. if you eat really well you can eat 3000 cals and lose fat no prob. diet is so important, most people dont realize how important it really is...