PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else get kidney stones?

taf1968
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I had the joy of spending most of Labor Day afternoon & evening in the ER . . . literally floored by a kidney stone. Was taking my son back from the Rockies game and it hit me like a B-52 carpet bombing run while we were on the light rail train home.

I'll never get over how something that tiny can bring a grown man with a pretty high threshhold for pain to his knees. Spent Tuesday drugged up on Vicodin and hurling every 30 minutes, by Wednesday the throwing up was gone but felt like Chuck Liddell had used my kidneys for speed-bag practice, then finally passed the little b@stard today.

Anyone else go through that misery? This is my second in about 7 years . . . but sure as hell hope it's at least that long before I get another. Needless to say, workouts did not get done this week--hoping to get back in and do something Saturday.

Anyway, if you've never had a kidney stone . . . lucky freakin' you! :D

If you have experienced that unique excruciating pain . . . "where were you when it first happened"?

magnumfreak
09-05-2008, 12:46 AM
only once. hopefully never again. Cranberry juice 2-3 times a week to help keep the system clear.

cybercop
09-05-2008, 05:15 AM
I've passed about 8 in the last five years (one was so large it required hospitalization and lithotripsy treatment to help break up the stone). The stones are a side effect of a medicine I was taking--and a CAT scan revealed I still have more in my kidneys--just waiting for their chance to ruin my day!
The pain is agonizing, and it always amazed me, too, just how debilitating it can be...
The first one hit me in a movie theater--and I thought i was dying. I had to leave and just laid around all night in pain--I went to the doctor the next day.
If you still have stones--drink water all day long, it will help keep them manageable and eventually flush them out. As the poster above said--cranberry juice is very helpful in keeping the body from forming new ones.

Marius_Ursus
09-05-2008, 06:04 AM
I've never had them, but my brother-in-law used to have problems with them. His is related to serum calcium levels. He started taking cranberry extract pills a couple of years ago and the problems stopped.

Pool_Shark
09-05-2008, 06:09 AM
One of my sisters had them, and now one of my brothers. There is a guy at work that gets them all the time and so does his dad.

They can be hereditary, but that doesn't mean everyone in the family will get them. Once they pass or have been surgically removed, they normally analyze them to tell what kind they are. After that they can tell you what foods you may need to avoid in order to minimize your chances for getting them again.

My friend at work and his dad have been told to cut out caffeine and dark liquids in general. His dad listened, but he drinks at least 2 large cups of coffee per day.

maryinmesquite
09-05-2008, 06:41 AM
One of my sisters had them, and now one of my brothers. There is a guy at work that gets them all the time and so does his dad.

They can be hereditary, but that doesn't mean everyone in the family will get them. Once they pass or have been surgically removed, they normally analyze them to tell what kind they are. After that they can tell you what foods you may need to avoid in order to minimize your chances for getting them again.

My friend at work and his dad have been told to cut out caffeine and dark liquids in general. His dad listened, but he drinks at least 2 large cups of coffee per day.
my ex got them frequently ,, they sent his off ,, had calcium issues but still ate milk ,ice cream etc,, he had to have his taken out twice

slave2beingFit
09-05-2008, 07:34 AM
I have gone through this myself, first time it showed itself on Christmas eve. I had planned a quiet day of burning candles, old holiday movies, bottle of wine and wrapping presents. Instead it put me in bed, flat on my back. Thought I had lifted or twisted my back while shopping and carrying gifts and tree, etc... I made it through Christmas Day only because I was chomping on my sister's vicadin script. Next day, went to ER and was misdiagnosed as a bladder infection??? Antibotics helped with infections and symptons subsided for awhile.

Then Happy 4th of July - was never so sick in my life - stone blocked passage and stuff was backing up apparently....... I didn't know what was going on, very high fever, vomiting, diahrea, ugly, ugly mess. Next morning at daylight, took myself to ER. I was admitted and had surgery the next day. My situation turned into a real ordeal, was complicated with a blood clot that prevented real treatment of stone for 3 months.

I would rather birth babies drug free - - than have another kidney stone.

For me, my diet coke habit built the stones. Needless to say, I now drink green tea and crystal light lemonade and water.

Good News : This was the start of me paying closer attention to my health and fitness, and recently lead me to bb.com.........

I have a long way to go, but I am here now, in good company.

DanVanVliet
09-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Yes and they hurt like hell.

maryinmesquite
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Yes and they hurt like hell.when my ex was in the hospital , he had a male nurse and he said that it was the closest a man could get to labor was a kidney stone

DanVanVliet
09-05-2008, 07:46 AM
when my ex was in the hospital , he had a male nurse and he said that it was the closest a man could get to labor was a kidney stone

I don't know about that but passing it was no fun I drank cranberry juice for days and still do.

taf1968
09-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Both of mine were around holidays. My first hit me the day before Thanksgiving (ironically--not much to be thankful for on that particular day other than morphine). Then the Labor Day one.

I didn't mention that my dad has terrible kidney stone problems . . . way worse than me. He is so used to it now that he can deal with and pass pretty huge stones with only minor discomfort--he just kind of shrugs them off, especially if they are relatively small. I get sick to my stomach just looking at some of his stones. They look like torture devices.

The ultimate irony for him is that he was born with 3 kidneys . . . so he has a spare. And the extra one generates stones as well.

Mark1T
09-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes, I have had about 5 or 6 episodes since I was 20. None large enough to require surgery, but the pain is unimaginable. I have not had one since 2000, because I make sure I stay hydrated, especially at the gym.

Dehydration is the main enemy, because without liquid in your internal organs, nothing flows easily, including uric acid. When you become dehydrated, instead of flushing uric acid from your kidneys, there is no liquid to flush them. So, the uric acid crystalizes and assists the manufacturing of stones.

I always take 1 liter of water with me to the gym, because when you are working out, there is no possible way to hydrate yourself efficiently just by using the water fountain.

I researched the internet quite a bit a while back and found that there is a very effective home remedy for kidney stones. Many people - not just a few - suggest the following: If you get a kidney stone, take 2 or 3 ounces of pure lemon juice mixed with 2 or 3 ounces of olive or canola oil and drink it. They say that within 24 hours it should pass. But, make sure you drink a lot of water at the same time. If it happens to me, I will be doing the lemon juice and oil thing 2 to 3 times per day. The lemon juice breaks down the stone and the oil lubricates the tubes where the stones travel.

For chronic kidney stone sufferers, Potassium Citrate tablets are used to prevent kidney stones - prescription needed.

Oh - I have had stones hit me in my sleep and one at work.

antonbrn
09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I had my first attack when I was at work. My sister came to my work, picked me up and took me to the hospital. I thought I was going to die! It kind of feels like someone has a knife jabbed into your lower back, and is twisting it side to side. Sometimes I can pass them and sometimes I have to have litro or something else to get them out. PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

inweightlifter
09-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Yep, Had three of em now, the first two had to be removed, the third i eventually passed. It was no fun at all and everyone I talked to said it is worse than childbirth. (this even from a lady that had gone thru both) I find that if i keep my kidneys flushed, the problems have been minimalized. I suggest everyone drink lots of water. I get calcium oxalate stones, which means i have to watch nuts, rhubarb, gooseberries and chocolate.

ricbig
09-07-2008, 09:36 PM
i heard u pee the rock out of your penis head

inweightlifter
09-08-2008, 10:31 AM
i heard u pee the rock out of your penis head

Actually it is more like a sand bur if you know what that is...

taf1968
09-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Actually it is more like a sand bur if you know what that is...

It's definitely no fun . . . although I have to say that peeing out the stone is definitely the "easy" part. I didn't feel either of mine actually come out. But like everyone has said, the pain from when it first hits all the way through traveling down to your bladder is almost unimaginable.

My urologist told me that the stones themselves rarely are the culprit for the pain--meaning it's not usually the stone rubbing/scratching, etc that causes the intense pain. He says it's the pressure in the kidney and the "plumbing" from the liquid getting backed up in a system that's not designed to get plugged up.

Whatever the reason . . . all I know is it hurts like nothing I have experienced outside of the stones. I've blown out my knee, broken my wrist, dispocated my shoulder, etc and none of those were even in the same zipcode as the kidney stone for intensity and duration of pain. My separated ribs were the only thing that compare even moderately . . . but the stones have been far worse that that.

Here's my CAT scan from last week. You can see the stone and how much bigger my left kidney was compared to the other one.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc274/tahusker/KidneyStone.jpg