PDA

View Full Version : 45 kilo gain on bench in 5 weeks - anti-depressants are poisen

Sim882
08-28-2008, 12:19 AM
I was on lexapro for most of this year, couldn't gain muscle, got fatter, and basically got weak.

My best lift without doubt is my bench - and it fell from 110kgx5 to 75x5kg this year, despite a calorie surplus.

As soon as I got off the SSRI antidepressants, my strength has amazingly improved.

I've already exceeded my all time best on bench, and in 5 weeks have improved to 120kx5.

I wonder whether this has happened to anyone else.

My other lifts have improved too, although none of my other lifts are nearly as impressive as my bench. For example, I'm quite weak at overhead press, and this on anti-depressants fell from 55x5kg to 35x5 and has returned to its original level in the 5 weeks.

It is difficult to assess the damage on squats and bent over rows, because I only now squat ATG and do proper form (completely bent over) rows, although needless to say these lifts have improved rapidly since going off of the lexapro.

terminaltorture
08-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Everything I hear about SSRIs is terrible. They seem to do more harm than good.

Heavy_Beats
08-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Physical exercise is very good anti depressant IMO.

Sim882
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Physical exercise is very good anti depressant IMO.

Yeah physical exercise is good.

Basically, I have had chronic headaches for 2.5 years, and had just started working at a top-tier commercial law firm and was having major anxiety/depression issues caused by this.

I've got a leave of absence from the firm, and no longer need the SSRI to get me through work. I was exercising like crazy still while working there, but while exercise helps (whilst ur doing it), there are limits to its powers

TheRockShow182
09-09-2008, 04:00 AM
I have literally spent the last week researching nothing but the effects long and short term on anti-depressants.

Basically they work by making your brain chemistry function unnaturally. When I started Lexapro several months ago it did help at first but there is a biochemical reason for that. I am lowering my dosage from 30mg to nothing and will be supplementing naturally if I feel the need to a few weeks after I quit this stuff.

It's good to hear that you are improving physically after quitting Lex. I am hoping for the same thing after noticing that it was beginning to mess with my body. If you are interested I have some great articles on SSRIs and Lexapro in general.

roman209
09-09-2008, 04:43 AM
I believe that the depression drugs would make you lose strength for sure...any hard drugs i think would have the same effect...im not an expert but everytime i see someone rapid deterioate in the gym its because they went on something - other than the gas...when they come off their body naturally goes back to normal and they start to reach a healthy body weight. Maybe all your training in terrible body conditions helped it to become more efficient...because 265pounds for 5 reps is impressive for a 160pounder.

Which firm were ya working at if you dont mind?