PDA

View Full Version : Need More Calories

Kratos21
09-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Sup Hombres uuh rite now im have a prob with how many calories i consume i just finished losing 60 pounds i weigh 185 and now im tryin to gain lean muscles mass but i dont know how many calories to eat rite now im eating 1700-1800 calories but its all clean food and i do 30-45 min of low -moderate intensity cardio and i lift 6 days out of the week...should i eat more or what should i do?????

Brendon9686
09-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I would recommend using one of those calculators to figure out how much you need to maintain. Than add 300-500 cals to that per day. Then after a week, weigh yourself, if you gained and like what you see in the mirror, then stick with it, otherwise make proper adjustments. No one can know for sure, you have to figure it out yourself. trial and error

Borbe
09-05-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm at about 6000 right now. You could probably go that high if you're serious about gains.

justanothagirl
09-05-2008, 11:21 PM
I would recommend using one of those calculators to figure out how much you need to maintain. Than add 300-500 cals to that per day. Then after a week, weigh yourself, if you gained and like what you see in the mirror, then stick with it, otherwise make proper adjustments. No one can know for sure, you have to figure it out yourself. trial and errorx2 and work your way up, like add 100 calories everyday until u reach ur calorie goal to let your body get used to it

ballzitch
09-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I would recommend using one of those calculators to figure out how much you need to maintain. Than add 300-500 cals to that per day. Then after a week, weigh yourself, if you gained and like what you see in the mirror, then stick with it, otherwise make proper adjustments. No one can know for sure, you have to figure it out yourself. trial and error
dont do this bro. those calculators are only a ballpark figure. if you are eating a certain amount of calories now and you are maintaining that is your bmr. so you wont need one of those calcs to figure that out what your maintenance is. if your weight is stable with what you are eating now increase the cals buy 500 and that will be a nice lean bulk. you will certainly have to continue increasing as time goes on but take it slow and dont let bf get out of line. also id continue doing the cardio, if you absolutely want to drop it be sure you drop it slowly.

jackedrabbit
09-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Use one of those online calculators to ballpark it, but ultimately it's trial and error and CLOSE self-monitoring. You have to remember that when it comes to all of this nutrition and bodybuilding "stuff", there's no real formula- just general guidelines which MUST be adjusted per individual.

The key is to have patience with each change you make. The body takes some time to respond, so don't switch things up too quickly or too often. Be patient, consistent and dedicated.

To answer your immediate question, I'd start by dropping some cardio down and increasing the cals bit by bit and see how your body reacts. You need to ease yourself out of dieting and into maintenence, and then into bulking. Give your metabolism time to readjust/repair and catch up to your cals. Don't rush it, but don't hold back either. Rebounding after dieting can be a great thing if done right.

TrueSixpack
09-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm at about 6000 right now. You could probably go that high if you're serious about gains.

serious about getting fat, yes.....good post

cyanize
09-06-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry but that many calories will just lead to massive fat gains, even if you're huge, you'd need some partitioning "support" to make good use of those calories and nutrients.

I mean look at guys like matthor, he's even eating less on a bulk than usual when he's running all his conditioning stuff. Sure there's a lot of genetics involved, but still telling folks to eat 6k/day is simply irresponsible if you don't know their situation.

Borbe
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
serious about getting fat, yes.....good post

Maybe you're just not burning up energy like you use to pops.

I'm sorry but that many calories will just lead to massive fat gains, even if you're huge, you'd need some partitioning "support" to make good use of those calories and nutrients.

I mean look at guys like matthor, he's even eating less on a bulk than usual when he's running all his conditioning stuff. Sure there's a lot of genetics involved, but still telling folks to eat 6k/day is simply irresponsible if you don't know their situation.

I'm sorry but is eating less calories going to produce bigger muscle gains? No, it's not. Fat is probably going to be added but honestly, 6000 calories is not a lot.

OP, eating 1700 calories is only going to get you smaller.

TrueSixpack
09-07-2008, 06:05 AM
pops? with 3x as much muscle I promise you my metabolism is much higher than yours at 21...just sayn

no one in my league would take in 6k....it's insane

Borbe
09-07-2008, 04:29 PM
pops? with 3x as much muscle I promise you my metabolism is much higher than yours at 21...just sayn

no one in my league would take in 6k....it's insane

Three times as much muscle? I think even you can comprehend how ridiculous of a statement that is. I'm not seeing any stats here either, pops.

Cram
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Three times as much muscle? I think even you can comprehend how ridiculous of a statement that is. I'm not seeing any stats here either, pops.

Hmm I don't understand where he got the comparison either, what with the lack of stats for both of you.

Met a number of people on bulks doing 5000+ Cals. What matters is where you're getting the Cals from and what your goals are. If you're diet plan sucks, you can lift as heavy as you want but it'll mostly turn to fat and stay fat. Good cals + Lots of Cardio + Heavy Lifting can work muscle wonders, but in the end you're probably still going to need to go on a cut.

As for people in leagues, it's a fairly common practice to bulk (including high to extremely high caloric intakes) in your off-season and then go on a major cut.

determined4000
09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Def need to up the calories, your BMR is probably at least 1900. Add in all that exercise,lifting and the fact you are trying to create a calorie surplus and you may easily require 3000 calories to see any muscle gains. I'd up it 500 this week, see what happens (probably not much weight gain at all) and then up it another 200-300 a week until you are seeing some gains.

Kratos21
09-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Iight yeah i just up my protien to 300g and my carbs to 280g and my fat to 60-80g and it all clean food and im takn in about 2500 cals but i feel so full i cant eat anymore i increased my water to 1 gallon a day and i feel more energy this will be my start of the 2nd week eating this much and drinking this much so hopefully im doin this rite...