PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and then Cutting...

FF2
08-24-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm a beginner and many people have suggested to bulk up to gain body fat and muscle mass.

I'm curious, what's the benefit to gaining body fat and then having to start cutting later on? Why not just stay lean and build muscle without trying to gain body fat?

bobbybuilder1
08-24-2008, 07:15 AM
No one aims to gain body fat, however you cannot gain quality muscle without accepting some fat gains, therefore after gaining sufficent muscle, you will undoubtabley be left with some bodyfat. This is now where a cut comes into play which will enable you to loose the bodyfat you have gained.

Shadowcast
08-24-2008, 07:16 AM
You can bulk w/o gaining much body fat if you do it right, it's more about feeding your muscles with enough stuff to grow.. the body fat is just a side effect of eating tons.

Fukes12
08-24-2008, 08:14 AM
You can bulk w/o gaining much body fat if you do it right, it's more about feeding your muscles with enough stuff to grow.. the body fat is just a side effect of eating tons.

The problem with aiming for NO FAT GAIN during a bulk is that you will generally not be 100% efficient in gaining Lean Mass as well. You would have to sacrafice some muscle gain to ensure all your calorie surplus will be going to muscle and not fat. However yes it is possible, IMO not worth it.

Canz
08-24-2008, 10:00 AM
your best bet is to find your maintenance calories for the day (do 15 x your bodyweight) then add 500 calories to that. doing that will be + 3,500 calories a week = 1lb

JusSumMuscleGi
08-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Of course keep in mind if you do that, you CAN'T gain 50+ lb's of muscle in a year, so lots of that WILL be fat

Salvione
08-24-2008, 11:23 AM
to gain mass you need to take in more than maintenance.. to stay lean while bulking is possible but you might not get as much gains as you possibly could

Canz
08-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Of course keep in mind if you do that, you CAN'T gain 50+ lb's of muscle in a year, so lots of that WILL be fat

i wouldnt say a lot of it will be fat

a bulk done correctly you could probably pull of a muscle to fat ratio of 2:1

for example 12lb gained would be 8lb muscle : 4 lb fat